HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
I am pretty sure they were being facetious with that number. The goal that SF should have for the time being is really just to follow the US national population target. Pew Research says the US pop. was 282 million in 2000, and should be 438 million in 2050. This is a 55% increase over half a century.

San Francisco had 777,340 population in 2000. A ~55% increase thus creates our 2050 minimum goal, 1,207,358, an increase of 430,000. With a pop. of 866,320 in 2015 SF is growing, but will not hit that goal at current growth. In 2015 we were 30% of the way to 2050, but we only achieved 21% of the overall 2050 pop. goal (~90,000 pop. growth 2000-2015). SF still has to find room for 340,000 people over the next 30-35 years.

All this is to simply maintain the relative proportion of SF pop. to US pop. Of course there is nothing limiting SF to these numbers, and it does not take into effect immigration's impact on SF in particular vs the nation-at-large, legal or not.
It would be over a million by now if it had a much bigger land area. Say they combined South San Francisco with Brisbane and Daly City with the current city, it would be over a million. I’m just saying I wish that would have happened,

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 1:44 AM

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 10:23 PM

Candlestick Point Outlet Mall Canceled, More Offices Planned

Mall plan dead at SF’s Candlestick Point, former home of Giants and 49ers

Quote:
Plans to build a large mall at the former home of the San Francisco Giants and 49ers are dead.

Developer FivePoint Holdings scrapped a 635,000-square-foot mall at Candlestick Point that would have been one of the largest in San Francisco, according to a Securities and Exchange filing in February.

FivePoint plans instead to build 750,000 square feet of office and research space at the site, which require new city approvals.

An additional 7,200 housing units, a 200-room hotel and 300,000 square feet of commercial space are approved for the 280-acre site.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

^So whats the takeaway for local forumers. Is this good or bad? It certainly takes some of the potential liveliness that the retail would have brought away.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:23 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^So whats the takeaway for local forumers. Is this good or bad? It certainly takes some of the potential liveliness that the retail would have brought away.
I think it's good since retail is shrinking and failing almost everywhere while office and research space are still in demand. The vision of a lively mall may well have actually looked like 6x6 on Market Street that is a beautiful failure.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
This is a good thing. With retail failing across the Country, I could imagine lots of empty stores at this development. As long as they have a few restaurants and a couple of convenience stores, ie Amazon Go, it will go better.

Unfortunately, public transit still is very deficient in this area and I don’t no how many people will want to commute in their cars/Uber to this site.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:13 PM

I was happy to see both 1990 Folsom and 2060 Folsom are finishing demo and starting excavation, respectively, as I rode by yesterday.

1990 Folsom replacing some defunct warehouses and hopefully adding some life to 16th. I believe this is also where Galería de la Raza is moving once complete.

2060 Folsom (aka Casa Adelante) is adjacent to the newish park at 17th and Folsom.

Both BMR projects.

p.s. Apologies for the image sizes. I'm using the image size syntax but it's not downsizing for some reason (e.g. [img=100x50]).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 5:06 PM

If this was to be an outlet mall I have somewhat mixed feelings. The location would have been problematic for me--too out of the way. But that's where they put outlet malls--in exurban areas or out-of-the-way spots where land is relatively cheap because they have low margins and can't afford downtown locations.

IMHO San Francisco needs more off-price shopping. Not everybody has access to online shopping and some people prefer not to buy clothing online--and some can't afford Hayes Valley or Marina boutiques (or just don't like paying those prices). In most parts of the country, outlet malls do better than other malls because of the "bargain hunting" factor. In San Francisco they used to put off-price retailing in SOMA but now even SOMA is getting too expensive so this might have been a decent location for it even if it would have been too out of the way for me to venture there.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 7:37 AM
heavy user of walkability

couple shots of evolving Folsom St

and speaking of Folsom, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the little area in front of the northern terminus of PG&E's power transmission line (across from Avery), which was to be a public plaza but had sat stalled for the last maybe two years, had progressed again. the stone looks to me like it has a different treatment to it than when it was first being installed, smoother and with a slight olive tinge, tho that may have just been the lighting. (now I'll have to check the southern end in Dogpatch, which was also supposed to have something, but didn't, last time I looked.)

more Second St, bike lane waiting for green paint...

and the alleyway leading off Second toward the Transit Center

looking back the other way toward SFMOMA

Moscone in a quieter mood

Last edited by timbad; Mar 14, 2019 at 7:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:14 AM
Surrounded by Nature

San Francisco State University's P3 student housing project, now 584 total beds, will be operated by University Housing. This was formerly Block 6 of Parcmerced, one of the six Parcmerced blocks that were purchased by SF State around 15 years ago. http://pudco.com/portfolio-items/hol...san-francisco/

[IMG]San Francisco State University by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:18 PM

That's a nice looking rendering. I haven't been on SFSU's campus in awhile!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 2:33 AM
Surrounded by Nature

The newer large wall mounted rendering I’ve seen is even nicer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 10:58 AM
heavy user of walkability

J.K. Dineen not so enthusiastic about Van Ness

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 5:11 PM

^^I wasn't around to see it but reportedly the City ruined Mid-Market St. with the construction of the subway under it. What had been a thriving business and entertainment district went away due to lack of business during the long period of construction. Now the same thing is happening on Van Ness. There is no parking and walking up/down the street is not pleasant due to the construction that seems to drag on and on and on. It's actually worse than Mr. King described: Some other businesses have closed. I'm away for the winter but I believe Mel's has gone or is going. Tesla was going to close its physical locations but now is keeping some so I don't know the fate of the one on Van Ness.

The City needs to assign a project manager with talent to the BRT construction and get on the contractor to speed up. Otherwise it will have created a massive chunk of blight in the heart of the City.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 6:31 PM

I was in SF for the winter and took an Uber down Van Mess, I couldn't believe the complete destruction of what I saw. And the driver said it had been like that for years. It was completely hideous and has screwed up the traffic as well as the sidewalks. Maybe I'm reminiscing and it's clouding my judgment but when I lived in SF in the early 2000s I don't remember so much of the streets and sidewalks being torn up and surrounded by orange barricades.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
I was in SF for the winter and took an Uber down Van Mess, I couldn't believe the complete destruction of what I saw. And the driver said it had been like that for years. It was completely hideous and has screwed up the traffic as well as the sidewalks. Maybe I'm reminiscing and it's clouding my judgment but when I lived in SF in the early 2000s I don't remember so much of the streets and sidewalks being torn up and surrounded by orange barricades.
Aside from the BRT projects on Van Ness and, soon, Geary, and the Central Subway which is finally wrapping up after years of making a mess of the Union Square area, in 2011 San Francisco passed a $248 million street repair/repaving bond measure. All this is work that needed doing and will ultimately benefit the city, but it has been h*ll while they've been doing the work.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 12:21 AM

I guess the Salesforce Tower thread has been locked and archived so I'll post these photos of the Ohana Room, the tour of which is reportedly soon to be expanded, here:

All photos: https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...tml#g/442265/1

If you could pay attention to business while seated at that conference table, you probably don't belong on this site.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Some other businesses have closed. I'm away for the winter but I believe Mel's has gone or is going. Tesla was going to close its physical locations but now is keeping some so I don't know the fate of the one on Van Ness.
Mel’s Diner was remodeled and reopened as Mel’s Kitchen. More upscale with a full bar. Though a few other businesses have closed.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_climber13 View Post
The Van Ness BRT project started about two years ago. Before doing work on the actual BRT the city decided to replace the hundred year old sewer system that runs under the street. It’s a pretty major infrastructure project, which unfortunately has seen some pretty significant delays. They were supposed to finish this year but are only about half way through.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Pinterest inks huge lease in SoMa at proposed 1 million-square-foot office campus
By Fiona Kelliher – Real estate reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Mar 20, 2019, 10:12am PDT Updated a day ago

Social media website Pinterest Inc. has signed a 490,000-square-foot lease in a proposed office complex in Central SoMa as the company's potential IPO edges closer.

The deal is the biggest commercial lease so far this year, and the biggest in San Francisco since Facebook signed a 755,900-square-foot lease in May for the entirety of Park Tower. It's the second time in recent months that a major tech company has signed a lease for a building that is not yet approved. Salesforce in November pre-leased 325,000 square feet at 550 Howard St., which is slated to be the last major skyscraper to rise in the Transbay district. The leases show that tech companies are so hungry for space that they are willing to do deals well ahead of construction starting on a project.

Developers Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE: ARE) and TMG Partners are developing 88 Bluxome St., which will include about 1 million square feet of office space when it's completed.

With this lease signed, Pinterest will serve as the campus' anchor tenant . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...eXJQU29NIn0%3D

I have given the project a thread at: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...11#post8514111

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations