HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:25 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

here's an idea, stack the two 30-stories into one and build a new arena.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 10:48 PM

Will this one go through the Ripple effect. Seems convenient to get site plan and zoning alignment to flip to another.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:08 PM

Is parking really a big deal? The city has had tons of parking for decades when it was at its nadir. Let the market decide rather than some planner. If parking rates go up, some people on the margin will switch to taking the bus or bike or even move into Beasley.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 2:05 PM

Parking is definitely important and the affordability of parking is a deciding factor if I’d buy a condo. I work outside the city where transit or cycling isn’t an option. As such, I need my car and would expect secured parking.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 2:33 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnor View Post
Parking is definitely important and the affordability of parking is a deciding factor if I’d buy a condo. I work outside the city where transit or cycling isn’t an option. As such, I need my car and would expect secured parking.
This.

I mean yes I get that the city is trying to localize work close to where these people live eventually, but it's not there yet. People still travel to work outside of the city.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 6:03 AM

I was thinking about this building, and I just kind of hate the setback podium design that has become popular. I would hope for something more along the lines of this on the John and Wilson corner, which is hilarious because this is from Oakville.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 20, 2020, 7:34 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I was thinking about this building, and I just kind of hate the setback podium design that has become popular. I would hope for something more along the lines of this on the John and Wilson corner, which is hilarious because this is from Oakville.

I agree and disagree. The tower-on-podium can certainly make buildings look more stodgy, but they're also the most effective way to manage wind tunnel effects which is in my personal opinion one of the few reasonable criteria to test building massing on.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 11:16 PM

A new development application was submitted this month.

New Plan:

- Three 30-storey towers above two base buildings
- 962 dwelling units
- 1,196 sq.m. of commercial space
- 442 parking spaces within three underground levels

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 1:46 AM

Very low parking ratio. I like it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
A new development application was submitted this month.

New Plan:

- Three 30-storey towers above two base buildings
- 962 dwelling units
- 1,196 sq.m. of commercial space
- 442 parking spaces within three underground levels
Amazing, hope this happens. I'm so sick of the endless sea of parking lots.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 8:33 PM

Full architectural set for this is available below:

https://cityshare.hamilton.ca/s/orL9jK7q6g6cdzr

Someone can feel free to pull out the perspective images of it from there if they want.

It has 962 units so quite large, but the Developer is the same one that tried to do that failed development on James North where people could create their own custom units so I'm not sure how likely this is to happen.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:25 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Full architectural set for this is available below:

https://cityshare.hamilton.ca/s/orL9jK7q6g6cdzr

Someone can feel free to pull out the perspective images of it from there if they want.

It has 962 units so quite large, but the Developer is the same one that tried to do that failed development on James North where people could create their own custom units so I'm not sure how likely this is to happen.
I like the density but ughhh what an ugly mess with all 3 being so close and the same height. One building should be like 40 floors and the other ones should vary but lower their heights maybe 30 & 20 floors or something other than this table top skyline!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
I like the density but ughhh what an ugly mess with all 3 being so close and the same height. One building should be like 40 floors and the other ones should vary but lower their heights maybe 30 & 20 floors or something other than this table top skyline!
I suspect after the last shitshow with last time where the developer tried really hard to be conscious of neighbourhood wants and needs, spent days knocking on doors to get feedback and made numerous changes based on community feedback, only to get appealed to the LPAT, this is an attempt to push for 30 and get settled down to 15-20, something profitable but lower than they requested.

It's also not really a good spot for 40 or even 30 storeys. This is a good spot for 30 on the south east corner of Wilson and John, and a nice 15 and 20 on the other sections with a nice podium.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:10 PM

1BDRM: 646
1 + Den: 220
2BDRM: 62
2 + Den: 12
3BDRM: 22
Res. Parking: 427
Visitor Park: 51
Bicycle Parking: 536

I really like the ground floor design. From my understanding this "developer" is actually an architect looking to get into the development game. It's no surprise their ground floor is great with tons of pedestrian elements and walk ways. For a few more pages from the PDF and the ones below all in higher quality: https://imgur.com/a/rgitMNg

Existing:

Proposed:

Last edited by TheRitsman; Jun 10, 2020 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:28 PM

Looks like they're proposing 29 storeys as that's all that fits within current zoning, not 30.

Also props to whoever on John Street has refused to sell that home lol its in for quite the awkward future!

Last edited by johnnyhamont; Jun 10, 2020 at 11:37 PM. Reason: I was wrong about height proposed vs height allowed

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:59 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Looks like they're proposing 29 storeys as that's all that fits within current zoning, not 30.

Also props to whoever on John Street has refused to sell that home lol its in for quite the awkward future!
anyone else getting "batteries not included" movie vibes from this?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:10 AM

I love the design at the podium level. Would like to see the building heights staggered: maybe 17 storey, 22 storey & 27 storey. Either way, much needed density in the core!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:38 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonPlanning View Post
I love the design at the podium level. Would like to see the building heights staggered: maybe 17 storey, 22 storey & 27 storey. Either way, much needed density in the core!
The apartments themselves feel a bit unimaginative - the style reminds me of all the other apartments in the west end - I'd like to see something a bit funky in the styling personally.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
The apartments themselves feel a bit unimaginative - the style reminds me of all the other apartments in the west end - I'd like to see something a bit funky in the styling personally.
The design above the podium definitely leaves something to be desired, and find it interesting they do not have windows on each end of the east and west side of the Wilson building.

I suspect as I previously mentioned, that in an attempt to do exactly that, get a nice shorter staggered height, they proposed the max, and hope to settle with a better design and more interesting staggering.

I can't imagine an architecture company would come up with something so unimaginative above the fifth floor.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 1:30 AM

These towers are pretty typical, but will be good filler. I wish they were taller, but I'm more excited to see another giant parking lot disappear.

I'm currently adding these to my Hamilton future skyline model and they actually don't look too out of place all being at the same height, considering they sit out in the open with no other tall buildings in adjacent lots. I'll post images of the updated model soon so people can see.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton