HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
None of this has reached that point yet.

From a June 9 Spec story:
The city only recently finalized its agreement with development consortium Waterfront Shores, a process that was delayed in part by a long-running tribunal appeal by North End residents over the planned pier makeover.

The consortium hopes to launch presales and provide more project information this fall, said Joe Valela, a principal with consortium partner Tercot Communities. Visible condo construction is likely still a year or two away.

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...struction.html

Waterfront Shores won the right to develop it based on their plan, but I would think they still have to go through the approval process for the individual buildings they proposed.
Thanks for the above, if I were WS I think I would guage interest in getting pre sales going. Maybe that means September, but fully believe that absorption rate of 300-400 units per year very possible, shortening build out to 4-5 years (plus 18 months to get the first building up).

Also agree that some coffee shop / pastry place at or near the east end of the boardwalk would be a welcome add

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
plus 18 months to get the first building up
I think we're looking at a minimum of 2 years per building, from excavation / underground works to occupancy. As stated, this is going to be a 10-15 year build at the least, based on other similar projects in the region.

Toronto's Canary district is a good reference with the first buildings being completed for the Pan Am games - they've still yet to file SPA for the final block (block 13) and buildings are still under construction.

Canary Block, a modest 12 story building began shoring in November 2017, and received final occupancy in 2020.

I would also compare this to Brightwater in Port Credit - they've sold 2 buildings so far, with a third (The Mason) just launching marketing, as well as the Brightwater towns which I believe are currently selling. Projects like this are long haul and are very dictated by the market and what the developer thinks is the best strategy.

Hopefully, similarly to Canary District, some of the vacant lots awaiting development can be used for temporary greenspace.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 1:09 AM
Forever forward.

Some cell phone pictures taken on this humid and cloudy Wednesday.

I have some... thoughts... about how the public realm, landscaping, and urban design is shaping up but I'll save those until they re-open the water's edge and I can properly have a look and grab some better photos.

Also, does anyone happen to know if/what the temporary fill for the development blocks is going to look like? They really ought to be graded and sodded and not left like this if they're going to be developed over a long time period:

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 7:39 PM

Last edited by davidcappi; Aug 27, 2021 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 9:08 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlanholmes View Post
Also, does anyone happen to know if/what the temporary fill for the development blocks is going to look like? They really ought to be graded and sodded and not left like this if they're going to be developed over a long time period:
I agree. At least the blocks slated for later development.

That space can be useful until buildout.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 12:11 PM
Burger Connoisseur

I had an up-close look from some of the same vantages Lachlan was at in these photos, and I think the quality is top notch. This will be a beautiful and very popular new waterfront destination. I can't wait to relax on those beach loungers or enjoy a concert at that the new music stage (how long before Burlington residents complain about the noise again?).

It's just a shame the rest of the housing and commercial development will lag by a few years and be an eyesore in the meantime. There will be many days where the noise and dust from all the construction will make it hard to truly enjoy this new waterfront park until it's all complete.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 8:47 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but there's a clear look at what the city lists as "land for sale" on their website: https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/defaul...infosheet1.pdf

It covers everything from Piers 5-7, and appears that all the plans thusfar are just promotion from the city of "whats possible" (thank goodness, because I was never a big fan of those renders). The actual land available is quite limited, so we could foresee taller buildings closer to that 45 storey building proposed at Pier 8. Maybe an assortment of 15-20 floor towers.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but there's a clear look at what the city lists as "land for sale" on their website: https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/defaul...infosheet1.pdf

It covers everything from Piers 5-7, and appears that all the plans thusfar are just promotion from the city of "whats possible" (thank goodness, because I was never a big fan of those renders). The actual land available is quite limited, so we could foresee taller buildings closer to that 45 storey building proposed at Pier 8. Maybe an assortment of 15-20 floor towers.
The city will never let towers go here. Thankfully for all the idiocy at City Hall, Hamilton has learned from the mistakes of other cities letting towers overshadow and oppress their waterfront. It's more likely that we'll see something similar to the renders in scale, but a slightly better design.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 12:48 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
The city will never let towers go here. Thankfully for all the idiocy at City Hall, Hamilton has learned from the mistakes of other cities letting towers overshadow and oppress their waterfront. It's more likely that we'll see something similar to the renders in scale, but a slightly better design.
The west harbour is probably the only big thing that successive city councils have gotten right. And that's saying something, given that about three decades of decision-making has happened to make it what it is and what it will become.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The west harbour is probably the only big thing that successive city councils have gotten right. And that's saying something, given that about three decades of decision-making has happened to make it what it is and what it will become.
I agree that West Harbour as it exists and what it will become is actually a fantastic development for the city. I was moreso accomodating for my belief that there is rising pressure to build near Harbour GO. I especially see that moving beyond current projects as well with the potential for a future LRT line someday.

The existing waterfront is undeniably the best mix of height-density we could have asked for, and going taller nearby in retrospect is pointless (this also applies to anything the city themselves propose there....). West Harbour might ideally spawn a myriad of new, similar projects around it instead, which the city has/should be prepared for. However, we all know that there will continue to be heavy developer pressure to bring in taller buildings further away from downtown, in all directions.

To revise my original "proposal", what's the harm in reducing the height to ~15 stories? Buildings of that height already exist along the waterfront and wouldn't necessarily stand out as much once West Harbour is complete either. I'd be curious to see what projects in the midrise range are proposed/constructed in the coming years.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
I was moreso accomodating for my belief that there is rising pressure to build near Harbour GO.
Ask council why they have then straight up rejected or at the very least made it extremely difficult for two developments within 10m of the West Harbour GO station to get going.

This council has done no good for this city in recent times. They do nothing but stifle any progress.

282 Macnab
Harbour Condos

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 8:59 PM

Crews have recently planted several hundred new 12 foot? trees at bay front park. 29 to 30 years and they will make a good shady canopy for one of our finest parks. The large open area is still open.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 6:09 PM

Civic Plan - Has this info for the public. I'm sure there are better detailed specs of this somewhere.

https://civicplan.ca/projects/planlo...shermans-pier/

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 6:23 PM
Ham-burgher

2023 start is expected. I imagine we'll be able to have threads once the site plan application goes to the city and sales begin.

Long-awaited condo construction on Hamilton’s Pier 8 will start next year
Presale of the long-planned waterfront condo units on the city-owned pier could begin this fall, with a sales showroom planned for the empty Discovery Centre.

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...t-harbour.html

Matthew Van Dongen
The Hamilton Spectator
Thu., Jan. 20, 2022

Construction on a new 1,500-home harbourfront neighbourhood is still at least a year away — but you might be able to put money down on a Pier 8 condo as early as the fall.

Council voted to partner with consortium Waterfront Shores in 2018 to redevelop the city-owned former industrial pier into 1,500 condo apartments and townhouses, including 65 affordable units overseen by Habitat for Humanity.

Planning appeals, development agreement negotiations and the COVID pandemic slowed progress on the build, even as the city installed underground infrastructure and unnamed streets in the neighbourhood-to-be.

The consortium has a project website that promises more information is “coming soon,” but otherwise provides few development details other than unit prices will start at $500,000.

Joe Valela, president of consortium partner Tercot Communities, said via email the project is moving ahead. “We anticipate sales to begin later this year in fall 2022, and construction is planned to begin next year, in 2023,” he said.

That’s part of the reason a city subcommittee recently recommended allowing Waterfront Shores to use the empty former Sarcoa restaurant on Pier 8 as a temporary sales “showroom.”

City waterfront project lead, Chris Phillips, said the next step for the builders is to submit a site plan application. The developers expect to build out several blocks on the five-hectare pier over time.

The original development design accounted for a default eight-storey height limit — but the final look of the area could still change dramatically.

That’s because an appeal of the development was settled in late 2019 with an agreement by the city to at least consider a tall building on the pier next to the former Discovery Centre in order to allow more family units in the development.

Full story here

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 2:29 PM
Ham-burgher

The old Valley Inn Bridge is no more. Due to be replaced this spring, just in time for the Around the Bay race (hopefully!)

https://www.thespec.com/photos/2022/...one-creek.html

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 2:34 PM

excited to finally see the condos at Pier 8 move forward to construction. It's a shame it's taking so long.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 6:25 PM
Concerned Citizen

My grandparents place was up on the hill overlooking this. I remember when they put that in. I watched them. I was just a little guy not even in school yet. Aldershot was part of Hamilton back then. My grandparents used to babysit me when my parents were at work. They didn't have daycare in those days.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 3:50 PM
Ham-burgher

Feds transfer ownership of Beach Canal Lighthouse to port authority
The lighthouse was recently designated by Parks Canada under the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act.

John Rennison
The Hamilton Spectator
Fri., Jan. 28, 2022

https://www.thespec.com/photos/2022/...authority.html

The Beach Canal Lighthouse and keeper’s cottage is being transferred to local ownership for preservation. The lighthouse will be moved.

The agreement to transfer the historic landmark to the Hamilton Oshawa Port Authority (HOPA) was announced Friday by Fisheries and Oceans Canada. The lighthouse was recently designated by Parks Canada under the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act.

HOPA ports with community partner Beach Canal Lighthouse Group, intends to reposition the lighthouse onto port authority property allowing a restoration of both and creation of access for the public.

Full story here

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 7:54 PM
It's a nickname from work

Beach strip museum
Beach strip museum
Beach strip museum!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 8:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

Video Link

Check out 2:15 mark, to see the new plans for the Fisherman's Pier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues