HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

AFAIK, the town has not refused the Cougar armoured personnel carrier, rather they have delayed installation until a town meeting is called to discuss the issue in detail.

I personally find this highly regrettable. It is a leap of logic to think that an armoured vehicle on a pedestal is a glorification of war. It is merely a commemoration of the effort and sacrifice of those veterans who went to war and served their country at great imminent peril.

Sackville, by it's very nature has a high concentration of SJW types in the towns population, due to the fact that MTA is located there. Mount Allison is the personification of a small liberal arts university, with no professional faculties and only modest science programs. The university therefore is overrun with students in sociology, political science and women's studies. This is a fertile breeding ground for (often misplaced) protest movements to develop and get nurtured.

Outside the university, I get the impression the rest of the town is pretty conservative. This should make for a very interesting town hall meeting..........
The SJW type definitely exists at MtA, but unless things have really changed in the last 5 years, it's probably not as bad as you think.

You can't be top on MacLean's that many times and have that many Rhodes Scholars without attracting a lot of students from the wealthiest families in Canada and the world. Same goes for students who are the highest achievers academically. These aren't usually SJW types. The status quo is working for a lot of them. If they're studying liberal arts, it's because they have the leisure or because they're doing an advanced degree after anyways. I was in Philosophy and the student body definitely wasn't what you would have expected. Generally, my experience was that MtA students took a limited interest to the affairs of the town in many cases.

If the town hasn't closed the door completely on the monument and if they move fast enough, it'll probably go up. All it takes is a meeting where the general public gets to come voice support or a few local Veterans and the Legion to come out in favor. From a political standpoint "Think of the Veterans..." is one of the few things that beats out "Think of the children...".

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTBourque View Post
The SJW type definitely exists at MtA, but unless things have really changed in the last 5 years, it's probably not as bad as you think.

You can't be top on MacLean's that many times and have that many Rhodes Scholars without attracting a lot of students from the wealthiest families in Canada and the world. Same goes for students who are the highest achievers academically. These aren't usually SJW types. The status quo is working for a lot of them. If they're studying liberal arts, it's because they have the leisure or because they're doing an advanced degree after anyways. I was in Philosophy and the student body definitely wasn't what you would have expected. Generally, my experience was that MtA students took a limited interest to the affairs of the town in many cases.
No offence to MTA - It certainly is a fine institution with a great track record and a sterling reputation in academic circles. One of my three sons went there for his science degree

MTA though is sort of frozen in time regarding its mandate. I appreciate that it is a top notch liberals arts undergraduate institution, but I think it is in some ways missing the boat by not aspiring to be more than this.

I went to UPEI for my undergraduate science degree. At the time, UPEI and MTA were pretty much equivalent in size and in program offerings. Since then though, UPEI has developed a School of Veterinary Medicine (with all the associated graduate programs in life and veterinary sciences that go with that), a School of Nursing and a School of Environmental Engineering. UPEI has made the jump into the category of mid sized comprehensive universities.

Meanwhile MTA remains virtually unchanged. In fact, they have let their Education and Pre-Engineering programs go. It is almost exclusively an undergraduate university (save for a couple of masters programs in biology and chemistry). The only new program of note is a BSc in Aviation in conjunction with the Moncton Flight College.

I think MTA is missing the boat. I think they could maintain excellence as a small liberal arts university while at the same time building select graduate and professional degree programs to service the anglophone community in southeastern NB.

MTA could maintain the current campus as is in order to continue to provide that intimate Ivy League type undergraduate experience that it is so well known for. Perhaps at the same time however, MTA could develop a second urban campus in downtown Moncton, providing Moncton students with access to courses in the basic arts and sciences, while at the same time working towards graduate level programs in certain disciplines and perhaps a professional school or two. For example an MBA program based in Moncton would be very well received I think. The UNB Nursing Program and the UNB Health Sciences program in X-Ray Technology could be transferred to MTA as well. Both of these programs are based at the Moncton Hospital. Finally, the BSc in Aviation could be located entirely in Moncton. I'm sure other opportunities could exist as well. A Moncton MTA campus would likely end up having an enrolment similar to or perhaps even higher than the Sackville campus has.

I think there are opportunities for growth and change for MTA, if they were willing to look further afield and set up a campus in Moncton.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:15 AM

Quote:
No offence to MTA - It certainly is a fine institution with a great track record and a sterling reputation in academic circles. One of my three sons went there for his science degree

MTA though is sort of frozen in time regarding its mandate. I appreciate that it is a top notch liberals arts undergraduate institution, but I think it is in some ways missing the boat by not aspiring to be more than this.

I went to UPEI for my undergraduate science degree. At the time, UPEI and MTA were pretty much equivalent in size and in program offerings. Since then though, UPEI has developed a School of Veterinary Medicine (with all the associated graduate programs in life and veterinary sciences that go with that), a School of Nursing and a School of Environmental Engineering. UPEI has made the jump into the category of mid sized comprehensive universities.

Meanwhile MTA remains virtually unchanged. In fact, they have let their Education and Pre-Engineering programs go. It is almost exclusively an undergraduate university (save for a couple of masters programs in biology and chemistry). The only new program of note is a BSc in Aviation in conjunction with the Moncton Flight College.

I think MTA is missing the boat. I think they could maintain excellence as a small liberal arts university while at the same time building select graduate and professional degree programs to service the anglophone community in southeastern NB.

MTA could maintain the current campus as is in order to continue to provide that intimate Ivy League type undergraduate experience that it is so well known for. Perhaps at the same time however, MTA could develop a second urban campus in downtown Moncton, providing Moncton students with access to courses in the basic arts and sciences, while at the same time working towards graduate level programs in certain disciplines and perhaps a professional school or two. For example an MBA program based in Moncton would be very well received I think. The UNB Nursing Program and the UNB Health Sciences program in X-Ray Technology could be transferred to MTA as well. Both of these programs are based at the Moncton Hospital. Finally, the BSc in Aviation could be located entirely in Moncton. I'm sure other opportunities could exist as well. A Moncton MTA campus would likely end up having an enrolment similar to or perhaps even higher than the Sackville campus has.

I think there are opportunities for growth and change for MTA, if they were willing to look further afield and set up a campus in Moncton.
I agree, it would be a win-win. It would be great for MTA and the City of Moncton.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 1:39 AM

I'm all for city-university linkages for economic development. I've put a lot of thought into how MtA could do this.

Adding graduate and professional programs would change MtA's category in the MacLean's rankings and that alone would be ruinous.

MtA has been going in the opposite direction for quite some time. The university's identity is liberal arts, small classes, and Sackville. Since it's been quite successful at that (including doing well financially), it's not likely to go looking elsewhere.

The current graduate programs in science are very small - they're essentially for the occasional student that did an honours thesis at MtA and wants to continue their work with the same prof.

I think UNB is more likely to grow a presence in Moncton (and it already has one) than MtA.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:16 AM

Quote:

AFAIK, the town has not refused the Cougar armoured personnel carrier, rather they have delayed installation until a town meeting is called to discuss the issue in detail.

I personally find this highly regrettable. It is a leap of logic to think that an armoured vehicle on a pedestal is a glorification of war. It is merely a commemoration of the effort and sacrifice of those veterans who went to war and served their country at great imminent peril.

Sackville, by it's very nature has a high concentration of SJW types in the towns population, due to the fact that MTA is located there. Mount Allison is the personification of a small liberal arts university, with no professional faculties and only modest science programs. The university therefore is overrun with students in sociology, political science and women's studies. This is a fertile breeding ground for (often misplaced) protest movements to develop and get nurtured.

Outside the university, I get the impression the rest of the town is pretty conservative. This should make for a very interesting town hall meeting..........
I take great offense to the statement that MTA only has "modest science programs," my BSc degree and classes attended in Molecular Biology, advanced calculus, Biochem, Organic Chemistry, BioPhysics to name a few would say otherwise and the path it set me on, and many other professionals I know. Maybe times have changed at MTA, but from the results in MacLeans magazine, it would suggest the University has only maintained its high standards. Go Mounties!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
I take great offense to the statement that MTA only has "modest science programs," my BSc degree and classes attended in Molecular Biology, advanced calculus, Biochem, Organic Chemistry, BioPhysics to name a few would say otherwise and the path it set me on, and many other professionals I know. Maybe times have changed at MTA, but from the results in MacLeans magazine, it would suggest the University has only maintained its high standards. Go Mounties!
I'd say the science classes/programs are as good or better than schools with larger graduate faculties, because the focus at MtA is on the quality of the undergraduate education specifically.

It's common to have larger classes, more teaching assistants, and professors focusing more on graduate students and research at larger schools. MtA meanwhile advertises a 17:1 student to faculty ratio.

The MtA model is just based on the idea that you go to a different school for graduate/professional studies after graduation.

For what it's worth, I've had friends who spoke to graduate admission recruiters that told them they'd admit an Allisonian with somewhat lower marks over students with somewhat higher marks from many other Atlantic Canadian schools. (But that could just mean the classes are difficult.)

Also for what it's worth, I didn't graduate from MtA, I transfered out. I'm just sharing my experience, not pumping my own tires. haha

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 3:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
Again, no offence to MTA.

I also went to a smaller primarily undergraduate university (UPEI) for my first degree, which, at the time, was similar to MTA in size. Smaller universities tend to be focussed on the teaching experience rather than research, and tend to have small class sizes, and direct teaching from, and contact with the professors. This can lead to a much better learning experience for the student.

A "modest science faculty" in no way means an inferior educational experience. It does mean fewer members of faculty, less research, and fewer course offerings, at least for third and fourth year students (and also an absence of graduate programs).

So, MTA provides a superior educational experience for undergraduate students. Nobody disputes this, least of all me, but it is also true that there is a missed opportunity in southeastern NB for anglophone students to move to the next level and have opportunities to expand their horizons at the graduate level. If MTA thinks this goes beyond their mandate and mission, then that's fine. Maybe another university (UNB) will step in.

Moncton needs an anglophone university. Crandall doesn't cut it (too small, not affiliated to MPHEC, problematic religious affiliation). UNB (Moncton) doesn't cut it (limited to only a couple of health sciences programs). MTA doesn't cut it (too far out of town, and no opportunity for advanced degrees). Somebody has to step in and fill the void........

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 3:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Hussars regiment withdraws armoured vehicle donation to Sackville
Some residents opposed installation of Cougar AVGP in New Brunswick town park
CBC News · Posted: Jun 29, 2019 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...park-1.5195069

Very unfortunate IMHO.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Hussars regiment withdraws armoured vehicle donation to Sackville
Some residents opposed installation of Cougar AVGP in New Brunswick town park
CBC News · Posted: Jun 29, 2019 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...park-1.5195069

Very unfortunate IMHO.
Nimby's strike again...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 3:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Windsor Hall renovations on the MTA campus should be complete on time for the beginning of classes in September

https://www.facebook.com/mountalliso...2549704232501/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 5:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Mount Allison University tops undergraduate university in Canada for the 21st time (McLean's ranking).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 7:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting article in the Sackville Tribune Post about The Cube (the local nickname for the massive 15 storey freezer facility in the town's industrial park that can be seen for kilometres around).

https://www.sackvilletribunepost.com...ce=parsely-api

The info regarding the coolant system and fire suppression system is particularly interesting. I didn't know that this building was also a processing plant, in addition to a freezer facility. Currently 25 individuals are employed there.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Bagtown Brewing Company is planning on moving into a larger space across Main Street, to allow for inclusion of a taproom.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 3:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see in the T&T today that a proposed seniors development in the town, to be constructed by Lafford Realty is now on hold pending the resolution of the proposed closure of the Sackville Memorial Hospital ER.

This is a significant project, proposed to cost $25-30M.

If the hospital is downgraded to a chronic care facility, presumably this project will be cancelled due to concerns over lack of emergency care for the complexes residents.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 2:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see that the Pizza Delight in Sackville (on Mallard Drive) is now permanently closed.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 3:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A sad story to resurrect a (nearly) dead thread.

A sad farewell: George's Fabulous Roadhouse was home to budding musicians, cheap beer
People still talk about the music they got to hear at the Sackville watering hole that was torn down this week
Tori Weldon · CBC News · Posted: Nov 19, 2020 5:00 AM AT | Last Updated: November 19
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ille-1.5806205

All that's left of George's Fabulous Roadhouse at the end of Lorne street in Sackville. Across the street is a train station that is no longer open to the public, and beside it are the remnants of Enterprise Fawcett Foundry, which was destroyed by a fire. (Tori Weldon/CBC)

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:06 AM

Yeah not much going on in Sackville these days. If it’s not Mount A related, it almost isn’t news worthy. Not entirely true, but they do drive a lot of the development in a small town.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 12:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Proposed Sackville abattoir attracts controversy
Some don't want a slaughterhouse in town, while developer says local butcher means local food
Tori Weldon · CBC News · Posted: Dec 16, 2020 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: December 16
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ersy-1.5842376

Quote:
A Sackville man is hoping to open an abattoir in Sackville's industrial park, but asking for the necessary rezoning has stirred controversy among some residents who say it's a good idea in a bad location.

The town's council passed the first reading of the zoning amendments requested by Chris Pierce, at Monday's meeting despite dozens of letters of objections being filed.
While there are legitimate questions about how the abattoir would operate, there are a number of residents of Sackville who have an idealized view of what a small university town should look like, and this does not include having an industrial park within town limits...……...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Proposed Sackville abattoir attracts controversy
Some don't want a slaughterhouse in town, while developer says local butcher means local food
Tori Weldon · CBC News · Posted: Dec 16, 2020 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: December 16
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ersy-1.5842376

While there are legitimate questions about how the abattoir would operate, there are a number of residents of Sackville who have an idealized view of what a small university town should look like, and this does not include having an industrial park within town limits...……...
While Sackville seems like an odd place to have an abattoir, this will be huge for the area. I’ve been a meat cutter for over 10 years and managed a meat room for a few of them so believe me when I say local abattoirs are huge for the local economy. People want to buy local. There currently is extremely limited options for buying local in Atlantic Canada. There is good options for poultry but since Hub Meat Packers closed, most farmers have to sell their beef to Atlantic Beef in PEI and if they have hogs, they pretty much have no options other than processing it themselves.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 12:16 AM

And as you likely know, there's a ccouple of major (major for NB anyway) beef lots in the area. Heck, the whole marsh is used as pasture land. This seems like a no brainer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces