HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
-National Apparel is coming to the old Jack Wills spot at 1617 Walnut. No longer Nike. Nike is in negotiations to lease another spot?
What is "National Apparel"?

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
What is "National Apparel"?
I assumed it was this:
https://www.shopnational.com/brands/...hoCNrcQAvD_BwE

However, they could've meant a "nationwide apparel brand?" and I just misunderstood?

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:48 PM

Summers’s confirmation about LV indicates that it’s mention on the proposed retail map I posted a few weeks ago appears to be more than just an embellishment. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s accurate, considering how far the area has evolved within the last decade. It aligns with the argument I was making last year that given the high concentration of wealth in Rittenhouse which includes new luxury residential like The LaurelArthaus etc, several high end hotels and expensive dining, it would be ridiculous to assume that these kinds of retailers wouldn’t start taking notice. And I just don’t buy the argument that “Philadelphians care more about experiences and off the rack apparel”. Plus, Rittenhouse is really starting to become a regional destination and it’s becoming pretty well known nationally. It probably will never be able to fully eclipse KOP, but I think it’s starting to compete more for their customer base. I suspect someone from the Main Line would visit Rittenhouse more often than a Rittenhouse resident making the trek to KOP.

Last edited by skyhigh07; May 31, 2023 at 3:40 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 7:53 PM

Quote:
I assumed it was this:

However, they could've meant a "nationwide apparel brand?" and I just misunderstood?
I hope it isn’t… Looks more like a discount apparel catalogue. I assume they mean “a yet to be named national apparel brand”.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 1:17 AM

Quote:
I assumed it was this:

Hey Summers, was wondering if you’ve heard any specifics on Louis Vuitton? It was included on a recent retail marketing map but some of us had discussed it could have been in error. That would be pretty significant if true.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 1:25 PM

The thing people forget is that Louis Vuitton now owns Tiffany. So while we very often don't give ourselves credit, LV itself has insights from the Tiffany location on Walnut that it previously did not have. Perhaps business is better than we realize or there is compelling consumer and traffic information that we don't have.

Aside from all the visitors, income and population numbers in Center City and its environs are very very high by any standard and among the best in the country for urban zipcodes, probably higher than all but the obvious candidates in NY, SF, Boston, etc.

Companies can only ignore that for so long. If Lisbon Portugal can support a LV (a country where incomes are a fraction of Philadelphia's) then so can we.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 1:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

Is American Apparel rebooting?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 2:00 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
The thing people forget is that Louis Vuitton now owns Tiffany. So while we very often don't give ourselves credit, LV itself has insights from the Tiffany location on Walnut that it previously did not have. Perhaps business is better than we realize or there is compelling consumer and traffic information that we don't have.

Aside from all the visitors, income and population numbers in Center City and its environs are very very high by any standard and among the best in the country for urban zipcodes, probably higher than all but the obvious candidates in NY, SF, Boston, etc.

Companies can only ignore that for so long. If Lisbon Portugal can support a LV (a country where incomes are a fraction of Philadelphia's) then so can we.
I think LV would do well in Center City because its a luxury brand with a huge following.

My confusion is the location. It's a small mid-block storefront. LV usually opens in large prominent corner spaces.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

100% agree on all of that

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 6:39 PM
Chris

I guess this means the planned renovation will happen soon. A renovation similar to Dilworth would be fantastic. The last link is the barren plaza between the Penn Center Buildings across from City Hall.

An elegy for the giant game pieces outside Philly’s Municipal Services Building
https://www.inquirer.com/news/game-p...xN9ykU_M1OjZDk

The reasons cited range from impending renovations of the plaza to poor condition of the art

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 7:10 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Not really. They’re online only now.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 7:24 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I guess this means the planned renovation will happen soon. A renovation similar to Dilworth would be fantastic. The last link is the barren plaza between the Penn Center Buildings across from City Hall.

An elegy for the giant game pieces outside Philly’s Municipal Services Building
https://www.inquirer.com/news/game-p...xN9ykU_M1OjZDk

The reasons cited range from impending renovations of the plaza to poor condition of the art
I could have sworn the pervious proposal called for the addition of commercial spaces under that over hang.

Did the plans change or am I mistaken?

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 9:15 PM

You're not wrong. I remember there being a dual layer restaurant in the redesign. Here's an old rendering I found:

Whatever they do, it can't just be a park space with benches. This area already has too much park space without a lot of residents actually living there. In the winter it becomes desolate and a haven for homeless activity. I'd love to see it have a real use like an amphitheater performance space, dog park, playground and permanent skate park. The area now has become a big skate area (RIP Love Park) so why not double down on that. Skaters come out regardless of weather too.

Here is an old photo of the space with a stage:

https://whyy.org/articles/may-4-how-...crowd-control/

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 10:23 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
You're not wrong. I remember there being a dual layer restaurant in the redesign. Here's an old rendering I found:

Whatever they do, it can't just be a park space with benches. This area already has too much park space without a lot of residents actually living there. In the winter it becomes desolate and a haven for homeless activity. I'd love to see it have a real use like an amphitheater performance space, dog park, playground and permanent skate park. The area now has become a big skate area (RIP Love Park) so why not double down on that. Skaters come out regardless of weather too.

I assume the cities failure to find a tenant for the saucer is probably what made them take that element out.

I do agree with you they should add some type of usable space that brings people out such as the amphitheater or a mix of lil shops or something to make it more then a dead zone.

And they should 100% create a space for the skaters, no reason to not include them because they do add a great element to the city & the area.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post

Don’t know how practical it is, but I would absolutely love a dog park. I live in the area and would use it all the time

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 11:40 PM
Philly Pholly

I would love to see a plan of what's happening below these plazas.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I found an American Apparel tank top at the Dollar Tree recently lol

From what I know they changed their name to Los Angeles Apparel

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relnahe View Post
I found an American Apparel tank top at the Dollar Tree recently lol

From what I know they changed their name to Los Angeles Apparel
Gildan bought American Apparel, it's basically just an inexpensive clothing label like Gildan now.

The founder of American Apparel more recently created Los Angeles Apparel, I believe he is still involved in that company.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 12:37 PM

Has anyone heard about the former Marshall's location on Market? Or the vacant H&M spot on Chestnut? Both of these were rumored to have potential new tenants when closed and I haven't heard anything since.

I wish Zara would come back and take the old H&M spot, there's no way they wouldn't do well.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 1:10 PM
build awesome buildings

Northbank updates, along with plans for trail connectivity in the area. These trails would be an absolutely massive win for anyone who lives there, as it is still cut off from the rest of the neighborhood.

Northbank on to Phase 2 as the New Neighborhood Comes into Form

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development