HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

307 Prince Albert in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I have been posting on the site this am. I'm not being mean. I'm being realistic. Some of these folks sound like they'd fight a one storey building.
I see no posts on there dated today. You must have had had yours either deleted or not approved in the first place.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:36 PM

the administrator is a bully. he will delete all posts that shows any support for the project or questions his information.

this is what it has come to. this is exactly why more people should come out for support on this project.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 7:49 PM

The whole thing seems ridiculous to me.

Chuckling at the suggestion of wind tunnels - don't you need several buildings in place to create a "wind tunnel"?

Not that I find their rendering beautiful, but really there should be no problem in adding a few more such buildings - and related density - to that area.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 8:47 PM

Unfortunately most people do not visit here to see the actual renderings and are taking his blob image, which is ridiculously out of scale, and his contentions, at face value. I ran into one such person today who went on at length about how the "high rise" would destroy the paddling course, and render the lake useless for thousands of youth in the future. There was no reasoning with her about it, she simply took everything there as fact.

This is the latest instance where the not-yet-approved Centre Plan is being used as an excuse to torpedo a proposal. This is nuts.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 3:25 AM

But what about the paddlers?! They will no longer be able to use the lake if there is a tallish building in the general area...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 12:52 PM

Deferred again, with the developer told to saw off another few floors:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...outh-1.4438911

This is the heart of the matter:

Quote:
Developer Tony Maskine said he's made numerous changes to the design during seven years of applications and back and forth with municipal staff.

"We worked with staff. We entertained discussions with the community. We did all the things we were asked. We made numerous changes. So I'm just not sure how much more you can do to get to a conclusion. If the process requires this level of effort, then the process needs to be seriously examined."

He said "the process has some clearly broken issues. It's a difficult road."

Not only is that part of the process broken, but the public hearing process is a disaster. Last night was a mob scene. HRM should build a low-rise sewage treatment plant on the corner to give them what they want.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:15 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I see no posts on there dated today. You must have had had yours either deleted or not approved in the first place.
You are correct. It would also appear that I have been blocked. Ridiculous!! Do they really think a 9 storey would make that much more of a difference as far as wind as a 6 storey. They are celebrating the 6 storey cap as a win. It was never about the wind...as always height.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
You are correct. It would also appear that I have been blocked. Ridiculous!! Do they really think a 9 storey would make that much more of a difference as far as wind as a 6 storey. They are celebrating the 6 storey cap as a win. It was never about the wind...as always height.
The wind is not an issue, except in the minds of the desperate.
And the prevailing winds interacting with the taller buiding would have no impact.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 12:39 AM

The Council member for the area weighs in:

http://www.samaustin.ca/prince-alber...d-development/

I think his reasoning is wrong but at least we have a full explanation of his thinking.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:

I think his reasoning is wrong but at least we have a full explanation of his thinking.
Typical Halifax NIMBYism. And I feel like this council will stall the development of Halifax for another decade by constantly enabling those loud and grumpy minority. I am seriously thinking of getting out of this province and invest somewhere else.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:

It seems, to get elected in HRM theses days you have to forsake all reason and oppose any building over 4 stories while espousing hypocritical positions to the contrary on the internet.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yal View Post
Typical Halifax NIMBYism. And I feel like this council will stall the development of Halifax for another decade by constantly enabling those loud and grumpy minority. I am seriously thinking of getting out of this province and invest somewhere else.
Bye.
Where do you live - in a condo, an apartment, a detached R-1 ?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Bye.
Where do you live - in a condo, an apartment, a detached R-1 ?
This is exactly how you lose young professionals. Oh man, look at that snobbishness.

I own a condo close to downtown by the way.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 9:03 PM

Quote:
This is exactly how you lose young professionals. Oh man, look at that snobbishness.

Sorry you feel that way about Halifax, but surely you don't let what you read on an internet forum help you decide whether you want to live here or not.

Has your experience here been that bad?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:

And where will you live if/when you form a family ?
Development in HRM has not been stalled by any measure of activity. Show the evidence to support your statement.
The Prince Albert Road decision is no reason to suddenly consider moving away to invest elsewhere. In Dartmouth you can pay less for more home and be close to lakes and the ocean. Few people in Halifax can see the Atlantic Ocean, but thousands of people in Dartmouth look out a window and see it every day. If we lose young professionals we'll gain other young people who are not so easily upset about an relatively inconsequential decision on one project.
We have lived in downtown Dartmouth for over 34 years and would not live in downtown Halifax or on the peninsula.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
And where will you live if/when you form a family ?

We have lived in downtown Dartmouth for over 34 years and would not live in downtown Halifax or on the peninsula.
Or (as in my case) could possibly afford to do so.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:38 AM

Not something I can comment on too much since it's likely going to be the subject of a future public hearing, but Harbour East Community Council considered this project tonight (my supplemental report from the December public hearing was back before Council). We voted to (1) rezone the land, (2) rejected the 8 plus penthouse presented to us in December, and (3) asked staff to bring back a revised development agreement for the 7 plus penthouse that the developer is offering so that we can schedule a future public hearing. You can read the details on my site here http://www.samaustin.ca/prince-alber...development-2/

Last edited by spaustin; Apr 6, 2018 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:41 AM

Two new renderings of the 7 plus penthouse proposal that were supplied to HRM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:11 PM

Saved from the devastation that would surely be caused by one extra floor!!!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 3:31 PM

I'm curious as to why the additional floor is an issue, but overall not a bad looking building for the area. The residents will certainly have a nice view of the lake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth