HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Also, I would love to see the crown lit up, and obviously more pedestrian activity nearby. Bunker Hill and Civic Center need the same vibe like South Park.
Speaking of the vibe in South Park, that could really start to take off in the near future. People returning to Staples and the Convention Center along with the thousands of new residents have to make that area attractive for more investment. I can see that area becoming much more active than it is now and pretty quickly.

As it is now, if you live in South Park, you have to leave your neighborhood for groceries (I know delivery) and anything else that can't be found at 7-eleven or that little drug store on grand/12th.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Speaking of the vibe in South Park, that could really start to take off in the near future. People returning to Staples and the Convention Center along with the thousands of new residents have to make that area attractive for more investment. I can see that area becoming much more active than it is now and pretty quickly.

As it is now, if you live in South Park, you have to leave your neighborhood for groceries (I know delivery) and anything else that can't be found at 7-eleven or that little drug store on grand/12th.
A CVS is going in at the Hope + Flower tower.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 6:41 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:

Ralphs is only a few blocks away.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 7:49 PM

Eyeballing the new 1133 S Hope apartments from my own place, they have really been picking up on filling units in the past few months. There's plenty of open retail spots in the lower level of buildings around here so it could definitely see a new burst of activity in the next year or so, especially if someone finishes Oceanwide...

The Ralphs is relatively close and so is Whole Foods, but I'd still like to see a nice small market in the neighborhood, perhaps similar to Cookbook Market that's in Highland Park. The neighborhood would probably fight against a large grocery chain given the crowd outside of Whole Foods and Ralphs, if you know what I mean...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 7:59 PM

Ya both that project and onnis new towers seem to have filled up nicely

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Ralphs is only a few blocks away.
I lived in South Park for a few years and I'm still not that far away now. I really liked it, but every trip started with walking north for a least a couple blocks. More than that if you live farther south. As someone who lived there, I think that they need more amenities and will get more amenities, but that appears to be an unpopular opinion. Lol.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
A CVS is going in at the Hope + Flower tower.
That's great for the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 9:26 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Full redesign of Onni's Times Mirror proposal by the quality firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz.

My personal take - Much much better. Yes it is basically a watered down version of the Aqua Tower in Chicago, but that is not a bad building at all to be inspired by. Love the angle roofline that should be lit as well. Love that they are keeping the same program with office, apartment and most importantly to me the retail filled paseo.
Much better. My only complaint is that it’s too much parking for a site located directly adjacent to a subway station that will be served by two lines which connect themselves will provide quick, easy transfer to two more subway lines.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Much better. My only complaint is that it’s too much parking for a site located directly adjacent to a subway station that will be served by two lines which connect themselves will provide quick, easy transfer to two more subway lines.
It's way too much parking, but it's what's required. They would have to petition for less or add affordable homes in accordance with TOC. Asking for less until recently involved paying bribes. The city of Los Angeles recently reversed course and changed bribery from required to forbidden.

Interesting point though about transit access. Until your post I had been looking at this project as being across the street from the new station and only 2 blocks from the closest B and D station. But as you point out, no one would likely ever need to walk to the Civic Center Station. Quicker or about the same to take light rail to union station and if headed the other way, quicker to transfer at 7th/metro.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
That's great for the neighborhood.
Hope and Flower tower?
🤔

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Hope and Flower tower?
🤔
I assume one of the two Onni towers at 12th between Hope and Flower. I think that is their name.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
LA needs no supertalls, it's already too prominent.
I'm so super anxious to see the downtown area Manhattanize, no complaints unless the building is only 7 stories tall

You're probably tired of my complaints about hotels/apartment/condo buildings not having balconies, but it doesn't look like The Grand has any balconies. Rooftop deck, as a compromise?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 3:39 PM

A few more updates

Perla condo tower just about done.

The Merritt Building

Citizen M Hotel at 4th and Spring streets.

Ato condos u/c at 118 Astronaut Ellison S. Onizuka Street in Little Tokyo.

The Grand Tower in the distance from Little Tokyo.

Tower Theater/Apple flagship.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 4:05 PM

Another great update pwright1! Grand Tower is so prominent from 2nd Street in that photo, but will be mostly undetectable from that same view in a few years when the larger Onni tower blocks it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Tower Theater/Apple flagship.
Great pic. She cleaned up real nice.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 4:23 AM

You get nice views of The Grand project as long as you're around Little Tokyo, City Hall, or Grand Central Market area. Otherwise yea, it's covered up by other projects. Not a big deal though, that's just life in a big city. Just hope we see more cool designs pop up in between some of the historic and older monolith type buildings we have throughout to give some texture and make it even more impressive from street level. Not every project needs to add to the skyline view.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:32 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Grand Ave.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
Grand Ave.

Great shots! Has The Grand topped out yet?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 6:49 PM

^^^^ Love it ^^^^

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 12:44 AM

This inclement weather calls for a picture perfect day for a skyline shot! Anybody wants to treat us with a few shots? 😉

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations