HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Because of my opinion on the Trillium Line, you assume this. But just remember, that you already have to transfer to get on the Trillium Line in the first place with only a small number of exceptions. All I want is to be able to reach downtown with one transfer during all time periods. The Trillium Line as planned will not deliver that to most south end residents. I do not think what I am asking for is unreasonable.

I want the Trillium Line to be a big success and as I pointed out, it is not going to be competitive. So how will it ever move beyond being just a secondary transit line with modest ridership?

We have already seen the situation with Rapibus and the gradual return of Express routes because of the lousy service being delivered by Rapibus in its original configuration. Given the fact that almost everybody will be forced to transfer onto the Confederation Line, how is this not the same scenario that Rapibus created? The Confederation Line does not remotely serve the south sector of the city, yet we will be required to transfer onto the most crowded segment of the route. I can really foresee the same situation that occurred with Rapibus happening and pressure being placed on the city and the transit commission to resume some direct services into downtown, especially from the south end of the city.

Also, what city of 1,000,000+ creates a single route transit system through downtown as their long-term plan? Other than Ottawa, none of the five biggest cities in Canada are doing this and yet, we have really made no allowances for interprovincial transit at all in our rapid transit plans either. We say, we can't interline yet many cities do so including a much bigger city, San Francisco. We say we can't build a second line into downtown because we cannot look beyond 100% grade separation.

I am looking for what is best for the overall city. I am also looking towards a vibrant Ottawa downtown in the future. The meeting place for Ottawa residents. We are not creating a scenario where that is possible. As I have said, I just returned from Europe and what I saw there for cities bigger and smaller than Ottawa was the number of transit lines that entered the centre of the cities. Whether tramways or subways or whatever, the coverage of direct lines into the city centre was substantial. These cities are not afraid of interlining, often 5 tram routes sharing the same track. No, you don't always get single seat rides, but at least you are limiting the number of transfers.

The Confederation Line is a big step forward for Ottawa, a necessary one, but it is not the end answer towards reversing the decline of downtown Ottawa over the last 50 years. The coverage of the Confederation Line is going to be far too small and most people will not travel downtown if it requires multiple transfers at 10:00 p.m. when connecting routes only run every 30 minutes or 60 minutes. You just have to look at Canada Day or even Red Black Games. Transit is very successful under those conditions because direct service runs to many locations in the city. No, I am not suggesting direct service to every neighbourhood, but it should be much easier to get downtown than what we are planning.
I bolded some talking points, but will talk about them in no particular order.

I certainly don't think the Confederation line is perfect. If I were dictator, I would be using higher capacity vehicles, running the western part under Richmond among other things (probably bankrupting the city in the process). I do think that at some point there will be a need for another line to relieve this one, maybe on Montreal road. These vehicles are a bit small for a trunk line, even though train lengths and frequencies will make a difference.

IMO, transit should not just be about getting people to work, but also to where people want to go. Travel in Europe has made me appreciate getting a day pass and being able to see anything in the city just by taking the subway. This is why I think it would be an epic fail if the Trillium line does not go to the airport.

Anyways, along with this, we need at least some grade separated transit, especially downtown. This is what we're getting now. For the Confederation line, being on the surface downtown would defeat the purpose of the whole line.

The Confederation line was a NECESSARY venture, and I'm not sure if everyone really understands that. Would it be nice to have a spider web of rail transit that services every area of the city and connects to downtown? Yes! But the city for whatever reason doesn't have the money. And so we have to build it in pieces. The first piece is the Confederation line. And this piece is an expensive one that will use up the city's money for many years. But it's still worth it, because the confederation line is the most important part of the system, and we need it in order to have a system to add to.

People say "Oh, it only serves whatever percent of the city!" "it's useless!" But we can't wave a magic wand so that rapid transit will appear everywhere. you need to start somewhere so that you can build on it. Of course a city of 1,000,000 could have more than one line. But we only have money for one line. The rest has to come later. If you insist on something perfect, you will get nothing (unless an Olympics or World Cup come to Ottawa and we get lots of $$ )

Your comparison to the Rapidbus I've never thought about. It could pan out that way, but probably won't. There will need to be some busses, since the queen alignment misses a bit of employment.

But, considering it's Ottawa, we're getting it pretty good (that phrase describes pretty much everything in the city lol). We now will have rail rapid transit that connects downtown offices, the major hotels, the train station, all of the major malls, all major universities, Algonquin College, river access, Byward Market, a baseball stadium, Dow's lake area, and potential hockey arena together. Not too shabby.

Last edited by White Pine; May 6, 2015 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Whether or not the Trillium Line goes directly downtown has nothing to do with the fact that most of the city's land area only has 30-60 minute local bus service. Whether or not a transfer at Bayview is added or removed isn't going to somehow make the 30 minute wait at Greenboro for a bus home any worse or better.
True, but at least there is a Park n Ride lot at Greenboro, which proves very useful for Canada Day and Red Black games when direct service is provided from that point.

It does point to the need of frequent service on more routes in the evening. If we want to develop a transit culture and a lively downtown, this is a key.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post
I bolded some talking points, but will talk about them in no particular order.

I certainly don't think the Confederation line is perfect. If I were dictator, I would be using higher capacity vehicles, running the western part under Richmond among other things (probably bankrupting the city in the process). I do think that at some point there will be a need for another line to relieve this one, maybe on Montreal road. These vehicles are a bit small for a trunk line, even though train lengths and frequencies will make a difference.

IMO, transit should not just be about getting people to work, but also to where people want to go. Travel in Europe has made me appreciate getting a day pass and being able to see anything in the city just by taking the subway. This is why I think it would be an epic fail if the Trillium line does not go to the airport.

Anyways, along with this, we need at least some grade separated transit, especially downtown. This is what we're getting now. For the Confederation line, being on the surface downtown would defeat the purpose of the whole line.

The Confederation line was a NECESSARY venture, and I'm not sure if everyone really understands that. Would it be nice to have a spider web of rail transit that services every area of the city and connects to downtown? Yes! But the city for whatever reason doesn't have the money. And so we have to build it in pieces. The first piece is the Confederation line. And this piece is an expensive one that will use up the city's money for many years. But it's still worth it, because the confederation line is the most important part of the system, and we need it in order to have a system to add to.

People say "Oh, it only serves whatever percent of the city!" "it's useless!" But we can't wave a magic wand so that rapid transit will appear everywhere. you need to start somewhere so that you can build on it. Of course a city of 1,000,000 could have more than one line. But we only have money for one line. The rest has to come later. If you insist on something perfect, you will get nothing (unless an Olympics or World Cup come to Ottawa and we get lots of $$ )

Your comparison to the Rapidbus I've never thought about. It could pan out that way, but probably won't. There will need to be some busses, since the queen alignment misses a bit of employment.

But, considering it's Ottawa, we're getting it pretty good (that phrase describes pretty much everything in the city lol). We now will have rail rapid transit that connects downtown offices, the major hotels, the train station, all of the major malls, all major universities, Algonquin College, river access, Byward Market, a baseball stadium, Dow's lake area, and potential hockey arena together. Not too shabby.
I can't disagree with anything you say. We need to start somewhere. My concern is the lack of preparedness for moving beyond this. When we eliminated the roughed in link between the Trillium and Confederation Line to save a few million, we were not thinking about 20 or 50 years down the road. We plan new neighbourhoods around transit then we fail to build it or do the opposite, plan new 'urban' neighbourhoods and leave transit as an afterthought. My other concern is not fully understanding the limitations of what we are building and preparing for those limitations. It is like the Rapibus example happened in a vacuum. Even STO should have been able to predict added travel times. After all, was no testing of the route ever done before it opened? Hopefully, the revision of the transit system when the Confederation Line opens is tested before it is opened to the public and I include the revised bus network. Obviously, you can not prepare for everything but surely testing would reveal that 30 minutes was being added to travel time in certain situations.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
True, but at least there is a Park n Ride lot at Greenboro, which proves very useful for Canada Day and Red Black games when direct service is provided from that point.

It does point to the need of frequent service on more routes in the evening. If we want to develop a transit culture and a lively downtown, this is a key.
Agreed on all points. (Yay we agree on something!)

We really do need a better bus network outside peak periods.

I'd like to see a sizeable network of routes with guaranteed 10-minutes or better frequency in all time periods like Toronto & Montreal have on all the major corridors, weekend service until 3am on enough routes that all the urban area is within a half hour walk of such a route, and some limited-stop express routes on long corridors without rapid transit nearby (like Montreal Rd or Merivale Rd).

It sounds crazy, but that wish list really isn't hard to implement. All it takes is money. And we'll be saving lots with LRT. Rededicating the savings from the Transitway conversion to more bus service could probably achieve most of that wish list.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:40 AM

We've really got off topic with discussion of Ottawa's transit operations... so here's an update on Confederation Line construction.

The city's put out a spring newsletter on current status: http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca...Newsletter.pdf

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Agreed on all points. (Yay we agree on something!)

We really do need a better bus network outside peak periods.

I'd like to see a sizeable network of routes with guaranteed 10-minutes or better frequency in all time periods like Toronto & Montreal have on all the major corridors, weekend service until 3am on enough routes that all the urban area is within a half hour walk of such a route, and some limited-stop express routes on long corridors without rapid transit nearby (like Montreal Rd or Merivale Rd).

It sounds crazy, but that wish list really isn't hard to implement. All it takes is money. And we'll be saving lots with LRT. Rededicating the savings from the Transitway conversion to more bus service could probably achieve most of that wish list.
Let's look at this way, we both have the same overall goal. To make transit better.

Anyways, you are a great person to debate with. And we do agree on the specifics from time to time.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 11:09 AM
I ask because I Gatineau

Grand River Transit has released design renderings of their LRT stations

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/in-pictu...iled-1.2359798

Last edited by Horus; May 11, 2015 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 11:25 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Grand River Transit has released design renderings of their LRT stations

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/in-pictu...iled-1.2359798http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/in-pictu...iled-1.2359798
Damn! You Germans are Hardcore about your LRT transit. The stations look nice enough though.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 8:52 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Maybe someone in KW would have more information, but I found the render for the King/Victoria Transit Hub to be pretty underwhelming. I would have thought that station would have been a little more substantial given the intermodal links to GO, VIA and other GRT services.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:41 PM

I'm not sure why you think that the location as part of the intermodal transportation hub would require a more substantial ion station.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 12:32 AM
More transit please

Do we have any information on the length of the future Hamilton LRT? And if I'm correct construction is to start in 2019?

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 12:51 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Do we have any information on the length of the future Hamilton LRT? And if I'm correct construction is to start in 2019?
About 11km I believe. The route that was approved for funding today is from McMaster University in the West to the Queenston Traffic Circle in the East with a spur to the West Harbour GO station on James Street North. Eventual extension to Eastgate Square (the originally city approved Eastern terminus).

Procurement for 2017, construction starts in 2019.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 5:06 PM
More transit please

Here is the transit proposal by Aéroports de Montréal, presented at the National Assembly, regarding the future two LRT lines (West Island and South Shore). Their proposal would link both projects so there would be only one 50km line linking Pointe-Claire (and YUL) with Brossard, passing through Downtown in the process.

Here's a render for a future intermodal station at Dorval AMT/VIA station near the airport:

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...nd-south-shore

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 3:13 PM

Aéroports de Montréal's submission, with maps, etc. (en français, seulement)
http://www.admtl.com/sites/default/f...Loi38FINAL.pdf

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Here is the transit proposal by Aéroports de Montréal, presented at the National Assembly, regarding the future two LRT lines (West Island and South Shore). Their proposal would link both projects so there would be only one 50km line linking Pointe-Claire (and YUL) with Brossard, passing through Downtown in the process.

Here's a render for a future intermodal station at Dorval AMT/VIA station near the airport:

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...nd-south-shore
Thats pretty bad ass. Its about time that Dorval is integrated into the Metro (Albeit by LRT). Its been too long that Montreal has had a good metro but no Airport connection. And that intermodal station is very reminiscent of Disney or a World Fair. However, considering that the costs of running shorter lines of LRT are upwards of billions, 50KM of line would be astronomical and cause for concern.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 6:36 PM
More transit please

^well the West Island LRT would cost 2.5 billion and the South Shore LRT another 2.5, so together maybe a little less than 5 billion. Plus, these two lines (either linked together or separated) would get high ridership so it would be a good investment. Let's not forget the Eglinton Crosstown will cost 5 billion for one line...

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 7:09 PM

Yeah, picture 2 Canada Lines, but with the savings from having fewer stations, and piggybacking on an existing bridge project to help offset the costs of inflation and working with the idiosyncrasies(?) of the QC construction industry.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 10:15 PM

Good for MTL. About time they get an airport link. No issues with it being LRT just as long as it is fully grade separated (i.e. metro). Much cheaper going the above ground LRT metro than another fully u/g heavy rail line.

Just one concern; didn't they build a underground station for a UPX type train between the airport and downtown a few years back, or am I just imagining things?

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Good for MTL. About time they get an airport link. No issues with it being LRT just as long as it is fully grade separated (i.e. metro). Much cheaper going the above ground LRT metro than another fully u/g heavy rail line.

Just one concern; didn't they build a underground station for a UPX type train between the airport and downtown a few years back, or am I just imagining things?
Yes, it's under the hotel (Marriott?). There are pictures of it somewhere. Hopefully it gets used and doesn't sit abandoned like the one under Mirabel.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 11:43 PM
More transit please

Yep, under the Marriott. Good thing they planned ahead.

http://www.lapresse.ca/images/bizpho...3/04/52691.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada