HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
we're already gone through this.

they just need to convert the existing regional rail to a more rapid system and let people pay subway fare as opposed to regional rail fair.

if the CH East, CH West, and Norristown lines had reduced headway times and had trains availabe every 10 minutes or so, charging only subway fares within the city...they'd be packed.
While I certainly agree with the CHE/W lines, the Norristown line is not built for that kind of service, especially with the looming extension to Phoenixville & beyond (albeit barring unforeseen circumstances). Again, ignoring cost and engineering challenges, the best solution would be to run a subway from CC up Henry Ave, and close every station on the Manayunk/Norristown line from North Broad to East Falls.

You also need to consider farebox ratios. The Airport Line would certainly benefit from added service, no? Unfortunately, despite its short length, the need for Amtrak dispatching means that the cost to operate literally does not allow for added service. This is why it is Zone 4, despite being so close to CC. Would the CHE/W lines support added service? Running 2 or 3 man crews is much more expensive than, say, a one man operated subway.

I suppose that's the whole reason they're adopting the Key, but at the end of the day subways will always yield better farebox ratios.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:45 PM

^^^ yeah, I think (from what I've read) the original plan was to have 10-15 minute headways on all the electrified lines once they dropped deisel, but it never happened. At least the ones you mentioned should be doing that. I think think there was also something called the swampoodle connector that was supposed to put CHW on the reading line instead of the NEC, which causes conflicts with amtrak train schedules. That was never built either.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
^^^ yeah, I think (from what I've read) the original plan was to have 10-15 minute headways on all the electrified lines once they dropped deisel, but it never happened. At least the ones you mentioned should be doing that. I think think there was also something called the swampoodle connector that was supposed to put CHW on the reading line instead of the NEC, which causes conflicts with amtrak train schedules. That was never built either.
Yes, the Swampoodle Connection was a proposed connecting track between the CHW line and the SEPTA Mainline at North Broad. If it'd been put in place, it would have allowed for much faster headways and better farebox ratios on the CHW line. A reverse Swampoodle has also been proposed to allow diesel service to travel from 30th Street to the SEPTA Mainline, but that has also gone nowhere.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
While I certainly agree with the CHE/W lines, the Norristown line is not built for that kind of service, especially with the looming extension to Phoenixville & beyond (albeit barring unforeseen circumstances). Again, ignoring cost and engineering challenges, the best solution would be to run a subway from CC up Henry Ave, and close every station on the Manayunk/Norristown line from North Broad to East Falls.

You also need to consider farebox ratios. The Airport Line would certainly benefit from added service, no? Unfortunately, despite its short length, the need for Amtrak dispatching means that the cost to operate literally does not allow for added service. This is why it is Zone 4, despite being so close to CC. Would the CHE/W lines support added service? Running 2 or 3 man crews is much more expensive than, say, a one man operated subway.

I suppose that's the whole reason they're adopting the Key, but at the end of the day subways will always yield better farebox ratios.
Could there be certain trains that originate in Manayunk on the Norristown line with all the rest continue to originate at the origin? This could be used to mimic 10 min headways.

Regardless of the answer, if you originate within city limits should be a subway fare, regardless of the frequency of the service.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Could there be certain trains that originate in Manayunk on the Norristown line with all the rest continue to originate at the origin? This could be used to mimic 10 min headways.

Regardless of the answer, if you originate within city limits should be a subway fare, regardless of the frequency of the service.
No. Space is incredibly limited at Manayunk, and to even fit a crossover there would take some doing. No sidings are possible unless you consider evicting the Schuylkill River Trail and take the PRR ROW back.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
No. Space is incredibly limited at Manayunk, and to even fit a crossover there would take some doing. No sidings are possible unless you consider evicting the Schuylkill River Trail and take the PRR ROW back.
They added a siding at Miquon, 2 stops up. Three AM trains originate from there, while two Norristown originating trains express from Miquon and Ivy Ridge. Manyunk has 7 trains to CC between 7:25am and 9:09...not bad in my book

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
They added a siding at Miquon, 2 stops up. Three AM trains originate from there, while two Norristown originating trains express from Miquon and Ivy Ridge. Manyunk has 7 trains to CC between 7:25am and 9:09...not bad in my book
You're right! I forgot about Miquon. Miquon is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so it escaped my mind.

The siding can only support a single train of four SLIVs, IIRC. They may have expanded it since I've been there.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:24 AM
Midrise

Quote:
You're right! I forgot about Miquon. Miquon is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so it escaped my mind.

The siding can only support a single train of four SLIVs, IIRC. They may have expanded it since I've been there.
I think the Miquon siding can hold 6 cars. I'm pretty sure I saw trains of that length on it when I used to pass there.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 6:19 PM

1985, 1987, 1990 and (possibly) 2025

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 6:40 PM

^ Amazing. Great job!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 10:41 PM

Just a random thought, but it's good seeing the Inquirer Building clock tower restored.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2020, 1:49 AM

There's a short article in the inqy about Blatstein's Broad & Washington project. Completely revamped, still "big", with a Giant as an anchor tenant on the first phase (of 5?).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
There's a short article in the inqy about Blatstein's Broad & Washington project. Completely revamped, still "big", with a Giant as an anchor tenant on the first phase (of 5?).
Wow, a lot of grocery stores coming online in Greater CC. There's already a large Target and Sprouts Market across the street. In about a year, there will be a new Aldi at 22nd and Washington, which isn't that far from the new Heirloom Market at 23rd and Bainbridge, which isn't that far from the South Square Market at 23rd and South, which really isn't that far from the TJs at 22nd and Market and won't be that far from the "flagship" Giant coming online at 23rd and Arch. If signing grocery stores as large anchor tenants can get projects off the ground sooner, I'm all for it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 4:38 PM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 5:08 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Great Job TK on resolution and size of your image! Keep this up. A lot of us do appreciate your contributions. Also, by doing this you help maintain your audience on this forum...that's a great goal to have.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 5:50 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about!!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 5:56 PM

nice picture size!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 7:43 PM

I know this is highly off topic, but does anyone else miss 1487? I know he got banned for a reason but I enjoyed (most of) his contributions to the forums.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 8:05 PM

Thank you for the great update TK2001! I get that it probably takes longer to edit the size of your photos for this forum, but I really do appreciate you taking the time.

Quote:
I know this is highly off topic, but does anyone else miss 1487? I know he got banned for a reason but I enjoyed (most of) his contributions to the forums.
I wouldn't worry, I get the feeling he's never too far away.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 9:51 PM

Great picture! Much appreciated!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations