HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 5:20 PM

I can see WFH really taking hold in big liberal cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. It'll be interesting to see if smaller, more conservative cities like Winnipeg join in.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:07 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
I can confirm the same about Richardson's anti-WFH policy. It's actually almost comical how adamant they are against anyone who even asks about options. They won't even allow split-time options or manager discretion. The morale in the head office in multiple departments is at a real low and the upper management doesn't give two shits. The funny thing is that there are whole departments that have been outfitted with laptops in the last year almost like they're teasing the employees. If these weren't high paying jobs with great pensions I could definitely see a "not my Richardson's" happening from the stories I hear first hand.
The Richardson's are a smart family . They have a 33-34 storey office building that needs to be in use because they pay property and business taxes and the utility bills (heat, water) on it.

They cannot afford to make 1 Lombard Pl. empty.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
The Richardson's are a smart family . They have a 33-34 storey office building that needs to be in use because they pay property and business taxes and the utility bills (heat, water) on it.

They make no more or less money if their workers are there or at home.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:19 PM

Quote:

Whether 1 Lombard is full or vacant has no affect on the company. The costs to run the building are fixed, full or empty. Employee's who WFH do not necessarily impose new costs on the company. As long as they continue to provide the same level of productivity then there is no fiscal imposition to them.

It would feel unfortunate to have a sunk cost you are no longer using but it wouldn't mean they are less profitable. If anything it would provide them with an opportunity to either sell the asset or use the asset to generate income through leasing.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
She’s a cancer survivor so a compromised immune system and her husband is under going cancer treatment now.
My family is facing a similar situation as my father is undergoing chemo right now.
People are so quick to jump to conclusions about covid measures and call us sheep, scared and full of fear but don’t manage to come even close to understanding how difficult these times have been for households like mine.
We are having to make really tough decisions around work, school and overall quality of life and the support of our workplaces has been absolutely essential in allowing us to get through this as best we can. We’ve been lucky tho in the big scheme of things and I pray for people like this lady you’re talking about and her husband to make it out okay.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
WFH is a perk, that may or may not be available at some companies.

It's become a sort of necessity during COVID times, but I think we are all fooling ourselves if we think it's going to result in some ground shift of people gaining the choice to work from home or the office at their discretion.

In our office, you only work from home if that is what is required (health, COVID related child care, special circumstances). Otherwise park your butt at your desk. Please and thank you.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I don't have the option at my work either even though I am technically able to. The difference with the Richardson situation (sorry if I'm taking this thread off topic) is that they have meaningfully and purposefully tightened up the perk of being able to WFH and taken away the flexibility that the managers previously had to use their discretion on a case by case basis. I am fully aware that Richardsons have the final say as the employer to grant these perks, but to actually limit and in some cases take away these options when government, health departments, and society in general are encouraging people to work from home when possible is mind boggling. No leeway for daycare issues (lean on your personal network), taking care of sick family or being sick yourself (use your sick time or vacation time), no extra social distancing measures at the office (cubicles filled to same capacity as pre-covid), etc.... This was throughout the shutdown in the Spring too when the only people working downtown seemed to be at the Richardson building.

Yes WFH is a perk, and one that was well used before Covid. To take that away and threaten punishment for people who try to get around their new policy (they literally said they're going to be watching and there would be consequences) is at minimum bad for morale even if its allowed.

Sorry again for going off-topic. This little rant has been percolating for months.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:09 PM

That sounds pretty draconian. And here I thought Richardson was the gilded country club of Winnipeg workplaces?!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:28 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
Yes WFH is a perk, and one that was well used before Covid. To take that away and threaten punishment for people who try to get around their new policy (they literally said they're going to be watching and there would be consequences) is at minimum bad for morale even if its allowed.
Oh, is that so? Is that why, in my observations since about 2008-ish, that the number of office workers walking thru Winnipeg Sq. have been fewer and shifted more towards foreign students?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
I for one hate being at home, I'm way less productive. I'm sure there will be more but I don't see a permanent mass exodus from the office.
I think the right call is a percentage of work from home as a target. It allows you to accommodate those that prefer it (letting the company claim a positive work/life balance) as well as helps protect you from pandemics or just general sicknesses that run through a department.

Gives a company more office and parking space, cuts down on car emissions etc. Seems like a win win. Offer it up and see who prefers it. No sense in forcing people to work from home. Employees have to have a suitable space too.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 7:16 PM

Sooo many columns!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 9:59 PM

Way to column as you see em

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Way to column as you see em

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:47 PM

Concrete, anyone?
Coming along on the south side. Should be able to start going hard on the north side soon.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Oh, is that so? Is that why, in my observations since about 2008-ish, that the number of office workers walking thru Winnipeg Sq. have been fewer and shifted more towards foreign students?
I'm confused how you can tell if someone is an office worker vs a student, and how you can tell if someone is a foreigner.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 9:18 PM

My old roommate circa 2016 was a foreign student/office worker employed by Richardson's while also working to get his CPA. Maybe that's who he's speaking of?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 9:19 PM

His name is Vishal and a really nice guy.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 9:52 PM

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
That seems a little rash considering the Sutton Place won't be opening its doors for at least another year or two by which point the hotel industry should be getting back on track...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 11:26 PM

Sutton is scheduled for completion July 2023, little premature to speculate on it’s demise.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Sutton is scheduled for completion July 2023, little premature to speculate on it’s demise.
Can I interest you in two apartment buildings instead of one mmm?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan