HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 6:36 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRetrofit View Post
It hate the food Kelsey's serves. I believe it to look and smell worse than rubbish. I would imagine it tastes worse than rubbish. Having never tasted rubbish myself I cannot confirm this. Can anyone that has tasted rubbish confirm this?
i have eaten rubbish but i haven't eaten at kelsey's, so i can neither confirm nor deny your claim.

ancaster rules. my dad lives there. i love my dad, ergo i love ancaster and kelsey's. the end.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:23 PM

This is hilarious.

Kelseys isn't THAT bad, but it's not convenient to get to if you live downtown. I went there when I lived on the mountain and drove to buy milk.

This is one good example of where the urban and suburban ways can happily co-exist.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 5:29 PM

We should all meet up at the Kelsey's in Ancaster after Doors Open this year!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 8:29 PM
Closed account

is Walmart on the Doors Open list this year??

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 12:53 PM
Closed account

apparently, some of their 'unique community' includes wasted little idiotic front lawns.

Can we please just kick Lloyd Ferguson off council and let him join the Free Flamberstas people or something?

Mattamy: let's call porches green space

May 22, 2008
Eric McGuinness
The Hamilton Spectator
Ancaster (May 22, 2008)
Canada's biggest home builder wants to build townhouses with Ancaster's smallest front yards.

To do it, Oakville-based Mattamy Homes is asking Hamilton city council to classify covered porches as landscaped open space.

The idea is too much for Ancaster Councillor Lloyd Ferguson, who was distressed by Mattamy's high-density plan for the former fairgrounds on Kitty Murray lane even before planning consultant James Webb made the surprise porch proposal at a committee meeting Tuesday.

Webb said Mattamy wants townhouses facing Kitty Murray to cover 85 per cent of their lots. Then it's asking to add open, roofed porches extending up to two metres into the front yards, with the porches counting as part of the required landscaped space.

Ferguson noted Mattamy was already asking for setback and height exemptions for the development of 275 detached houses and 40 townhouses.

"Eighty-five per cent lot coverage jumps off the page," said Ferguson. "We've already compromised significantly."

A seemingly amazed Stoney Creek Councillor Brad Clark asked if indeed "the landscaped open space includes the porch?"

Webb said Mattamy would like to include it, that some municipalities do include porches.

"If we don't agree?" asked Clark.

"Then we would have to redesign the units," said Webb.

Committee members asked for a staff report on the issue.

emcguinness@thespec.com

905-526-4650

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 12:55 PM

What's the big deal? This isn't even really "in" Ancaster.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 1:02 PM
Closed account

the big deal is they are idiots.
He's probably thinking "front porch?? who would ever use one of those?"

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 2:58 PM
Closed account

front porches could lead to people being outdoors and gasp, perhaps even engaging in some sort of social discourse. ferguson is such an horse's arse.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 2:59 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Since when is a councilor an architect critic? Let the builder build what people will buy. What a moron.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 3:19 PM
National Capital Region

I don't think there should be a problem with that; here's how Kitchener defines "landscaping"... basically as outdoor space for residents... other municipalities call it "amenity space"
Quote:
"Landscaping" means outdoor space for use, enjoyment, recreation and utility, and may include natural
vegetation areas and constructed areas such as patios, decks, playgrounds, pathways and outdoor
recreational amenities. (By-law 94-1, S.5[g])
this is Ancaster's definition

Quote:
3.71 “Landscaping”
(a) means an area not built upon and not used for any purpose other than as a
landscaped area which may include grass, shrubs, flowers, trees and
similar types of vegetation, paths, walks, patios, fences, and similar
features; but
(b) does not include parking areas, parking lots, driveways, ramps or
maneuvering areas.
if patios are included, why shouldn't porches also be included?

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I don't think there should be a problem with that; here's how Kitchener defines "landscaping"... basically as outdoor space for residents... other municipalities call it "amenity space"
this is Ancaster's definition

if patios are included, why shouldn't porches also be included?
Because they are actually attached to the house (both porch and roof), and patios are not. They might abut the house but aren't actually attached.

I'm actually torn on this one.

I'm all for higher density, so whatever needs to happen to make that happen. But I'm also against the watering down of what is considered landscaped "green space".

Mattamy is really good at chewing up tons of green space. It's really sad they consider something created and installed by man to be creating green space....

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:13 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

o frig.... no one does anything with their front lawn anyway.... It just serves to spread crap out more.. making everything more car dependant. Maybe that's what Ancaster wants. Eveyone to own a car... just like Burlington in the absurd belief that poor people don't own cars.... so they won't travel into their fiefdumbs.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:34 PM
Closed account

Lol.....

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:45 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
o frig.... no one does anything with their front lawn anyway.... It just serves to spread crap out more.. making everything more car dependant. Maybe that's what Ancaster wants. Eveyone to own a car... just like Burlington in the absurd belief that poor people don't own cars.... so they won't travel into their fiefdumbs.
I agree, lot coverage restrictions especially create a more suburban (in a bad way) form of development

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 7:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Because they are actually attached to the house (both porch and roof), and patios are not. They might abut the house but aren't actually attached.

I'm actually torn on this one.

I'm all for higher density, so whatever needs to happen to make that happen. But I'm also against the watering down of what is considered landscaped "green space".

Mattamy is really good at chewing up tons of green space. It's really sad they consider something created and installed by man to be creating green space....
I think we have to be careful how we define 'greenspace'. If you simply ask for more 'greenspace' without being explicit about its function, then that is all you will get: empty space that does nothing to contribute to the urban fabric, but just happens to be green. Then we end up with expanses of non-native turf grass that do nothing for the environment, and serve to separate people from one another. I like the term 'amenity space' since it defines the space by its function, not merely its emptiness, or 'greeness'.

I have to admit though, as a porch is an integral part of a house (or should be), defining it as 'landscaped open space' is a bit of a stretch.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 7:58 PM
On Guard For Thee

Interesting debate--not because I care either way how it's settled, but because, for the most part there are now posters here on the Forum who are 'defending' Mattamy. Any port in the storm I guess.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Interesting debate--not because I care either way how it's settled, but because, for the most part there are now posters here on the Forum who are 'defending' Mattamy. Any port in the storm I guess.
I can't speak for others, but I operate on principle. I don't have a list of groups that I'll hate to my grave.
If LIUNA decided tomorrow to fully restore Lister and use it for lofts, I'd lead a parade downtown wearing one of their shirts.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 8:09 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Meridian Credit Union Unveils “Why Do You Call Ancaster Home?” contest with Grand Prize of $10,000

Ancaster – As Meridian Credit Union prepares to open the doors of its newest branch in Ancaster, they are reaching out to community members to learn about their favourite local causes.

“We are so pleased to announce the “Why Do You Call Ancaster Home?” contest,” says Barbara Gardiner, Ancaster Branch Manager. “As part of the contest, we want to hear from Ancaster residents about their favourite local causes. We hope that this contest will help Meridian in getting to know the community better and understanding what really matters to its Members.”

The winner of the contest will receive $10,000 – half of which will be donated to Ancaster’s favourite cause.

“Meridian firmly believes in the value of giving back to one’s community and this contest poses a great opportunity for people to give back to their favourite cause and say “Thank You,” says Gardiner.

The contest closes on September 1st, 2008 and is open to all Ontario residents 18 years and older. To participate and to increase the chances for your cause to be eligible, visit www.ancastermeridian.ca, complete the online survey and entry form and encourage your friends and family to enter as well.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 9:16 PM
Closed account

all the beautiful drive-thrus, lack of trees, speeding cars and wonderful box stores.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 11:52 AM

Green light for fairgrounds development

Kevin Werner Jun 06, 2008 Ancaster News

Hamilton politicians gave the green light this week to the 300-plus residential development on the former Ancaster Fairgrounds, including a new temporary stop light.

"We can't wait for years and years," said Ancaster councillor Lloyd Ferguson. "We need a temporary solution now. I simply want the signalization."

Members of the planning and economic development committee approved a zoning bylaw that will see 275 single family homes and 40 condominium units on the 16.7 hectares of the former Ancaster Fairgrounds.

The issue was deferred by the committee last month after politicians disagree with some planning changes the developer, Mattamy Homes, had suggested.

Politicians will vote on the recommendation at their June 11 council meeting.

Mattamy Homes, the developer of the property, agreed after negotiations with the city, to withdraw a proposal to narrow the lots along Garner Road to be a new sustainable style of townhouse. Instead, the developer agreed to increase the lot coverage and construct conventional townhouses. Mattamy Homes will also contribute $10,000 to help pay for any traffic control measure the city eventually builds at the corner of Garner Road and Kitty Murray Lane. The cost of a stop light is about $100,000.

"I commend Mattamy for withdrawing the proposal," said Mr. Ferguson. "That would have been controversial for the residents in the area."

In the meantime, with the new fire station being constructed on the former fairgrounds property, plus Mattamy Home's starting to build in 2010, and another development proposed oppose the Mattamy Home development on Southcote Road, Mr. Ferguson urged the city to construct a temporary stop light to control the expected traffic problems.

Area residents last month urged councillors to do something to slow down speeding vehicles along Garner Road.

City traffic officials recommended no stop light be installed because it was not warranted.

As part of the development of the site, an environmental assessment is being conducted along Garner Road to determine, among other things, what type of intersection control will be needed for the area. The EA will also examine if Garner Road needs to be expanded. City officials expect the EA to be completed late this year.

Close the sale

Mattamy Homes, one of Canada's largest home builders, is scheduled to close the sale on the former fairgrounds property Dec. 31, 2008.

The proposed plan, which Mattamy Homes officials has touted as being "different" includes a condominium road, a parkette, a walkway, six new streets, the extension of Barnacle Crescent and Roelfson Drive.

Ward 1 councillor Brian McHattie expressed disappointment at local residents who didn't want Mattamy's original townhouse design.

"It's popular in the Greater Toronto Area, and accepted in Markham," said Mr. McHattie. "There needs to be an education process in Hamilton. I hope we can support the 'new urbanism'."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs