HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 3:18 AM
ハルウララ

I thought Duvernay was getting it for working as a Doc during COVID?

No shortage of candidates this year, at least.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I thought Duvernay was getting it for working as a Doc during COVID? .
That would be lame. It's not a humanitarian award or an award for ... err doing your job. But in this politically f'ed up world he probably would get it. First I've heard of it, myself.

I don't follow NBA and hadn't realized how well Jamal Murray was doing but I think it's Davies' award. He has changed the landscape of Canadian soccer, he was the guy who was able to undo the damage the Ho did.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 3:14 AM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 3:17 AM
The New Republic

I got excited for a second thinking that was about the Ti-Cats. It's going to suck having to wait till June for the CFL to re-start. That's a very long time to go without.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 5:10 AM

Quote:
He did a great job keeping his balance to say in bounds after the catch.
His first NFL reception last week was really nice - got both feet down before going out of bounds. He's already a nice addition to my Steelers.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 4:37 PM
ハルウララ

cc: esquire

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...ubventions.php

[translated from original French]

The QMJHL stuck between fights and subsidies

"Times are tough in the QMJHL. Quebec clubs - deprived of spectators - need money. Now.

Their solution? Request emergency assistance in Quebec. About 20 million, divided among the 12 teams here. Big money. Especially since Quebecers coldly welcome subsidies to sports clubs. Since these are amateur athletes, Minister Isabelle Charest was open.

In return, she made a wish.

That the QMJHL take important steps to reduce fights.

The result of the vote?

For: 10

Against: 8.

Adopted? No. It took the agreement of 12 of the 18 clubs. So status quo.

Of the eight refractory clubs, there are four in the Maritimes. But also four in Quebec. And not the richest. According to my sources, they are the Drummondville Voltigeurs, the Gatineau Olympiques, the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies and the Val-d'Or Foreurs."

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:06 PM

^ Incredible. So they opted to take potentially major financial losses instead of agreeing to dial back the rough stuff? That is something. Either they really, really like fighting or the potential losses aren't as great as they're making them out to be. I didn't think the Q was that rough a league anyway... it's not exactly the LNAH.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:10 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Incredible. So they opted to take potentially major financial losses instead of agreeing to dial back the rough stuff? That is something. Either they really, really like fighting or the potential losses aren't as great as they're making them out to be. I didn't think the Q was that rough a league anyway... it's not exactly the LNAH.
It's the roughest of the three CHL leagues, at least IMO. More fights in the Quebec league than in the OHL, certainly.

If something like the LNAH can continue to exist then I imagine it's because they view fighting as a part of the game. I don't mind the Quebec government coming down and trying to remove it in exchange for funding. Their POV is completely justified, IMO.

Should be pointed out that CHL teams have to cover COVID costs without fans as well as the recent costs affiliated with a settlement in court regarding minimum wages. That settlement equals a couple hundred thousand dollars per team IIRC, which for some in smaller markets would wipe out any chance of a profit in a normal season, let alone one with limited or no fans.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6954457/c...ction-lawsuit/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I was thinking some of the teams may be afraid of losing ground to the LNAH, but it's a non-factor in the Maritimes, and of the Quebec clubs only really Drummondville has the LNAH in their backyard.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
cc: esquire

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...ubventions.php

[translated from original French]

The QMJHL stuck between fights and subsidies

"Times are tough in the QMJHL. Quebec clubs - deprived of spectators - need money. Now.

Their solution? Request emergency assistance in Quebec. About 20 million, divided among the 12 teams here. Big money. Especially since Quebecers coldly welcome subsidies to sports clubs. Since these are amateur athletes, Minister Isabelle Charest was open.

In return, she made a wish.

That the QMJHL take important steps to reduce fights.

The result of the vote?

For: 10

Against: 8.

Adopted? No. It took the agreement of 12 of the 18 clubs. So status quo.

Of the eight refractory clubs, there are four in the Maritimes. But also four in Quebec. And not the richest. According to my sources, they are the Drummondville Voltigeurs, the Gatineau Olympiques, the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies and the Val-d'Or Foreurs."
Isabelle Charest also gave a firm no to the LNAH.

Good on her for standing her ground and using government power to try and improve things.

BTW she is married to former CFLer (Montreal, Edmonton) Steve Charbonneau.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Another BC boy doin' good.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
It's the roughest of the three CHL leagues, at least IMO. More fights in the Quebec league than in the OHL, certainly.

If something like the LNAH can continue to exist then I imagine it's because they view fighting as a part of the game. I don't mind the Quebec government coming down and trying to remove it in exchange for funding. Their POV is completely justified, IMO.

Should be pointed out that CHL teams have to cover COVID costs without fans as well as the recent costs affiliated with a settlement in court regarding minimum wages. That settlement equals a couple hundred thousand dollars per team IIRC, which for some in smaller markets would wipe out any chance of a profit in a normal season, let alone one with limited or no fans.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6954457/c...ction-lawsuit/
I like what the Quebec government has done here. I'm just surprised that the QMJHL won't accept it. It's free money! At a time of crisis!

I'm a little surprised to hear about how rough the Q is. I basically only became a WHL fan this past season when Winnipeg got a team back. The first game I went to between Winnipeg and Brandon at the end of November had quite a number of fights... it was old school. I was a little taken aback. But the other 8 or 9 games I went to after that, including another one vs. Brandon, had fairly minimal fighting, along the lines of the modern day NHL. I'm surprised that it's still common in the Q.

On a somewhat unrelated note, the MJHL, a junior 'A' league in Manitoba, is starting up with fans. The two Winnipeg teams, which share a venue, will have a maximum capacity of 200 fans. This shouldn't be a big problem as the one team that played here last season seldom drew more than that to a game anyway.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'm a little surprised to hear about how rough the Q is. I basically only became a WHL fan this past season when Winnipeg got a team back. The first game I went to between Winnipeg and Brandon at the end of November had quite a number of fights... it was old school. I was a little taken aback. But the other 8 or 9 games I went to after that, including another one vs. Brandon, had fairly minimal fighting, along the lines of the modern day NHL. I'm surprised that it's still common in the Q.
My experience at games in Quebec is that many still value that old style, the-way-things-used-to-be kind of hockey. That's why the LNAH can still survive. I find folks in QC hold onto this cultural idea of hockey from the mid-20th century more than others in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 7:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

According to RDS' Stéphane Leroux, who is pretty much the authority on the Q, fighting has been plummeting in recent years.

He did a compilation a year or so ago that showed that 70-75% of games were played without a fight taking place.

Ten years ago one out of every two games saw at least one fight.

The league also used to average over 1 fight per game, but more recently the average is down to .3 fights per game.

Not sure if this has been mentioned and if I will do a :smack: but the ban on fighting is something the Q has been kicking around itself during the past year or so.

Not sure how the drop in fighting in the Q situates it relative to the rest of the CHL.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:18 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned and if I will do a :smack: but the ban on fighting is something the Q has been kicking around itself during the past year or so.
The Q in February couldn't reach a consensus on whether to ban fighting or not and pushed the vote down the road.

https://www.tsn.ca/quebec-major-juni...-ban-1.1446020

The WHL used to lead this metric until the early 2010s, then the OHL later on. In 2016 IIRC the OHL came down hard on fighting which has left the Q as the last league to really clamp down on it, and part of the issue is the voting and consensus model they use amongst teams to pass new rules.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jr...203917312.html

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 8:08 PM

Chase Claypool with 4 TDs for my Steelers today. 1 rushing, 3 receiving.
He scored a TD in each of the 4 quarters.

He was a steal in the draft.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:23 PM

Edmonton sports legend Joey Moss died yesterday at the age of 57. Quite an outpouring of heartfelt sympathy and remembrances from people throughout the hockey and football worlds... he clearly touched a lot of lives.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:27 PM
Community Guy

That he did, that he did.

I had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions and he was a true gentleman. Always had time for a photo or quick chat and often joking or laughing.

I played sledge hockey for Robin Hood Association; he always dropped the puck for the fundraiser, hung around to chat with players and fans alike.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 2:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

As a big sports fan in my youth I remember him from a distance as he was a memorable figure on innumerable broadcasts I watched.

I seem to recall he initially got this gig as he was the brother of Wayne Gretzky's girlfriend at the time?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:37 PM

^ Yeah, that's how it started sometime in the early/mid 80s. Looks like they remained friends through the years.

I was surprised to hear that he died, I hadn't even heard that he was ill. The family must have been keeping it private, because it would have been news had it been known that he was sick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada