HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 9:50 PM

Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 11:40 PM

If that's the final cladding in the first picture that makes me a bit nervous... Might have to take a detour around Wellington to see this in person.
Small stain

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 12:29 PM

Judging by the renderings, that looks like it will be the cladding for most of the building:

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 1:02 PM
Winnipeg

I like it. Th cladding seems to have matte finish. The first picture shows it reflects light in a very mellow and warm way.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:02 PM

If you are concerned about the blank slate look I am sure before long someone will have the idea to make banners promoting different exhibits/events at the museum to be hung there. It is a great way to draw people in and to have a space to show off different things related to the collection.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:04 PM

I still find it a bit weird that the museum is going up basically next to the terminal. I don't think I've ever seen a museum right by an international airport like that... this has to be a fairly unusual placement?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I still find it a bit weird that the museum is going up basically next to the terminal. I don't think I've ever seen a museum right by an international airport like that... this has to be a fairly unusual placement?
I agree, and I hope it doesn't hinder future development there. However, it IS an aviation museum, so it kind of makes sense – and judging by the location of the hangar door, maybe they want to be able to have unique planes fly in and be able to showcase them?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:42 PM

Possibly. I suppose Winnipeg will benefit from many years of mentions in random in-flight magazine articles showcasing unusual attractions at airports around the world.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I agree, and I hope it doesn't hinder future development there. However, it IS an aviation museum, so it kind of makes sense – and judging by the location of the hangar door, maybe they want to be able to have unique planes fly in and be able to showcase them?
The aviation museum in Victoria (or technically Sidney) is kind of in the same boat, although it isn't right on the same road as the terminal itself.

Also the old spot wasn't any better in terms of location. In my opinion this is the perfect location. It makes a brand new museum the first thing people see when they arrive here and puts the museum in a much more highly trafficked area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If you are concerned about the blank slate look I am sure before long someone will have the idea to make banners promoting different exhibits/events at the museum to be hung there. It is a great way to draw people in and to have a space to show off different things related to the collection.
Not so much concerned about the blank slate but that the colour looks a lot less nice than in the renders. I'll have to see it for myself though.
Small stain

Old Posted Oct 16, 2020, 9:04 PM

Drove past the building today. a) it's way bigger than I thought, that's good. b) still not a fan of the colour. The renders looked more golden brown which I liked but this is more tan. It should still look good once its done but could be better imo.
Small stain

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:16 AM

Quote:
The Steven F Udvar-Hazy Center is next door to the Dulles Terminal. It's part of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. Google says its an 8 minute drive away, so it might be too far to be a counterpoint. I don't know if you mean walking distance or what.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 6:14 AM

While YHM is mostly a cargo airport, Hamilton's Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum shares a parking lot with the passenger terminal.

https://www.warplane.com/

You can actually book a flight in one of the working planes in their collection.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 3:27 PM

^ You seem pretty plugged in to what's going on in Brandon... I'm surprised you didn't mention the Commonwealth Air Training Museum next to Brandon Airport

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 5:40 PM

Quote:
^ You seem pretty plugged in to what's going on in Brandon... I'm surprised you didn't mention the Commonwealth Air Training Museum next to Brandon Airport
Lol - yes on both counts. I have family in Brandon. Also, the Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum is indeed at the Brandon Airport (YBR). It's the only museum related to a huge effort in World War 2 to train thousands of Air Force personnel. However, while the CATP Museum is a fine place to spend an hour or so, the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is a fairly major museum.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Lol - yes on both counts. I have family in Brandon. Also, the Commonwealth Air Training Plan Museum is indeed at the Brandon Airport (YBR). It's the only museum related to a huge effort in World War 2 to train thousands of Air Force personnel. However, while the CATP Museum is a fine place to spend an hour or so, the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum is a fairly major museum.
The Brandon museum is more about rebuilding and flying vintage planes from a specific era. Not so much of the static display that the Winnipeg museum was about. The new Winnipeg museum apparently will have a lot more interactive stuff and not just hollowed airplane fuselages. I look forward to the new one opening.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 5:06 AM

The Airport would be wise to offer free shuttles from the main terminal to the Museum for people on layovers.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
The Airport would be wise to offer free shuttles from the main terminal to the Museum for people on layovers.
I never thought of a layover in Winnipeg. How many people could there be? I mean normally, not during the covid era. Good idea though.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I never thought of a layover in Winnipeg. How many people could there be? I mean normally, not during the covid era. Good idea though.
It certainly does happen. I can't imagine the numbers are vast but I have certainly talked to, or overheard people mentioning connections in Winnipeg. From what I can tell, it's mainly people connecting to either Saskatchewan (to or from points in the US), Northwestern Ontario or to Northern Manitoba/Nunavut, especially Churchill. There are also more people than you might think going from east to west (say, Montreal or Toronto to Calgary or Vancouver) who end up connecting here because for whatever reason price and/or availability pushed them into a connecting flight rather than a nonstop.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 5:59 PM

I had a three hour layover in Regina once on my way to Vancouver cause it was the cheapest flight booked by work.. All things are possible!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:54 PM

Back to slow times again at the airport. I counted the number of flights departing today and there are only 13, 3 of which are regionals on Calm Air or Bearskin.

Not quite as low as the depths of April/May when there were some days with only around 6 departures, but this is in line with what we saw towards the end of March when lockdown 1 had just begun. I wonder what the loads are like on the departing flights?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan