HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 2:29 PM
zzzzzzzz

SAN FRANCISCO | There Are Worse Places to Spend 17 Hours

I recently took a road trip from Portland to Phoenix to visit my parents and stopped in SF for a night along the way.

I wasn’t there for very long (arrived late afternoon one day and left mid-morning the next), but I made time to walk around and take some photos while I was in the city.

I probably wasted too much time at Twin Peaks, and didn’t get to as many parts of town as I would have liked, but I’m sure I’ll be back at some point.

Anyway, enjoy (or not, it’s up to you)…

Pano ---->>>>>>

Pano ---->>>>>>

Bonus LA Skyline photo – I only stopped to check out the view from Elysian Park, so there’s no LA photo thread coming (although I did one several years ago).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 3:19 PM

Fantastic photos! I was just there last summer and I enjoyed my time around the city. I, too, spent some time up at Twin Peaks (what a view). It was SUPER windy though when I was there. I wanted to stay for the nightscape but I was so worried about our limited hotel parking that I left earlier to ensure I could get a spot. I bet it was gorgeous up there at night.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 4:53 PM
Community Guy

Such an incredible city and still one of my favourites to just meander in.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 27, 2021, 7:09 PM

So to the visitors, I must ask:

- Did you find it "covid-dead"? There's a lot still closed including restaurants that will never come back and businesses boarded up (to me that seems especially true around Union Square which has always been a tourist magnet).

- Were the number of homeless on the streets shocking or bothersome?

- Any problems with crime? (car smash 'n grabs are legion and tourists leave stuff in their cars sp they are targeted)

- Did you ride Muni while in town? (service isn't yet back to "normal" and especially the night-time hours)

Nice pictures--appreciate the attention.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 2:32 AM
zzzzzzzz

Thanks guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
Fantastic photos! I was just there last summer and I enjoyed my time around the city. I, too, spent some time up at Twin Peaks (what a view). It was SUPER windy though when I was there. I wanted to stay for the nightscape but I was so worried about our limited hotel parking that I left earlier to ensure I could get a spot. I bet it was gorgeous up there at night.
It was really windy when I was up there, too. I think the temperature was in the mid 50s, but with the wind it felt much colder, especially after the sun set. My fingers were numb by the time I left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
So to the visitors, I must ask:

- Did you find it "covid-dead"? There's a lot still closed including restaurants that will never come back and businesses boarded up (to me that seems especially true around Union Square which has always been a tourist magnet).

- Were the number of homeless on the streets shocking or bothersome?

- Any problems with crime? (car smash 'n grabs are legion and tourists leave stuff in their cars sp they are targeted)

- Did you ride Muni while in town? (service isn't yet back to "normal" and especially the night-time hours)

Nice pictures--appreciate the attention.
It was mid-May when I was there, so it was prior to California reopening. I hadn't been to SF in years prior to that, so I can't really compare activity levels to what's "normal", but I had much less traffic coming into town on a Friday afternoon at 4:30/5:00 than I expected. I saw a few places boarded up, but nothing like what downtown Portland had, basically from last summer up until a couple weeks ago.

The homeless presence didn't seem particularly noteworthy. My visit was short, and limited to a few neighborhoods - Nob Hill, Chinatown, Western Addition/Fillmore, Alamo Square, etc., but I did walk Market St. from Hayes/9th to Taylor, then took Taylor and some other streets through the Tenderloin. Plenty of homeless people in that area, and I saw some drug use, but nothing that I wouldn't expect to see in Portland's Old Town. I hadn't intended on walking though the Tenderloin, especially not with my camera out, but I didn't have any issues and didn't feel unsafe. It was Saturday morning, though - I wasn't there in the evening.

No problems with crime. I was only there for a night, and my hotel had parking that seemed pretty secure.

I didn't ride Muni. Didn't really have a reason or need to. I did all my travel around town on foot, except for the trip to Twin Peaks, which i drove.

The thing that surprised me the most on my visit was how quiet and empty Chinatown was at night. Granted, it was 11 or midnight when I walked through, but there was no one around, and very little traffic. I guess that's probably a byproduct of Covid restrictions, but it was surprising. Other parts of town had lots of activity late into the night (e.g. the area around Polk St. and Pine, which was near where I stayed). But the quiet streets in Chinatown made it easy to set up a tripod and take photos, which was nice.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 4:54 AM
你的媽媽

Nice shots! Well done, mate. You should def stay longer next time!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 10:05 AM

Thank you for thread!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 4:26 PM
BANNED

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 11:30 PM

FYI, I live at the point of the arrow:

Old Posted Jul 5, 2021, 12:24 AM

For the last photo I was like "darn SF skyline do look like LA skyline now" then I realized it was LA skyline indeed.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2021, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekkle View Post

Wow this view really illustrates the dramatic punch that the Salesforce Tower has added!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos