HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 12:13 PM
BANNED

^Sounds highly unlikely, but just imagine if they incorporated the perimeter stairs into part of the observation deck. What an experience that would be! They could call it "Stairway to Heaven". I'd pay double the price of admission just to walk up and down the crown.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^Sounds highly unlikely, but just imagine if they incorporated the perimeter stairs into part of the observation deck. What an experience that would be! They could call it "Stairway to Heaven". I'd pay double the price of admission just to walk up and down the crown.
Those steps are part of the observation deck. I don't know if it will be an additional charge, but it's clearly part of the attraction, and not a utility staircase or something.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Those steps are part of the observation deck. I don't know if it will be an additional charge, but it's clearly part of the attraction, and not a utility staircase or something.
I think he meant the stairway up to the actual highest point of the building.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopFromNYC View Post
I thought I read someplace that you will be able to pay to climb those steps, on the south side of the crown, harnessed in like the Harbor Bridge climb in Sydney. Not sure if I saw that here or on one of the other sites. Any detail or am I hallucinating? If its real, sign me up!
That was posted by one of the construction crew, but never confirmed by Related. It hasn't been advertised at least. It wouldn't shock me though. All of the observation decks are trying to up their game, with all the new competition.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Check this clip again, it would be insane.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmtS-gmF...ed=hudsonyards

Quote:
The #stairway up to the #Halo of #towera at #hudsonyards People are going to pay to make this climb!! Can you do it?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmyzrmZlN3N/?hl=en

Also remembered this post from earlier...

https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.com...tasy-city.html

Quote:
At a distance, the tallest looks like a high-browed robotic duck with a beak so generous you could almost land a helicopter on it. That’s the outdoor observation deck, which juts out 65 feet and comes to a point 1,100 feet above the street. From here — or better yet, from the set of bleachers that allows you to peer over the glass railing — I can look down on the Empire State Building. I can behold the widescreen, high-res view of a New York more orderly and wondrous than the one most of us live in.

The space won’t open for another year, but I can already see the over-the-top weddings in the party room upstairs, where guests can dance far, far above the stink and mess below.

An adventurous few will be able to take a dedicated elevator even further up to the pointed peak, don a harness, climb out on a catwalk in the open air, and howl into the wind.

So far, the only thing Related has said is that there will be a "surprise" element up there. I always thought that meant the glass floor, but it also could have been the bleachers that they don't talk about, and isn't in any rendering.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 29, 2019 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:25 PM
BANNED

^ Good find, NYGuy. I have my doubts, but I will be pleasantly surprised if they indeed open those steps to the public!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
So far, the only thing Related has said is that there will be a "surprise" element up there. I always thought that meant the glass floor, but it also could have been the bleachers that they don't talk about, and isn't in any rendering.
You nailed it with that Intelligencer column from New York Magazine: "The Precipice: Urban adventurers will be able to strap on a harness and climb this lattice atop 30 Hudson Yards out in the freezing wind."

The bleachers are one thing, obviously incorporated into the standard observation deck experience, but the Precipice stair climb to the top would be another thing altogether, like I said, similar to the Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb, with harnesses but even more insane. Looks nuts without a railing on the open side! I think I could handle the climb up, but not so sure about the return down!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 1:10 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopFromNYC View Post
You nailed it with that Intelligencer column from New York Magazine: "The Precipice: Urban adventurers will be able to strap on a harness and climb this lattice atop 30 Hudson Yards out in the freezing wind."

The bleachers are one thing, obviously incorporated into the standard observation deck experience, but the Precipice stair climb to the top would be another thing altogether, like I said, similar to the Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb, with harnesses but even more insane. Looks nuts without a railing on the open side! I think I could handle the climb up, but not so sure about the return down!

I missed that exact part in the article. I guess closer to opening there'll be more advertising for it. But I freaked out a little just leaning over the top of the Vessel to take pics. There are a lot of people who will gladly pay to do it, and it would be something for those kids who like to climb skyscrapers to do, legally.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 3:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: chihoboken

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:20 AM

My latest video from this morning, BY QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Du25lhqSw

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:11 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENSNYMAN View Post
My latest video from this morning, BY QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Du25lhqSw
Excellent video. Watched the whole thing.

I wish those people would stop being on their phones, and listen to queensnyman describe the surroundings.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 12:57 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but is this one of the if not the highest outdoor staircase on earth?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 3:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnlover2005 View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong but is this one of the if not the highest outdoor staircase on earth?
Those stairs are over 1,130 feet, so possibly. Maybe 2 World Trade will take that title when built

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 3:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
Those stairs are over 1,130 feet, so possibly. Maybe 2 World Trade will take that title when built
Don’t you mean IF built

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnlover2005 View Post
Don’t you mean IF built
No, there's a chance. It's just incredibly dim, that's why I said maybe at the beginning of the sentence

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 3:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 5:03 AM
BANNED

Great photo of HY, the most modern looking part of NY.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 1:08 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

'Deedy dat.

Now if they can just figure out if that switching center can be dealt with.......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive