HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

news from last night's community meeting:

Quote:
Developer aims for summer start on West Loop project
Mixed-use development at Randolph and Halsted would get a hotel, apartments, offices and retail space.

By David Roeder@RoederDavid Jan 8, 2020, 11:16am CST

A view of the mixed-use development proposed for 725 W. Randolph St. with architecture by Roger Ferris + Partners and Perkins Eastman. Related Midwest

With principal tenants signed up, the developer of a mixed-use project on the block east of Halsted Street between Randolph and Washington streets said he hopes to start construction this summer and finish the complex in three years.

Curt Bailey, president of Related Midwest, laid out the project’s timetable at a community meeting Tuesday night called by Ald. Walter Burnett Jr. (27th) and the West Loop Community Organization. The meeting was part of Burnett’s process for gathering local input before deciding to support a zoning proposal.

“We need to get in the ground with this development,” Bailey said, citing strong demand for apartments and hotel rooms in the burgeoning area. He said the project, just west of the Kennedy Expressway, would become a gateway to Randolph’s Restaurant Row.

Related, one of Chicago’s most active developers, is proposing a 550-foot-tall tower at 725 W. Randolph St. with an Equinox hotel and fitness club, plus 370 apartments. The Washington side, currently a Bank of America branch, would get a 250-foot-tall office building. Bailey said Bank of America and a Soul Cycle fitness club will anchor that building.

A four-story building at 737 W. Randolph St., home to the Haymarket Pub & Brewery, would be kept.
source: https://chicago.suntimes.com/busines...elated-midwest

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Sometimes I hate being right about the heights... But I guess I understand with the shift in programming. But damn... 670' would have been fucking awesome.

Parking underground is a good thing.

Last edited by BVictor1; Jan 8, 2020 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:41 PM

Quote:

Curt Bailey, president of Related Midwest, laid out the project’s timetable at a community meeting Tuesday night called by Ald. Walter Burnett Jr. (27th) and the West Loop Community Organization.

So like, what's this timetable they spake of...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
So like, what's this timetable they spake of...
it was laid out in the sentence directly above the one you quoted from the article:

Quote:
With principal tenants signed up, the developer of a mixed-use project on the block east of Halsted Street between Randolph and Washington streets said he hopes to start construction this summer and finish the complex in three years.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:21 PM

So they chopped off 120 feet, but the number of apartments is unchanged at 370?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
So they chopped off 120 feet, but the number of apartments is unchanged at 370?
They chopped 75’ from the 615’ approved proposal and that was down from when the project was introduced at 670’

Parking is now also below grade.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 12:11 AM

I know someone posted it before but can someone repost the webcam shortcut to 800 fulton market?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
it was laid out in the sentence directly above the one you quoted from the article:
Thank you

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 1:26 AM

I'll happily take a height reduction if it means underground parking instead of an ungodly podium.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:36 AM

^ absolutely....underground parking i hope becomes the new trend in this city... its all about the street level experience with an inviting and activating presence.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:13 AM
THAT Guy

Related Midwest Downsizes Equinox Hotel Plan From 58 To 48 Stories

Ald. Walter Burnett Jr., who will likely back the project, said he will push for the Halsted 'L' stop to be reopened as development continues to boom.

...On Tuesday night, Related Midwest pitched revised plans for a 48-story, 550-foot-tall tower at 725 W. Randolph St. and a 15-story, 250-foot-tall office building at 724 W. Washington Blvd. The developer wants to build 370 apartments, 240 hotel rooms and a 40,000-square-foot Equinox fitness club in the skyscraper.

If approved, the office building would include a Soul Cycle and Bank of America branch on its first floor.

...Ald. Walter Burnett Jr. (27th) said he will push for the Halsted ‘L’ stop to be reopened to alleviate traffic and congestion in the area as development continues to boom.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:34 PM

I think Burnett is my favorite alderman by about a mile.

Even though Related will VE the life out of the design the elimination of the podium is absolutely fantastic.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 3:47 PM

Not exactly sure why some folks are thinking there isn't a podium. The base doesn't look to have gotten smaller in latest renderings. Just because parking has an underground component doesn't meant there is no podium.

If anything, the podium has gotten bigger now that it wraps around to include the office tower.

The podium design looks good (but so do a fair amount of other podiums the get reactionary complaints)

Last edited by jc5680; Jan 10, 2020 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:12 PM

I like how the office tower frames the ammenity deck, that is going to have a nice view of the park they build once the Kennedy is capped

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Not exactly sure why some folks are thinking there isn't a podium. The base doesn't look to have gotten smaller in latest renderings. Just because parking has an underground component doesn't meant there is no podium.

If anything, the podium has gotten bigger now that it wraps around to include the office tower.

The podium design looks good (but so do a fair amount of other podiums the get reactionary complaints)
I guess you'd more specifically call it an above grade parking annex that was to face the Kennedy between Court and Washington.

To compare this podium, which seems to be entirely leasable square footage with active use, to the plethora of painted concrete/screened/opaque glass parking turds many towers are perched upon doesn't seem appropriate.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:58 PM
Ω

Looks fantastic. Modernist

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:28 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
To compare this podium, which seems to be entirely leasable square footage with active use, to the plethora of painted concrete/screened/opaque glass parking turds many towers are perched upon doesn't seem appropriate.
Looks like for the north building, Floor 1 is lobby/retail space/Soulcycle branch, Floors 2/3 are Equinox, and Floor 4 is amenity space for the hotel and apartments. For the south building, I'm guessing Floo1 1 is lobby/retail space/BofA branch, and floors 2-4 are active office space.

I don't think there is any above-grade parking. The PD filing calls for a minimum of only 50 spaces, which can easily be accommodated below grade if the basement covers all or most of the site and the vacated Court Place right-of-way.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 5:56 PM

Quote:
I guess you'd more specifically call it an above grade parking annex that was to face the Kennedy between Court and Washington.

It's still a block long monolith with towers perched above it. Nice as it is, it doesn't stop it from being a podium.

Podium gets used here as some sort of objective pejorative but often in ways that seem to not actually consider the design. I guess in this case I don't see what changes if the parking is below grade or if it was tucked into the modest podium. The pedestrian experience wouldn't change. The design doesn't appeared to have notably changed. It's not like it was used to reduce the above grade footprint to add a plaza or park. What's different beyond just the knowledge that parking is below grade?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
It's still a block long monolith with towers perched above it. Nice as it is, it doesn't stop it from being a podium.

Podium gets used here as some sort of objective pejorative but often in ways that seem to not actually consider the design. I guess in this case I don't see what changes if the parking is below grade or if it was tucked into the modest podium. The pedestrian experience wouldn't change. The design doesn't appeared to have notably changed. It's not like it was used to reduce the above grade footprint to add a plaza or park. What's different beyond just the knowledge that parking is below grade?
If you truly don't see any difference between functional occupied space and a parking structure I'm not really sure what would convince you otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
If you truly don't see any difference between functional occupied space and a parking structure I'm not really sure what would convince you otherwise.
I am open to hearing some sort of case to be made, but you've just dismissively offered SSP platitudes.

What materially was improved here by having the parking underground? More office space? Does that make the external design better, did it even change? Hell, does having some of the office space in the podium mean the office tower is actually shorter than it could have been?

What exactly is the benefit of 'active uses' in a podium above ground level if the pedestrian experience and architectural design is still good?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals