HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Possibly, but even $20M seems low.

I also expect debate about having a "signature" structure. The Burgoyne replacement in St. Catharines ended up costing ~$100 million... I don't think something that elaborate is necessary, but we all know how politicians want to make their mark.
The Longwood bridge is thankfully a fraction of the size of the St. Catherines bridge, about 1/3 the length - ~100m vs. over 300m.

A simple, utilitarian bridge is likely looking at a cost of $20-30 million. Adding another $5-10 million to do something "signature" may be worth it here. It would be neat to replace it with a single-span structure with no piers in the ravine. Perhaps through an arch-structure like St. Catharines or a small Cable-Stay structure or something.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 7:30 PM

I love the comments on these articles.

Vehicle victim statements, LRT bottomless pit, two-way conversion, improving roads.

I get there's a lot of economically inept councilors out there, but wow, not sure how you get improvements without raising taxes, building the LRT and new builds.

The problem is in the past.

Either way I'm still debating running next time. There's no measurables with people in city hall.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
I love the comments on these articles.

Vehicle victim statements, LRT bottomless pit, two-way conversion, improving roads.

I get there's a lot of economically inept councilors out there, but wow, not sure how you get improvements without raising taxes, building the LRT and new builds.

The problem is in the past.

Either way I'm still debating running next time. There's no measurables with people in city hall.
Hopefully in Cameron's ward. That guy needs to be removed from office ASAP.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 7:59 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The Longwood bridge is thankfully a fraction of the size of the St. Catherines bridge, about 1/3 the length - ~100m vs. over 300m.
Yes, much smaller.

It'll be interesting to see what the costs will be like... the new Bourgoyne Bridge went up from an estimate of $59 million in 2010.

I can understand why Metrolinx decided to alter the route over the 403. It'll still be costly for the province to change the 403/Main ramp configurations and do whatever may be needed to beef up the Main St. bridge over the highway, but perhaps that provides more cost certainty (and savings) than the two new bridges under the original plan.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 9:19 PM

the big savings from Metrolinx on using Main St are having to build the dedicated LRT flyover which was previously proposed. The reroute probably saves them ~$50-100 million between Longwood and the flyover.

Of course Longwood needs to be done regardless, so it saves less on that front.. but still.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 10:33 PM

I believe Metrolinx will build their own separate LRT bridge across the 403 at Longwood Road. This will be cheaper than paying for a new Longwood Road bridge with a 4 to 5 lane road with bike lanes, sidewalks and LRT.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 10:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
I believe Metrolinx will build their own separate LRT bridge across the 403 at Longwood Road. This will be cheaper than paying for a new Longwood Road bridge with a 4 to 5 lane road with bike lanes, sidewalks and LRT.
I think the new plan is to use Frid St. No bridge needed.

The Longwood bridge will still need to be replaced, but now Metrolinx can take it off the capital cost of the LRT, and leave the city to negotiate separately with the province/MTO (and maybe the feds too)

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The Longwood bridge will still need to be replaced, but now Metrolinx can take it off the capital cost of the LRT, and leave the city to negotiate separately with the province/MTO (and maybe the feds too)
There are rumblings about a widening of the 403 underneath the bridge, so the city is probably already counting on a contribution from the MTO.
I'm curious to see what changes will be made to the 403/Main interchange as a result of the reroute.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
There are rumblings about a widening of the 403 underneath the bridge, so the city is probably already counting on a contribution from the MTO.
I'm curious to see what changes will be made to the 403/Main interchange as a result of the reroute.
MTO definitely has long term plans for it, but I really don't think it'll be soon. Likely not for another decade or so at least.

Right now their first job is widening the 403 through Aldershot to York Boulevard. They just finished the Environmental Assessment for that, but don't yet have funding for it.

The PCs haven't announced any major road spending for a while now either, so I'm expecting some new funding announcements soon. I'm hopeful Hamilton will see some new money for the provincial highway network as it's become an epicentre for congestion on the provincial freeway network lately and hasn't seen any investment in additional capacity since the QEW was widened in Stoney Creek in the mid 00's.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

A simple, utilitarian bridge is likely looking at a cost of $20-30 million. Adding another $5-10 million to do something "signature" may be worth it here. It would be neat to replace it with a single-span structure with no piers in the ravine. Perhaps through an arch-structure like St. Catharines or a small Cable-Stay structure or something.
The steel for Burgoyne was fabricated here in Hamilton. Using a local firm would look good on council.

https://www.waltersgroupinc.com/proj...ugoyne-bridge/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:13 PM

Our pedestrian bridge over the QEW is no longer lit up at night ... not that it was lit nicely even when it was lit. but what happened to the lights ??

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure