HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:37 PM
recession proof

Many small towns have bakeries that make excellent pastries, donuts etc. Zehrs donuts are better than Tims. You could also make them yourself.

In KW region, there's Ana Mae's - Millbank and rumoured to be moving into the old Crossroads space in Elmira/St Jacobs; the Wallenstein general store sells Long Johns - cream buns; Yatton Home Baking and Floradale's Hillcrest Bakery make excellent desserts; and many other small towns in the region sell varieties of donuts. I imagine London area has similar local institutions.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Tim Whoreton's just went from being merely terrible food to somehow being even more atrocious. The food is absolute garbage, the coffee is brown dishwater, and the donuts...do they even sell donuts anymore? Haven't stepped in a Rimmie's since before Covid.

How hard is it to fuck up a grilled cheese sandwich? Yet Rim's rises to the occasion. They have the world's worst grilled cheese sandwich, without a doubt.

Apparently they don't use cheese, and the sandwich isn't grilled.

But then their Apple fritter doesn't have apples and it isn't fried (made 'fresh' in a Brantford factory and shipped frozen to outlets across the country).

On the other hand, Rim Whoreton's bagels have the uniquely Canadian texture and taste of hockey pucks.
I made that mistake last year. Grotesque.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Many small towns have bakeries that make excellent pastries, donuts etc. Zehrs donuts are better than Tims. You could also make them yourself.

In KW region, there's Ana Mae's - Millbank and rumoured to be moving into the old Crossroads space in Elmira/St Jacobs; the Wallenstein general store sells Long Johns - cream buns; Yatton Home Baking and Floradale's Hillcrest Bakery make excellent desserts; and many other small towns in the region sell varieties of donuts. I imagine London area has similar local institutions.
I think we're particular lucky in Waterloo-Wellington area and I wonder if other regions are as well off. It's not just baked goods, but market gardening seems to happen in this area at a scale that I don't see elsewhere.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:37 PM
recession proof

Driving all over Ontario this year I noticed many market gardens and bakeries from Windsor-Essex to Chatham-Kent, between Glen Morris and Simcoe, north of Orillia, around Lindsay-Peterborough and of course around Owen Sound-Chesley, Stratford-London-Strathroy etc. They're everywhere. If you're lazy then yes Tim's may seem to be the only option but many towns have indie coffee shops with local bakeries around -- I always carefully plan my excursions in Google Maps looking at interesting cafes, gluten free options etc. In fact you normies have thousands of options vs us celiacs. That's why I prefer Bracebridge and Orillia to Parry Sound/Gravenhurst/Huntsville - because their gluten free bakeries are awesome. I noticed in small towns with Foodlands you often have great-looking prepackaged donuts. In Chatham the Dutch Market has tasty baked goods ... obviously they're poison to me. Zehrs Country Market in Millbank has two locations near Bayfield and Grand Bend - I love their farmer's sausage and used to enjoy their pies etc. Then there's the "ethnic" bakeries - Portuguese donuts are fantastic. Also used to love the Filipino ensaymada.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I love the farmer's markets, but they are often only open on Saturdays/Sundays, and/or in the far reaches of town, and/or seasonal. Alas, I won't drive 10kms out of my way for a nice pastry/coffee, except for special occasions.

There are 3,802 Rimmie locations in Canada

Quote:
Doughnuts, which used to be made at night to be ready for the morning rush, are now parbaked – partly cooked and then frozen and delivered to every restaurant in Canada from Brantford, Ontario. Each restaurant bakes and finishes the product throughout the day. As of April 2007, many of the various muffin batters were being revoked, as frozen, pre-made and pre-wrapped muffins were being introduced at Tim Hortons locations.

Tim Hortons' switch to the parbaking system disappointed some customers, who noted that it contradicts the chain's "always fresh" slogan.
wiki

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:53 PM
recession proof

Driving off the beaten track is the best way to enjoy Ontario. The main highways are boring. 10km is nothing. I've driven 30,000km in 6 months. I often take the gravel roads between KW and Stratford/London/Lake Huron because they're more interesting, no traffic and I can go faster. I go out of my way to avoid farmer's markets - not a fan of crowds.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:43 AM
recession proof

While watching the insane drive thru crowd this morning at the Glasgow and Belmont Tims I started thinking about this thread ha. Meanwhile literally across the street is Lady Glaze Donuts: https://ladyglazedoughnuts.com/collections/flavours - likely much better than TH crap. Recently I picked up a gluten free eclair at Winnie's - not bad but obviously I miss the real thing. https://winniesglutenfree.com/produc...31315483033669

What bakeries should I visit in London, Ontario?

Molson Export I'd be visiting this place

https://www.lanoisettebakery.com/menu

I like Wellesley Apple Butter - an apple butter donut would be sweet right about now.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 4:14 AM

Quote:
I love the farmer's markets, but they are often only open on Saturdays/Sundays, and/or in the far reaches of town, and/or seasonal. Alas, I won't drive 10kms out of my way for a nice pastry/coffee, except for special occasions.

wiki
And they're all the same design exactly. Straight from the 90s.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 12:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Does anyone actually enjoy sitting in a Tim's? Buzzers going off constantly (the staff never seem to heed the buzzer: but then nothing is really baking, rather it is merely being reheated from the freezer). Loud kitchen/drive thru noises. Pickup trucks accelerating in the parking lot. filthy washrooms and lobbies.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:

wiki

The great demise of a once mediocre franchise.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:49 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Does anyone actually enjoy sitting in a Tim's?
Old white men. Every time you walk into one, the largest table in the store (which I think is purposely placed for them) is occupied by 4 to 8 60+ white men in trucker hats bitching about literally everything. You can add them to the cacophony of grating noises the permeate the place. McDonald's does and has the same thing, too. There's always one large table off to the side and it's almost exclusively used by old bitchy men. If they're not there, it's covered in the newspapers and snotrags they've left behind.

Robin's was better, because that group wasn't elderly men bitching, it was bikers and hookers telling the best stories a 14 year old could ever hear while getting a ham sandwich—with REAL cheese—at 4am. Black Star knows what Robin's I'm talking about.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:28 AM
recession proof

In downtown Toronto, I've always associated TH's with homeless people. Especially between 10pm and 8am they're dominated by groups of urine-drenched homeless types of all backgrounds. Early mornings - 5-7am - you'll see construction workers; a bit later - 8-10am old men from any cultural background - Chinese, Filipino (my Filipino co-workers especially loved Tim's, perhaps because their countrymen typically are the TFWs working there?), Jamaican, and yes old white men, especially seen in small town Ontario; lunch time you'll see new Canadians with large families having an affordable meal away from home. Smokers love Timmys: they often congregate outside. Cops are always stopping by. Back in the days I went to Tim Hortons, it was always at a location at a subway station - eg Islington - around 6am to get a Jalapeno breakfast bagel (although I eventually learned the mom and pop bakery at Islington Stn had better donuts and coffee.)

Coffee Crime seemed to occupy a niche several steps down - taxi drivers, hookers, drug dealers; worst of all the donut chains was Galaxy Donuts - in the 1990s that meant the mentally ill from CAMH, homeless First Nations, crack whores with locations on Queen West, Ossington and Dundas and Keele.

If you want a fantastic donut, go to Parkdale's Glory Hole.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Sep 23, 2020 at 2:44 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Old white men. Every time you walk into one, the largest table in the store (which I think is purposely placed for them) is occupied by 4 to 8 60+ white men in trucker hats bitching about literally everything. You can add them to the cacophony of grating noises the permeate the place. McDonald's does and has the same thing, too. There's always one large table off to the side and it's almost exclusively used by old bitchy men. If they're not there, it's covered in the newspapers and snotrags they've left behind.

Robin's was better, because that group wasn't elderly men bitching, it was bikers and hookers telling the best stories a 14 year old could ever hear while getting a ham sandwich—with REAL cheese—at 4am. Black Star knows what Robin's I'm talking about.

I do, many mornings before inspecting the Tran Canada pipeline. I really liked that place. Lots of Characters and fresh food. And they actually had good coffee.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:02 AM

I do like to pee in Tim Horton's when I'm on the road.

AND I DON'T BUY SHIT

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

You are right on the money about the old white men's bitchfest at Rimmie's. When they are not bitching, it is because they are filling up on their daily dose of Sun Media/Postmedia birdcage liner. Bitchin' about Trudeau. About young people. About immigrants. About Muslims. About Trudeau. About taxes. About owning the libs. About LGBTQ. About Trudeau. About Quebec. About Trudeau. About Frenchies. About the carbon tax. About Trudeau.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:34 PM
recession proof

^Working class old white men. I don't know any educated old men who read the Sun. I think of these two older white men I worked with (late 50s - early 60s) - one an ex military man the other worked in supply chain management - who would loudly hiss and moan at every Sun editorial without realizing they've been played.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 2:28 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
You are right on the money about the old white men's bitchfest at Rimmie's. When they are not bitching, it is because they are filling up on their daily dose of Sun Media/Postmedia birdcage liner. Bitchin' about Trudeau. About young people. About immigrants. About Muslims. About Trudeau. About taxes. About owning the libs. About LGBTQ. About Trudeau. About Quebec. About Trudeau. About Frenchies. About the carbon tax. About Trudeau.
An interesting comment in a thread which seemingly only exists to complain about Tim's.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 5:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Not really, as it is one of the reasons why I disdain Tim Horton's (which used to have great coffee and donuts, but they started going downhill fast when they took out the counters and put in the drive-thrus, beginning in the mid 90s).

I dislike the stereotypical Don Cherry-ish crabby, under-educated elderly white guys that have a huge sense of self-entitlement and who see themselves as arbiters of who is "Canadian" or what represents "Canadian values". They have a predilection for loitering at Tim's, which negatively impacts the restaurant experience for many others (including, I think, the quality of the food as they are fine with the lowest common denominator). Particularly those other customers who do not necessarily fit their definition of who is "Canadian" or those people that, according to them, do not possess or represent "Canadian values".

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:16 AM
I am a typical

My coworker ordered a large black tea today and got a triple triple instead. She literally couldn't give it away; no one would accept it.

I ordered a banana and chocolate muffin the other day and got a pumpkin spice one (which is fine), but whenever I pull up and just say "can I get literally any random muffin" they have a complete meltdown and force me to pick one. And 30% of the time they still get that wrong.

If I trusted the unlabelled saran wrapped muffins at Circle K I'd just buy those. I'm pretty sure the owner makes them herself but she's never around anymore.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
My coworker ordered a large black tea today and got a triple triple instead. She literally couldn't give it away; no one would accept it.
I've seen a large quadruple quadruple before. Is that cheaper than a 500ml of milk?

Quote:
I ordered a banana and chocolate muffin the other day and got a pumpkin spice one (which is fine), but whenever I pull up and just say "can I get literally any random muffin" they have a complete meltdown and force me to pick one. And 30% of the time they still get that wrong.
And don't show up after 5pm and want any specific bakery item unless you have a backup choice, backup backup, backup backup backup and possibly a backup backup backup backup. It's not like they bake them all fresh...

Interestingly you can ALWAYS find a Boston Cream, though, whether you want it or not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada