HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Have you seen the Rivian interior? Looks the same as Tesla.
Again. Doesn't make it good.

And note I'm not saying that putting a million buttons on is good design either. There's an optimum middle ground here.

I wish companies were thinking through more about the UX and not just about how many buttons they can standardize (legacy OEMs), or cut (new EV OEMs) to reduce costs.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Again. Doesn't make it good.

And note I'm not saying that putting a million buttons on is good design either. There's an optimum middle ground here.

I wish companies were thinking through more about the UX and not just about how many buttons they can standardize (legacy OEMs), or cut (new EV OEMs) to reduce costs.
I was always surprised there is no standard for automatic shifters. The one in the new Golf is a joke:

[IMG]golf by whatnextyvr, on Flickr[/IMG]
credit: Forbes

Yes, it is that stubby little thing.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:10 PM

And putting it that stubby switch next to a similar action parking brake control.

I always wonder if car companies don't hire any Human Factors engineers. At least the touchscreen proponents like Tesla have an element of HF in there by virtue of employing UI designers for their software.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 8:44 PM

I've been driving my FIL's new Ford Explorer this week. I have to say, while I like a lot of the modern features (adaptive cruise, lane assist, auto-brights) more than I thought I would, I absolutely can't stand the dial gear selector. Anything other than a column shifter in a truck-like vehicle feels wrong. Making a quick 3-point turn was made a lot more difficult by not knowing by the lever location what gear you're in.

Thankfully it has physical buttons for HVAC and radio!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 12:45 PM

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford...t-look-review/

Ford Maverick - compact pickup with 40mpg and Hybrid coming standard. Oh, and it's $26k.

It's a unibody truck so towing is low at 2,000lbs for the hybrid but can be optioned up to 4,000lbs with the larger engine and AWD.

This looks like it would be more than enough for 90% of truck owners, especially with the 4,000lbs towing option. Enough to tow all ones toys, RVs, etc. while still getting excellent fuel efficiency. I'm sure the larger non-hybrid powertrain isn't going to be getting 40 MPG but it'll probably still be excellent.

I'll be in the market in a year or two and I like this.. a lot. Gets better fuel efficiency than my wifes civic, isn't absurdly large like current full size trucks, doesn't cost $40k+, and offers all the truck functionality I would use without the functionality I wouldn't.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; Jun 8, 2021 at 1:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:34 PM

Honestly, I think making a pickup with those payload and towing specs is a recipe for a lot of people dangerously overloading this vehicle. It seems like it can't be much more than a large sedan or crossover, but will drivers appreciate that?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:37 PM

It's not hard to max out over 2,000lbs towing, but 4,000lbs is a lot tougher. 4,000lbs is enough to tow a full size boat, an RV, etc.

Even 2,000lbs is enough to tow a fishing boat, multiple sea doos / snowmobiles, etc. It's really enough for most light towing which most people do.

Unless you have an RV or 20ft bowrider boat you don't really need more. And if you do full size trucks are always available.

I mean yea it's basically an SUV with a truck bed, but honestly that's all most people really need.

NA towing ratings are also hilariously under-rated. I saw someone on Sunday towing probably 2,000lbs with two sea-doos on the back of a Chevy Camaro, and that type of thing is quite common in Europe. Camaro's are rated for 600lbs in NA. Lots of people there pulling small RVs behind compact cars.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:08 PM

I like it. I think it's a more appropriate truck for most people.

There's plenty of people who don't tow much. And for them a pickup is a lifestyle vehicle. Camping and hauling lumber from Home Depot. Having an option for a cheaper and more fuel efficient helps. And Ford is pitching it more as an urban/suburban truck.

Video Link

It's also a great truck for a lot of tradesmen who just need a bed for space. It's a lot closer to the actual definition of a half-ton than what an F150 is these days.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 2:11 PM

That actually looks really good. If it came in a 2-door I'd seriously consider one.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 5:32 PM
recession proof

Not bad but why is Ford pickup truck design so conservative? I priced out the base model at $26500 with a bed liner, rubber floor mats and 110V outlets. I wonder if you could add a bed mounted camper? I could see it becoming Canada's top selling vehicle by 2024. It'll make a compelling used vehicle purchase c.2026.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:35 PM

I don't mind the new Maverick, it's a lot less ugly and in your face then most new pickup trucks. Here's a pretty thorough tour of the interior!

Doug Demuro - The 2022 Ford Maverick Is a City-Friendly Small Pickup Truck

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 6:35 PM

4.5' bed. That's not exactly a comfortable camper.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 8:47 PM

Meh, it is a pick-up truck, they're all pretty interchangeable from a styling standpoint.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

It's a unibody truck so towing is low at 2,000lbs for the hybrid but can be optioned up to 4,000lbs with the larger engine and AWD.
My unibody vehicle is rated for 7700 lb towing

It’s too bad the hybrid is only fwd. But it will be enough truck for the way most people use them.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 3:07 PM

The towing is definitely disappointing. 7,700lbs is really high for a unibody vehicle though! That's more than the body on frame Ranger.

I'm guessing they figure most people doing large tows don't need the Maverick and Ford wants to push them to a Ranger or F150 if they need really high tow numbers like that.

Maverick is supposed to be a light duty truck, so it is rated for light duty. It's enough to tow around any tows a typical person may have but isn't going to be towing around large RVs or boats any time soon. You need an F150 for that, and that's OK as most people don't actually need that.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 7:33 PM

Since I mentioned this bloated pigmobile earlier, here's an update with its official mileage figures. Shockingly bad for a mass-market manufacturer in 2021:

2022 Jeep Grand Wagoneer rated at a thirsty 15 L/100 km by U.S. EPA
The big Jeep boasts big luxury, but also likely a big fuel bill for its new buyers
by ALEX REID | 21 HOURS AGO

Jeep’s new Grand Wagoneer is more than just a rehash of an old name — it’s an upscale take on the modern SUV, adorned with as much luxury as the brand can muster. Unfortunately, the addition of all that comfort will apparently also put the pain into buyer’s wallets, particularly at the pumps.

The Grand Wagoneer is powered by a massive 6.4-litre V8, which provides 471 horsepower and 455 lb-ft of torque to all four wheels.

All that power makes for an effortless ride, but, unfortunately, brings the average fuel consumption down to an abysmal 15 mpg combined (about 15.7 L/100 km) according to the U.S. EPA. The governing body also rated the mileage in the city at 13 mpg (18.1 L/100 km); and 18 mpg (13.1 L/100 km) on the highway....

https://www.driving.ca/auto-news/new...-km-by-u-s-epa

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 7:45 PM

Whoever is buying a big Jeep Grand Wagoneer couldn't give an eff about fuel efficiency. I guess it could make sense if you are pulling a huge trailer, but otherwise it seems like a waste of money.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 7:52 PM

Right on the verge of oil prices shooting back up. I'm starting to think Mitt Romney may have been right about letting Detroit go bankrupt.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Whoever is buying a big Jeep Grand Wagoneer couldn't give an eff about fuel efficiency. I guess it could make sense if you are pulling a huge trailer, but otherwise it seems like a waste of money.
The MSRP is $80,000 for a Wagoneer and runs up to $120,000 for a Grand Wagoneer. You're right about the fuel efficiency, but Jeep's playing in a market where 'waste of money' is a sign you've made it. See: Cadillac Escalade.

Chrysler, er, Stellantis pretty much exists for Ram and Jeep these days in North America.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 9:00 PM

The thing I don't get is why vehicles this size aren't all hybridized. Specs like this make OEMs just look terrible. They could have made it a mild hybrid and gotten more power and torque while still getting better mileage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada