HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 7:41 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Those renderings are phenomenal.

This might rival the ESB and 1WTC in becoming the most iconic building.
lololol no. ESB will forever be NYC's icon building, whether it's surpassed by height or not.

As for this building, it will look phenomenal!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
And to think something of similar height could rise just next door...
Maybe on the 335 Madison Avenue site, the developer Howard Milsteinon plans to build something bigger than Vanderbuilt tower.
I imagined how this tower could be such near of the Vanderbuilt project.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:09 PM

^ Is that a serious rendering? That must be 2000+ feet!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its from his imagination I presume. Hopefully, any future tower that would rise near it would be that height.

Mega tall needs to be the next milestone.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
^ Is that a serious rendering? That must be 2000+ feet!
No, this is just my imaginary proposal of a 600 meters tower.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
lololol no. ESB will forever be NYC's icon building, whether it's surpassed by height or not.
It will certainly be one of the great icons, it's the grandaddy of all supertalls. But as we speak, new generations are growing that don't know if from its dominating days. With each new day, that grows less and less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Hopefully, any future tower that would rise near it would be that height.
All of the close rezoned sites will have the same FAR, with each being basically the same lot size. Perhaps if some of Grand Central's air rights can be stacked on top you could get something taller. There are also new ideas brewing in the overall midtown east rezoning (to come next year) that could allow for landmark air rights transfers accross the district, meaning some could come from St. Patrick's. But I don't think it needs a taller tower next door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I'm surprised there haven't been more announcements on the parcels to the north of this site.
There have been developments in the works...

341 Madison
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=6875557

335 Madison
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215951

I think these renders are worthy of a collage...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I agree. If they use the untapped air rights, it could very well be. St. Patricks alone holds enough for a monstrous tower if the right parcels are bought and litigation is made.

I'm sure as the Midtown E. plan is tweaked, it would allow for such transfers. The city needs more class-A space, and thats one way of meeting it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 8:53 PM

Hmmm, did they change the proportions of the crown? It looks different in those renders.

It's starting to grow on me.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 9:06 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

For people born prior to this building's completion, you're definitely right: ESB will always be the defining tower of NY. It's just ingrained in the image of NY (the name helps as well). But for people born after this tower is built, I think this one will slowly take over that iconic spot, provided nothing larger is built in a short window of time after (or at the same time ala ESB and Chrysler). So 25-30 years after this gets completed, it likely might become the symbol of NY. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post

As for this building, it will look phenomenal!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 9:20 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I just don't know if we'll ever get a single building that will be as much a symbol of New York as the ESB was. There are just so many towers going up right now, all in the basic same range (1,100-1,500 ft). I think you would have to build a 2,000 ft or more tower to achieve that. They'll all be looming icons of the city of supertalls.

One thing that strikes me, looking at the renders, is that this building will add another layer of confusion to those who don't know the distinction between the Empire State and the Crhysler Building.

Aahh, if only they could have added 200 ft to the Tower Verre instead of chopping 200 ft off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Hmmm, did they change the proportions of the crown? It looks different in those renders.

It's starting to grow on me.

It always seems just a little different to me. But I think a lot has to do with lighting and angles. Here's a look from all sides.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
No, this is just my imaginary proposal of a 600 meters tower.
I would kill for something like that to be built. It looks like a more imposing Hudson Yards tower.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 12:26 AM
BANNED

Wtc is so staid and boring compared to this. Pity they went so conservative down there because they could have made something iconic like this rather than a bunch of glorified boxes. Anyway, this tower is going to be the icon in my opinion out of this boom.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 2:43 AM

Looks fantastic, but I'm kind of puzzled as to why the observation area is a good 200-250 feet below the roof with a whole lot of empty space in between...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 3:07 AM

Im really holding out for the hudson spire site to give us something incredible.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 4:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Looks fantastic, but I'm kind of puzzled as to why the observation area is a good 200-250 feet below the roof with a whole lot of empty space in between...
The obeservation deck itself is still a work in progress. It will be multiple levels. But as I mentioned earlier, they could have just topped the building off with the office space. Everything else is because the developer specifically wanted a skyline icon.

http://www.6sqft.com/wp-content/uplo...L-Greene-6.jpg

Quote:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...379690350.html

SL Green's Dreams of Development

By LAURA KUSISTO and ELIOT BROWN
June 3, 2012

SL Green Realty Corp., New York's largest office building owner but a relatively untested developer of new buildings, has taken a step forward in its ambitious plans to build a trophy office tower across the street from Grand Central Terminal. SL Green has brought in one of the country's most prominent office developers, Hines of Houston, Texas, to act as a consultant on the 1.2 million-square-foot project. The team is in the preliminary stages of drawing up plans for the block-long site on Madison Avenue between 42nd and 43rd streets, according to people familiar with the matter.

...SL Green executives clearly want to move forward. According to the transcript of an investor conference in December, Edward Piccinich, SL Green's executive vice president of property management and construction, said the company plans to build "a spectacular trophy asset with designs inspiration from around the world," drawing on iconic modern towers such as the Burj Khalifa in Dubai and the International Commerce Centre tower in Hong Kong.

"I imagined how the lines and the curves of these designs will make a huge impact on the city skyline. I thought about how great it would be [to] construct one of these tower[s] over Grand Central Terminal," Mr. Piccinich said.

While SL Green owns more than 25 million square feet of office space in the city, most of its development experience has been with overhauling existing office buildings. Development of new buildings "is not in their DNA," says Michael Knott, an analyst at Green Street Advisors. "I don't think that they have an intention to dive headlong into ground-up development. It's more of a one-off, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

The top of the tower will be something a little similar to the Shanghai Tower...

Early concept sketch...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2015, 6:13 AM

Something like the second drawing's crown observation area is what I would like to see

If applied to the current design height, it would easily be the tallest observation space in the city at well over 1300'

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 12:28 AM

NYC will have a lot of amazing observation decks!

Empire State
Top of the Rock
One World Trade Center

Coming soon...
Hudson Yards North Tower
1 Vanderbuilt

Am I missing any?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 12:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Staten Island Wheel. View of the bay will be nice. Not a deck, but its over 600 ft.

Also Statue of Liberty.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 1:13 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.6sqft.com/skyline-wars-on...e-roof-height/

Skyline Wars: One Vanderbilt and East Midtown Upzoning Are Raising the Roof…Height!

This week Carter brings us the second installment of nine-part series, “Skyline Wars,” which examines the explosive and unprecedented supertall phenomenon that is transforming the city’s silhouette. In this post Carter zooms in on Midtown East and the design of One Vanderbilt, the controversial tower that is being pinned as the catalyst for change in an area that has fallen behind in recent decades.

DECEMBER 7, 2015
BY CARTER B. HORSLEY

Quote:
THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE TOWER AND THE AREA

The banded earthen and glass tower will also be higher than the Empire State Building and most of the large group of supertalls now sprouting in the 57th Street/Central Park South corridor.

SL Green’s website provides the following commentary about its plans for the new development:

One Vanderbilt is an iconic Class A office tower in Midtown Manhattan. The building’s design was to meet today’s market needs, but also address a civic need to strengthen the Midtown Core and the Grand Central District. Formally, the massing is comprised of four interlocking, tapering volumes that spiral up to the sky. This tapered shape creates an elegant proportion sympathetic to the shaft of nearby Chrysler Building. At the base, a series of angled cuts organize a visual procession to Grand Central Terminal, revealing the Vanderbilt corner of its magnificent cornice—a view which has been obstructed for nearly a century.

…The material palette of the design takes cues from the textured, masonry construction typical of the neighborhood—the tower wall consists of a terra cotta spandrel while terra cotta soffits and herringbone flooring are reminiscent of Gustavino tile work. Shading elements enhance environmental performance and add texture to the tower.

…An active urban base makes One Vanderbilt a 21st century successor to Rockefeller Center.

…Following the layered language of such great New York buildings as the Chrysler, the Empire State, and the Woolworth, the top of One Vanderbilt spirals up to a narrow point. A nuanced façade treatment that interplays vertical and diagonal structure against a transparent glass is also pragmatic, offering panoramic views of the city.

Read more in the article link...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:03 PM

Secretly, this has been my favorite project for a long time. I can't wait to watch this go up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive