HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 8:53 PM

While I wouldn't put too much in render where trees are usually added or removed for visual reasons, either to provide better visual of the development or added to make it seem more lively, the cross section plates show all the bump outs will be removed, so no room for trees most likely. I'd have honestly preferred complete removal of automobile lanes through this section so trees could be replanted. This is going to be useless to cars anyway. A more sad one is the park to the east where the mature trees are shown to be completely be destroyed by the Wellington stop. That would be a great little park beside the LRT stop with mature trees.

Mind you since those preliminary plates were designed there's been a lot of changes to minimum vehiclE lane widths in the OTM. That and these aren't an official engineering report. That has yet to be done by the consortium that wins the bidding process.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 9:02 PM

I know there has been a decent amount of adjustments to the design since the design plates were released in 2017. Those initial design plates showed a far higher amount of expropriation than what is actually occurring, for example. The tweaks are mostly minor though, modifying curve radii, lane widths, etc. to lower property impacts and maybe even save a few trees. We'll have to see how it's built, I find metrolinx rarely releases more detailed or updated plans than what the EA shows.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 10:19 PM
Ham-burgher

It's unfortunate, but the point about the roots is important -- and if those have to be cut to replace underground infrastructure the trees will die anyway.

More planters and hanging baskets would be a welcome adaptation. The city could even just add more poles for the latter between the street lamps, or create a program to encourage building owners to add them above the first floor.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 6:14 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It's unfortunate, but the point about the roots is important -- and if those have to be cut to replace underground infrastructure the trees will die anyway.

More planters and hanging baskets would be a welcome adaptation. The city could even just add more poles for the latter between the street lamps, or create a program to encourage building owners to add them above the first floor.
Ever tried to get permits to dig in oakville? You need to get a tree permit for every single tree lol..

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 6:15 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The rendering on the Metrolinx website for the LRT shows it through the international village with no replacement trees:

At least they are going for pavers throughout the right of way, which should lower vehicle speeds?
god they raped that long stretch of rowhouses - I wonder if anyone will ever fully restore all the pediments that have fallen off or been removed.. and maybe paint it all a uniform colour..

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 2:00 PM

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
god they raped that long stretch of rowhouses - I wonder if anyone will ever fully restore all the pediments that have fallen off or been removed.. and maybe paint it all a uniform colour..
Back in the 70's and 80's, most items that a pigeons could sit on where removed from these buildings. Then they all but one, where painted white. And they all started to look dirty, rundown and like crap really quickly.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 5:23 PM

From the MOU,

Quote:
In all aspects of the Project, including design and construction, Metrolinx will, or
will cause Project Co to, take all reasonable efforts to minimize impacts to trees
and parks and City lands. The Parties acknowledge that tree replacement or
compensation to the City in lieu thereof is, at minimum, in accordance with the
provisions set out in the City’s by-laws or standards applicable to tree
replacement. Metrolinx will consult with the City in accordance with the City’s bylaws
or standards applicable to a tree replacement plan prior to any tree removal, provided
that pending the determination of a replacement plan or compensation
in lieu thereof, Metrolinx may at its risk remove such trees as may be required to
facilitate construction of the Project. Nothing in this Section 10.13 derogates from
Metrolinx’s expropriation authority including with respect to trees owned by the
City or third parties.
Quote:
Metrolinx will pay for the repair or replacement of any and all roads, sidewalks
trees, parks, plants and streetscape generally damaged by the Project
(collectively, the “Streetscape”). Any such damaged Streetscape will be restored
or replaced on a like for like basis to a standard commensurate in cost with the
cost of repairing and replacing comparable streetscape in the vicinity of the
Project at the date of this Agreement, as agreed to by the City and Metrolinx,
acting reasonably during the Pre-Market or the In-Market Period in sufficient time
to enable it to be included in the PSOS (the “Streetscape Standard”). Any
upgrades from the Streetscape Standard requested by the City will constitute
Additional Infrastructure and be dealt with in accordance with the terms of this
Agreement applicable to Additional Infrastructure.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 9:15 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Back in the 70's and 80's, most items that a pigeons could sit on where removed from these buildings. Then they all but one, where painted white. And they all started to look dirty, rundown and like crap really quickly.
Yeah I remember when they were all painted white - the pediment stripping of hamilton was a crime for sure.. without pediments and cornices a lot of these buildings just look horribly plain..

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 12:20 PM

I almost bought in another school conversion loft, but I got talked out of it by a friend who used to live in one. Said he could hear everything his upstairs neighbours were doing.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2021, 6:19 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I almost bought in another school conversion loft, but I got talked out of it by a friend who used to live in one. Said he could hear everything his upstairs neighbours were doing.
Year there is literally just wood floorboards between levels

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 10:59 PM

Anybody know what's happening at Gage and Dunsmure? They demo'd the old warehouses on site and fenced up the lot

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 11:11 PM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Anybody know what's happening at Gage and Dunsmure? They demo'd the old warehouses on site and fenced up the lot
Lawson Lumber was torn down, and townhouses are going in its place. We have a thread for it... 276 Dunsmure Rd.?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Just a heads up, one reason I like the address being posted as the title (something I have yet to convince the mods is worthwhile) is it makes searching addresses on Google easy. Type in "260 Dunsmure Rd Hamilton skyscraper forum" into Google, and this will come up as the first hit: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=247920

Not trying to be condescending, legitimately trying to educate for your future ease, and to point out the benefit of keeping addresses in the thread.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2021, 11:55 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Just a heads up, one reason I like the address being posted as the title (something I have yet to convince the mods is worthwhile) is it makes searching addresses on Google easy. Type in "260 Dunsmure Rd Hamilton skyscraper forum" into Google, and this will come up as the first hit: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=247920

Not trying to be condescending, legitimately trying to educate for your future ease, and to point out the benefit of keeping addresses in the thread.
Yes this should be mandatory, addresses in thread title just makes so much sense!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 6:17 AM

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 7:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

Feel free to type the address for each thread and I'll update the title.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Feel free to type the address for each thread and I'll update the title.
This would be splendid. This is how urban Toronto does it, and it makes it much easier to use Google to find threads back, or CTRL-F a page or two in on this forum.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 1:48 PM

November building permits data is up. $90.21 Million in permits issued in November.

YTD permit value now stands at $2.018 billion, past 12 months at $2.128 billion.

ICI (industrial, commercial institutional) permit values are up 77% over the 3-year average, while residential permit value is up 50%.

Major permits (over $1 million in value) include:

$3.63m - 7 Queen St N Hotel (New Vranich Hotel and King/Queen)

$1.95m - 50 Aeropark Boulevard Alteration (Amazon Warehouse fitout?)

$1.3m - 291 Lodor St "Clubs, non-residential" (proponent is City of Hamilton, it appears to be work at Village Green Park in Ancaster)

So not a ton of large permits this month, mostly smaller items like houses, additions, renovations, etc.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 1:00 AM

A couple of thoughts

1. Landmark place has installed a single row of Christmas lights at the top of their building and even though it's simple (half assed lol) and uninspired it draws your eyes upwards and let's you imagine what could be if other buildings were properly lit up at night in downtown Hamilton

2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think LIUNA's new building at 34 James will be Hamilton's first all glass curtain wall condo tower ... it will be nice to see finally....without at the horrible faux brick and stucco painted panels

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton