HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 7:38 PM

Allegedly, NJT's budget for next year includes funding for the PATCO extension to Glassboro. I really want that to happen!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
My thoughts:

3) WHY DON'T AMTRAK HARRISBURG TRAINS TERMINATE AT SUBURBAN. It makes so much sense, and they used to do it. It'd be easy; just have Amtrak use track 0.
The short answer is that there is significant through-traffic from Exton, Paoli, and Ardmore to New York.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 10:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

Why did Mr. skyscraper get banned? Did I miss something?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Why did Mr. skyscraper get banned? Did I miss something?
What makes you say that? Just because he/she hasn't gone all lets make Amtrak private in the last few days. One trick pony. Repeat as necessary.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:06 AM
Show me the blueprints

No he's banned. Look it up.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 7:38 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Yep, his last post (about Amtrak) was last Friday:

Mar 8, 2019, 8:08 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Is there a special corner of this web site where the 'banned' are sent to serve their time? (how do you look it up?) I know in the past with "1492" there was some push back about him being banned and some of the reasoning behind the action did come out. Ah, 1492, I miss those days-----

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Yep, his last post (about Amtrak) was last Friday:

Mar 8, 2019, 8:08 PM
BANNED
Given the posting style I think that account was yet another alternate of 1492.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 5:58 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Allegedly, NJT's budget for next year includes funding for the PATCO extension to Glassboro. I really want that to happen!
Would PATCO use the line extending down through Woodbury into Glassboro? Essentially there would be 2 PATCO lines the way I see it. I hope they can make it happen.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Would PATCO use the line extending down through Woodbury into Glassboro? Essentially there would be 2 PATCO lines the way I see it. I hope they can make it happen.
Yes. I'm interested to see how they do it though. Will they grade-separate it, or will they have grade-level crossings? The handling of the third rail would be interesting (the LIRR does it, so it can be done).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 6:35 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Yes. I'm interested to see how they do it though. Will they grade-separate it, or will they have grade-level crossings? The handling of the third rail would be interesting (the LIRR does it, so it can be done).
Those are my questions too. Funny you and I think the same thing.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
The last plan essentially called for Riverline 2.0 including operational compatibility between the two systems.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 8:51 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
The last plan essentially called for Riverline 2.0 including operational compatibility between the two systems.
Which would be a lot easier and cheaper to build out than making it a PATCO extension (the reason it's associated with PATCO rn is because the studies have been funded mainly by DRPA, I'd imagine). You don't have to build any expensive electrification, and you can use some off-the-shelf Stadler GTWs (the equipment RL uses) or similar.

Also I vaguely recall hearing at some time or another RL is nearing capacity? It's actually been a very successful project for what it is. I'd love to see most of those old PRSL branches converted into RL clones, and I rather wish it didn't take a decade a proposal to do so.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah, why futureproof when you can just build another half-assed DMU line?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 10:13 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Yeah, why futureproof when you can just build another half-assed DMU line?
Because the PRSL alignments are mostly at grade. See e.g. Gloucester City, Westville, Woodbury, Wenonah, Sewell, Pitman, and Glassboro for examples on the Glassboro line alone! PATCO, by contrast, had the advantage of building along the previously grade-separated PRSL Main Line which was significantly easier to convert into a subway extension.

On top of that, the Glassboro route is -- and will remain -- an active Conrail alignment, called the Vineland Secondary, meaning that it will have to manage both passenger and freight activity.

Ultimately, my sense is that what's needed is a connection between these routes and Regional Rail, but you need to justify electification before that can happen -- and you need to show the ridership market is there before you can electrify the system. You should be thinking of South Jersey potentially being more like Boston, where the success of MBTA's commuter network is precisely what justifies its electrification, as Alon Levy points out, and less like a subway than the one-off that PATCO was.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 5:25 PM

I think that they should get actual DMUs on the RL. Something akin to Budd RDCs. Why not even an RDC? It's proven tech, and transit agencies in the US still use them. Just slap a new prime mover on each of them to meet tier 4 standards and we're good to go.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 7:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Maybe becuase it's no longer 1970? It may be nostalgic, but nostalgia in all it's forms is no way to run a modern transport system.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 8:44 PM

Quote:
I think that they should get actual DMUs on the RL. Something akin to Budd RDCs. Why not even an RDC? It's proven tech, and transit agencies in the US still use them. Just slap a new prime mover on each of them to meet tier 4 standards and we're good to go.
They are actual DMUs. Anywhere else in the world the Staddler units are able to run in mixed traffic. There's really no reason to hurt their performance by making them heavier than they need to be. I've actually spent a decent amount of time on the Riverline and it's a nice operation, when it hasn't been disrupted by some idiot driving into one of the vehicles.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:57 AM

When does the proposed NJ budget come out? I've got nothing against this PATCO expansion, and it is time that south Jersey get some transit attention, but the State can't seem to get the Atlantic City train back up and running. I just have a hard time expecting the State to come up with $100K's of bucks.
What's the present running time from the end of the line into CC?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:09 PM

N&W 611 is going to spend a month at Strasburg, PA: https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/ri...nion-of-steam/

The reason I bring this up is because depending on what route she takes to get there, we could see the first steam locomotive on the Keystone Corridor in roughly 70 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation