HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 1:12 PM

MonctonRad, I can't thank you enough for all of your contributions to the various Moncton threads. Moncton has as many posts as the Halifax skyscraper forum and it is in large part because of the momentum you bring to the conversations. Thank you.

Speaking of momentum, I wish we could like posts here on the skyscraperpage forum similar to urbantoronto.ca for example. Having likes encourages people to post I believe.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

In the end, this is only a hobby for me.

- I do have an interest in architecture, urban planning issues and human geography.
- I also have a passing interest in journalism (I was the editor of my medical school newspaper about 40 years ago). This also means I am a sucker for punishment. My co-editor and myself were responsible for all facets of putting the rag out (interviewing, advertising, layout, publishing), and this was on top of the study load of second year medical school (typically the toughest of the four years).
- I also have an interest in computers, and can modify code enough to make sure my posts are visually satisfying.

So, all of this makes posting on a bulletin board like SSP an interesting diversion and distraction from the day to day stress of my practice. I enjoy it. I also think it fulfills a need.

Sometimes I wonder if I don't dominate the board too much, and this keeps other people from making their own contributions. Certainly this is not my intent. I absolutely do not know everything going on in the city, and Philbilly's recent observation of the tower crane components lying on the ground next to the Four Points is a testament to this. Everyone should feel free to contribute to the forum in any (constructive) way. Reasonable debate is encouraged!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonDowntown View Post
Speaking of momentum, I wish we could like posts here on the skyscraperpage forum similar to urbantoronto.ca for example. Having likes encourages people to post I believe.
IMO, the SSP boards really need to be upgraded. While they are functional, when I see what more modern message board software can do (like XenForo boards), their age really shows.

Plus I admit it's a bit scary to think what weaknesses/exploits may be lurking due to their age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Sometimes I wonder if I don't dominate the board too much, and this keeps other people from making their own contributions. Certainly this is not my intent. I absolutely do not know everything going on in the city, and Philbilly's recent observation of the tower crane components lying on the ground next to the Four Points is a testament to this. Everyone should feel free to contribute to the forum in any (constructive) way. Reasonable debate is encouraged!
In my opinion, you don't dominate the discussion too much. These boards move at a followable pace, with lots of space for people to jump in and chime in. And your posts (and the posts of all our active posters) certainly help keep things active while not being too dominating (unless we get into a heated discussion which doesn't happen that often. )

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:21 PM

I also would like thank MonctonRad for your contributions. You always look at things objectively and try not to let any personal biases show when presenting the facts. While you do start your opinions on matter, you do an excellent job at separating the presented facts from your opinions. Your time spent on the medical journal appears to have served you well. As for you dominating the forum, while I do thing you make the most posts in the Moncton area threads, they are welcome and often present talking points for other people. You do a good job at driving the conversation.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 4:35 PM

Quote:
This quote is from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB summary of the city council meeting:

So, city council has voted to preserve this building. This is good news, since it (at least temporarily) will prevent this house from meeting the wreckers ball. Of course Ashford could choose to neglect this property until it becomes an eyesore or becomes unsafe, in which case it could eventually be demolished anyway. Personally, I don't think this will happen. Ashford is a reputable developer, and I imagine the company will either fix up the building so that it can be repurposed, or sell it to another developer.

It is a fine old residential home, which provides variety and visual appeal to the streetscape. Not every house in the downtown west end needs to be demolished (frankly most do, but not this one). I trust it will find a future as a B&B, restaurant or small commercial office.
We've already torn down enough of our history in this city (unlike Fredericton and Saint John) I'm glad to see that council had the stones to stand up for this one. This could be a lovely B&B with a ground floor cafe next to the residential block just off SG.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 7:38 PM

Quote:
The future of 84 Highfield Street will be discussed at Moncton City Council this evening.

T&T photo

As we are all aware, Ashford want this building demolished to improve access to the underground parking garage at their development on Highfield & Gordon.
I wonder if this house could be moved? I imagine Ashford would give it away on condition it be relocated. But is it too far gone structurally to be removed. It would make a very nice B&B if it were restored. Could this be a win-win solution?

An entrance off Highfield to their new building would really improve access for the Ashford tenants.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I wonder if this house could be moved? I imagine Ashford would give it away on condition it be relocated. But is it too far gone structurally to be removed. It would make a very nice B&B if it were restored. Could this be a win-win solution?

An entrance off Highfield to their new building would really improve access for the Ashford tenants.
I suggested in a previous post they could just move it to the lot next door free of charge to whoever own that property. Cover the expenses. Moving to another location somewhere in Moncton would be a nightmare with powerlines.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 2:15 AM

Speaking of Highfield st and this project (does it have a name?), a view looking north up Highfield. Two more stories to go.

And as mush as I tried to level this photo, that project always seems to be leaning to the right, not plumb. Leaning Tower of Highfield St. Hopefully it's just a photo thing.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 3:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice aerial from the Amico Construction website, showing progress on the Ashford Living project at Gordon & Highfield

Four floors down, two to go.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 3:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Concept for Parc Rene-Arthur Frechette Park in front of Castle Manor on Mountain Road (from Mayor Dawn Arnold's FB page).

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 8:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Ashford Living building at Gordon & Highfield is now up to it's fifth floor. One more to go.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 7:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The Ashford Living building at Gordon & Highfield is now up to it's fifth floor. One more to go.
Photo from today. The streetscape of Highfield continues to evolve and mature.......

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 29, 2020 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The last house on the land where this new apartment complex on Weldon Street is to be built is being demolished today.

Next step - shovels in the ground! I wonder if they will start immediately or wait until next spring? Given how late it is in the season, I suspect they will wait.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They've topped off the Ashford Living development on the NW corner of Highfield/Gordon. It is now a full six stories.

The building actually seems a little imposing as seen from street level.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:08 PM

powerlines

Residents will soon be able to jump of their balconies and swing on the powerlines.

Quote:
They've topped off the Ashford Living development on the NW corner of Highfield/Gordon. It is now a full six stories.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Good. These new builds need to be built to property lines and sidewalks to create that tight, tall feeling that urban centres need and do well. Building suburban style developments in an urban core doesn't make your core more urban.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 5:28 PM

What's out of place in this photo? I'm willing to bet that the whole front porch, roof, pillars, everything in this corner of the house is rotten to the core. Also willing to bet that the chimney needs serious repairs, windows appears original with the aluminum storm screens, and that's just the visible outdoor observations.

Like I said in a previous post, this house needs to go. I see nothing worthy here of saving, unless they actually move it 50' to the right on a new foundation and let the PBS crew of This Old House come in from Boston and film season 42.

Kinda cool when you pull up the the corner and can't see the top when crouching over the dashboard of your vehicle.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 5:51 PM

What a huge improvement the Ashford building is going to be on this corner. Those old run down houses that were demolished were a real eyesore. Not a good look for downtown Moncton.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 6:58 PM

Those phone lines are an eyesore..

I have owned an old victorian(renovated) and will never buy one again.. the amount of energy required to heat and mantain those old houses is astounding. my energy bill at that house was more then my current mortgage.

Although history is important there has to be some balance here.. how many of these do we really need to save. I can tell you first hand..maintaining these houses .. is NOT very eco friendly.. its the same as churchs.. its an emotional attachment not a rational one. Its the equivlant of driving 65 v8 mustang around when you could be driving a prius.

Theres not many houses between st george and main .. that are in good condition, be nice to see it cleaned up even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
What a huge improvement the Ashford building is going to be on this corner. Those old run down houses that were demolished were a real eyesore. Not a good look for downtown Moncton.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
Those phone lines are an eyesore..

I have owned an old victorian(renovated) and will never buy one again.. the amount of energy required to heat and mantain those old houses is astounding. my energy bill at that house was more then my current mortgage.

Although history is important there has to be some balance here.. how many of these do we really need to save. I can tell you first hand..maintaining these houses .. is NOT very eco friendly.. its the same as churchs.. its an emotional attachment not a rational one. Its the equivlant of driving 65 v8 mustang around when you could be driving a prius.

Theres not many houses between st george and main .. that are in good condition, be nice to see it cleaned up even more.
Building new is always less green. The old V8 Mustang is already built. The Prius needs African orphan pit mine slave labour for the battery, and that's not even getting into the new car manufacturing process. Same goes for homes. I'm in a wooden Victorian right now and my heat is not crazy. Buy slippers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces