HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 4:09 PM

Not too shabby. What are the chances of this moving forward?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
ML Devco, main + main plan three-tower development at Vanier ‘gateway’

OBJ Staff, August 14, 2020

A pair of Canadian developers are proposing to redevelop an entire block on the western edge of Vanier, overlooking the Rideau River, with a trio of residential high-rises on top of ground-level retail space.

The property at 2 Montreal Rd. and 3 Selkirk St. – the site of a former gas station and the Eastview Shopping Centre, respectively – is located just across the Cummings Bridge:

ML Devco and main + main are looking to build 1,003 rental units in three towers of 22, 28 and 32 storeys sitting atop a two-floor podium. A rezoning application filed with the city says a range of apartment types are envisioned, “with only a small component of studio units.”

Elsewhere in Ottawa, ML Devco – the development arm of Magil Laurentian Realty Investments – is also planning a multi-residential development in Hintonburg after acquiring several parcels of land bordered by Wellington Street West and Armstrong Street just west of the O-Train line for $6.2 million earlier this year, according to RENX.

Main + main, which specializes in mixed-use urban developments, is also planning to develop three highrises on the site of the former Alterna Savings and Credit Union on Albert Street.

The project’s proponents say they hope their Vanier project will help revitalize the wider community. It’s located several blocks away from the site of another proposed multi-building development on Montreal Road. Manor Park plans to build some 591 residential units across three towers on its site near the Vanier Parkway.
https://obj.ca/article/real-estate/r...vanier-gateway

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 12:37 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

No. Not good. They have to go back to first principles. Break the superblock and align your goddamn buildings with the street. Enough of these useless angles.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 12:42 AM

??? The angles are my favourite part!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
No. Not good. They have to go back to first principles. Break the superblock and align your goddamn buildings with the street. Enough of these useless angles.
Uhhh dude...the lot is an irregular quadrilateral. What kind of road alignment are you looking for? I like what they have done with the building alignment here. The project is angled to face the end of the bridge so it creates an excellent gateway feature to a *fingers crosssed* gentrifying Vanier.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
Seconded. I hate that stupid pointless open space at what should be a "strong building" corner with good street frontage. If it survives the rest of the design process, at very least it has to be designed above and beyond the usual trash Ottawa standards that leave us with windswept awfulness in the winter and sun-drenched shadeless awfulness in the summer.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 7:31 PM

I can't say I understand the criticism about the corners that leave some space for parkettes. This is far better than some downtown blocks where we see lot-line to lot-line blocks with narrow sidewalks. And with such a huge podium, those corners are that much more important.

Looking at the specific corners, the one facing the Cummings Bridge is partially owned by the City. It's the gateway to Vanier. The "Welcome to Vanier" corner. So I don't see how anyone can argue with that one. Next is Selkirk/North River where the Vanier Towers across the street are also set-back, so it's needed for consistency. Montgomery/Selkirk is harder to defend, but certainly doesn't have that much of a negative a effect on the overall development.

The only criticism I might have is the extensive "empty" podium on the corner of Montgomery/Selkirk (which is a parking garage). I wouldn't mind if they added a 12 floor mid-rise to fill it-up, along with more green-roof/terrace space.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 1:48 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

This proposal is horrible in so many ways. It is a massive block of podium that only hides surface parking and produces an excessive quantity of blank walls. The useless angling of the building edge is not to create parkettes, it is to snap to a parking grid and the residual space just gets grass. I barf all over it. There's better ways to do this. The previous proposal for this same site was by far superior.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 2:38 AM
National Capital Region

I agree with Mille - limited active frontages, above-ground parking, and building orientation are problematic.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I agree with Mille - limited active frontages, above-ground parking, and building orientation are problematic.
The long non-active frontage on Selkirk faces old office buildings. I quite like the frontages facing Montgomery, North River and Montreal Road. It's human scale and the towers float lightly above. The massive green roof on top of the grocery store/parkade would be a great amenity for residents. The courtyard is a nice touch as well. I like the building orientation because these towers are massive for the neighborhood but they are pushed back from main road and don't hover over the lot lines like the Great Wall of Claridge going up on Rideau. To me it looks like a unique solution for a very oddly shaped lot. I like it.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The long non-active frontage on Selkirk faces old office buildings. I quite like the frontages facing Montgomery, North River and Montreal Road. It's human scale and the towers float lightly above. The massive green roof on top of the grocery store/parkade would be a great amenity for residents. The courtyard is a nice touch as well. I like the building orientation because these towers are massive for the neighborhood but they are pushed back from main road and don't hover over the lot lines like the Great Wall of Claridge going up on Rideau. To me it looks like a unique solution for a very oddly shaped lot. I like it.
I agree with this 100%

Remember folks, the Selkirk facade today is absolutely dismal. Not even a sidewalk. Check out the Google Street View.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4318...7i16384!8i8192

With the new development, the big blank wall will be cut in half.

There's a reason why most of the parking is above grade. I'm sure that reason is specified in the report, but I suspect it's because of the water table.

They might have been able to build two underground parking levels (which is part of the plan), followed by a retail level before the last few levels of parking. Again, I still wish they would include a 12 level tower on the corner of Selkirk and Montgomery.

I also wish they had space for a restaurant on North River or Montreal in order to add a terrace (though the grocery store could have one, similar to Sobey's/Farm Boy on Metcalfe).

All in all though, I still think this is a fantastic project, far better than most, if not all, local developers could have pulled-off.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa