HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Blanchard has passed Vranich 1.0 on the Procrastinator Developers list... closing in on Stinson.
Yeah but I don't think they qualify as developers. They're landlords or perhaps speculators but not developers. Never developers.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 1:08 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Yeah but I don't think they qualify as developers. They're landlords or perhaps speculators but not developers. Never developers.
How about "Grand Proposers, and Sometimes Builders of Cheapo Thingies"

There are probably multiple categories that can be designated.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2021, 7:36 PM

Did not Blanchard demolish a small office building at 20 Jackson Street West around the beginning of 2014? And did he not promise to build a new larger building there connecting to Main St within two years? He was not allowed to use it as a parking lot and it is still closed off. I thought that there was a by-law that stated that in the core, once you were issued a demolition permit, you had to start construction in 2 years on a new building or there would be a penalty?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 6:06 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Did not Blanchard demolish a small office building at 20 Jackson Street West around the beginning of 2014? And did he not promise to build a new larger building there connecting to Main St within two years? He was not allowed to use it as a parking lot and it is still closed off. I thought that there was a by-law that stated that in the core, once you were issued a demolition permit, you had to start construction in 2 years on a new building or there would be a penalty?
You are correct. Late 2013.

Looks like they're still using part of the old footprint for access to parking too, based on the location of that tree relative to the original building.

From the 2015 RTH post:

October 2020:
https://goo.gl/maps/BQPMKkbG2hTKu1c7A

https://raisethehammer.org/article/1...for_demolition
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...rking-lot.html
https://www.raisethehammer.org/artic...on_street_west

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 12:37 PM

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...gore-park.html

On to its, what, 15th iteration now? 6 storeys with retention of heritage facades and a new urban laneway type space where #30 used to be.

Hopefully it actually happens this time.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:50 PM

Whether this rendering sticks or not who knows, but hopefully they incorporate the pergola laneway vibe or the european laneway interlock stonework. That would really up the class.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:10 PM

Love DPAI but almost anything they do architecture for never seems to get built. No idea why.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:55 PM
It's a nickname from work

Ehh... I don't like the laneway. That missing building is a missing tooth in the streetwall, and this just permeates it. They have plenty of patio spaces on King Street

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:39 PM
Ham-burgher

Read this earlier. Finally something positive?

I don't mind the laneway. And because it allows for windows on the east side, it probably makes the space more marketable and valuable.

The side of the HSBC building will be begging for a large mural, if this remains the plan. Crying out, even.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 12:50 AM

So, they're ripping these beauties down and reassembling the facades, is that right? That makes me nervous...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 6:16 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
So, they're ripping these beauties down and reassembling the facades, is that right? That makes me nervous...
According to the Spec story:
The facades on the west side (18-22 King E) will be held in place by steel support beams while construction happens behind them. The one on the east end (28) will be dismantled with the facade reconstructed. The one in between (24) will be replicated, with the original cornice.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 6:20 PM
Ham-burgher

Unrelated, except that it's next door to this... a couple of months ago I set up some accounts with Scotiabank, and went into the main branch to finalize things. What a gorgeous interior! The shame of it is the cubicle farm that's past the teller desks in the south end of the building, but it's a really great space.

I wish it had been at the base of a larger old bank tower. It does somewhat evoke what one sees in the older buildings at King and Bay in Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 12:09 PM

A different article about the same. Posted June 22, 2021.

https://www.insauga.com/historic-gor...transformation

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 6:16 PM

Last edited by Pigeon; Aug 18, 2022 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Unrelated, except that it's next door to this... a couple of months ago I set up some accounts with Scotiabank, and went into the main branch to finalize things. What a gorgeous interior! The shame of it is the cubicle farm that's past the teller desks in the south end of the building, but it's a really great space.

I wish it had been at the base of a larger old bank tower. It does somewhat evoke what one sees in the older buildings at King and Bay in Toronto.
It is a beauty. Even its stark exterior is attractive in its own right.

I've always imagined it acting as a grand entrance/lobby to this project, allowing access to the units built behind the old Gore Park buildings.

Not a great fan of the alley proposal. It doesn't look right and I'm just not sure it's going to be an attractive destination. We'll see...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 12:14 PM

Site plan application filed for the project:

Quote:
Redevelop building into 6-storey office space, and underground parking with the heritage facade preserved.
Notably, this is the third site plan application listed for the site.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 12:03 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

On to its, what, 15th iteration now? 6 storeys with retention of heritage facades and a new urban laneway type space where #30 used to be.

Hopefully it actually happens this time.
YAWN.. I'll believe it when i see it.. Every time I went downtown I questioned what was going on here - I'd see lights on inside so it seems like they have been doing interior work at least all this time.. it's such a shame that the east end has been graffitied and is crumbling so much though..

that alley is just gonna become a haven for crackheads.. unless they really light it up.. and its not like the back area is very attractive - what exactly is this laneway going to lead to..?

I agree.. It's a missing tooth that needs to be filled. There should be NO empty spaces in any of these areas.. but I am sure in future it probably will be.

Beautiful render though.. I really hope it goes through. This strip so sorely deserves love. Personally id fence off that alley and make it cafe only accessible.

They got a looot of work to do to clean up the facade though.. and stone like that doesn't stay clean for long.. look at the royal connaught stone they cleaned before putting back up - already getting restained.. that stuff should get routinely sodablasted as much as one routinely cleans windows...

I do loove the hardwoord floors (or laminate) in the render though - they made it look very pretty for sure.. and I like how it feels like one entire building now. The modern top fits well with the ancient bottom.. I really think hamilton needs to do more of that - but with new construction - make an old facade bottom and top it with glass - some of our most beautiful remodelings have been that. Love the little cozy rooftop patio in the middle too.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 4:39 PM

Edit : Delete

Old Posted Nov 3, 2021, 7:47 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus83 View Post
Edit : Delete
aww I was hoping for an update

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
aww I was hoping for an update
Haha not one that I can see, but I'm certain work is happening at this location just the same, just with no photo to show for it. I'll do better next time!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton