HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 4:51 PM
arf

Not sure about traffic on Scarth either. It's certainly an interesting proposition. It could make the incredibly awkward Scarth/12th intersection more useable. Maybe remove vehicular traffic to the square and open Scarth as an option.

I had to direct an old lady who was quite distressed when she managed to get between the barriers and the actual park space a few weeks back. The issue was that the posts that are supposed to be up to prevent cars at the East end of the park weren't up and she drove through there and then couldn't figure out why there was no way out when the posts further West were up. Then when I told her to turn around go out and turn left onto the square and go up Cornwall street she proceeded to turn right and then have a difficult time with the lack of street lights facing her when she was going through the Scarth/12th intersection.

The design of the square is terrible and it started with the compromise of limited traffic.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 8:18 PM

She is also only one vote on council. She'd have to get all of council to buy in on Scarth Street and I'm not seeing that happen, esp given traffic in the summer. Instead of Pat's patio, the city should've created a pedestrian mall from Vic to 11th and built it up.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 1:24 AM

They should spend $12 million to renovate the Scarth Street Mall, using the pavers that they will tear up from Pat's Patio in order to rebuild the street that used to be there. Heck, they can even rename Scarth Street Mall to 'Fougere's Patio' in 10 years time.

I am worried about this civic election. There are too many people running for mayor (nine!) many who shouldn't have a chance, but the meager votes will get split up and we could end up with some bozo (Flegel) as mayor. Please, be sure to vote however you choose, whoever you think will be good for our city. Get your friends and family to vote too. It really sucks to see Regina stagnate, while the 'Paris of the Prairies' seems to have a lot on the go.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Sandra Masters had an AMA on Reddit and skirted around questions about who is financing her campaign. This is a red flag for me.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Sandra Masters had an AMA on Reddit and skirted around questions about who is financing her campaign. This is a red flag for me.
She's probably got most of the business community on her side. Rumor has it that Gavin Semple is the main funder.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
She's probably got most of the business community on her side. Rumor has it that Gavin Semple is the main funder.
I wasn't going to vote for her anyway, but hearing this rumor now, for sure I won't be voting for her

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:56 AM

The important thing to keep in mind is that Fougere is an awful, awful man who is poisoning city administration.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:35 PM

Quote:
The important thing to keep in mind is that Fougere is an awful, awful man who is poisoning city administration.
In what way? (asking genuinely).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 1:42 PM

I think either the City needs to act on replacing the brick on Scarth, or rip it all up if no investment is planned. I understand the purpose of Scarth Street Mall, but it looks like shit. With the Globe restoration/redo coming soon in the new year and the fact that there will be a new entrance podium built/added on the Scarth Street side, it would be a perfect time for the City to work on Scarth and get it all done at the same time. I would love the same brick that is on the plaza continued up Scarth to the Cornwall Centre. It would brighten and modernize Scarth Street. I also want more trees and a center Fountain in the former raised spot.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
I think either the City needs to act on replacing the brick on Scarth, or rip it all up if no investment is planned. I understand the purpose of Scarth Street Mall, but it looks like shit. With the Globe restoration/redo coming soon in the new year and the fact that there will be a new entrance podium built/added on the Scarth Street side, it would be a perfect time for the City to work on Scarth and get it all done at the same time. I would love the same brick that is on the plaza continued up Scarth to the Cornwall Centre. It would brighten and modernize Scarth Street. I also want more trees and a center Fountain in the former raised spot.
I agree it is time for a bit of a do over.

The purpose of Scarth Street Mall, the Plaza, and Vic Park are to be gathering places that activate spaces. Vibrant hubs. The current state/design accomplishes none of that. It is a barren wasteland of people and businesses, and that was pre-covid.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, who are you voting for?

I don't think we have a single good candidate.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 5:40 PM

I think we could see a real shakeup on council. Fougere's recent push tells me he's worried about losing his seat. I could see Barb Young, Sharon Bryce and Joel Murray losing their seats plus there is O'Donnell's open ward and Flegel's open ward. It could look very different after the election. It's probably time.

I've seen a couple of posts on social media that Regina's advance polls are busy.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:44 PM
arf

There was a good line of cars at City Hall when I walked by today.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I think we could see a real shakeup on council. Fougere's recent push tells me he's worried about losing his seat. I could see Barb Young, Sharon Bryce and Joel Murray losing their seats plus there is O'Donnell's open ward and Flegel's open ward. It could look very different after the election. It's probably time.

I've seen a couple of posts on social media that Regina's advance polls are busy.
Anecdotally, Bob Hawkins is in for a tough election as well. I'm thinking it'll be a three-way race between Hawkins, Tsiklis, and Signh.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 9:45 PM

Purely anecdotal, but I've seen far more Cheryl Stadnichuk signs in Ward 1 (Whitmore Park) than Barb Young.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
In what way? (asking genuinely).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Out of curiosity, who are you voting for?

I don't think we have a single good candidate.
I'll probably vote for Masters... but not because I'm in love with her campaign. Mostly because I think we just need change and she's the most reasonable alternative.

Fougere isn't outwardly awful, but on the inside of the city he is horrible. He's spiteful and makes city administration's life horrible. Because he is only one vote, the way he makes changes is by undermining decisions and quiet subterfuge that makes working at the city awful.

All you have to do is watch a few council meetings and you can see that Fougere really has no idea what's going on. He focuses on a few things, then is oblivious to what is going on.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:21 PM

In the debate last night, I think Masters made a very strong case. She was well prepared and is a strong speaker.

Flegel sounds like he is being backed by Semple; he brought up a downtown arena multiple times and suddenly he has private investors but doesn't want to name them of course. He did not sounds prepared. The debate did nothing to separate him from Fougere.

Fougere sounded bored and seemed to reiterate again and again that the status quo is working.

@PDcityhall is worth a read on Twitter if you want the gist of the debate.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 2:52 AM

Quote:
I'll probably vote for Masters... but not because I'm in love with her campaign. Mostly because I think we just need change and she's the most reasonable alternative.

Fougere isn't outwardly awful, but on the inside of the city he is horrible. He's spiteful and makes city administration's life horrible. Because he is only one vote, the way he makes changes is by undermining decisions and quiet subterfuge that makes working at the city awful.

All you have to do is watch a few council meetings and you can see that Fougere really has no idea what's going on. He focuses on a few things, then is oblivious to what is going on.
So you've made public claims about someone's personal character and work ethics and then when asked to clarify you give vague non-answers. Perfect.

On another note, if it is true that Sandra Masters is funded by someone who doesn't live in the city, chooses to have most of his major company located outside city limits and wants to build that fugly building in the park, then my vote won't be for her.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
So you've made public claims about someone's personal character and work ethics and then when asked to clarify you give vague non-answers. Perfect.

On another note, if it is true that Sandra Masters is funded by someone who doesn't live in the city, chooses to have most of his major company located outside city limits and wants to build that fugly building in the park, then my vote won't be for her.
What does she want to build in the park?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post

I believe she's on the record stating that Conexus should have built downtown, and that she doesn't support any further development in the park. That would seem to kill the rumor that she's backed by Semple.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan