HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Nice find! I hope this is for Huss. That would be a great location and would activate the block a bit...after this pandemic is over that is
I don't love Huss, but I support local breweries so I'll go to the Uptown location every once in awhile for a few.

I agree that there's no way this gets built for awhile, but fine to move along with the permits. I think that this will play out when things return to normal and conventions happen again. This seems to be out of the convention center revamp playbook that the city consultant provided, calling for more entertainment in the area and the hotel on the old south convention center.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 5:09 PM

This could be the PIONEER POINT for DTWN growing NW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcxion View Post
This is by far my favorite picture of the project! Thanks Code5. Got any more pictures of other developments going on in downtown?

The building height IS HIGHER going in the NW. direction.
So the X-Phoenix would be a good Pioneer spot for DTWN. growing NW.
Which is where all new highrises which could actually BECOME SKYSCRAPERS
If they continue in the NW direction. (away from the flightline and away from the property of SKY HARBOR)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
LOL

Alright, after a little sleuthing, it looks like it may be related!

New Huss Brewing location is in partnership with City of Phoenix and Aramark (in charge of Convention Center's concessions). Still on the agenda for tomorrow's Zoning Adjustment Hearing so maybe looks like still in play...

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...wntown-phoenix
Just to close the loop on this one...

It was approved with a stipulation to apply and pay for building permits within 18 months. So probably be a while before anything happens w/ Huss Brewing here...like others have said, perhaps when Convention Center re-opens again and starts booking events

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Just to close the loop on this one...

It was approved with a stipulation to apply and pay for building permits within 18 months. So probably be a while before anything happens w/ Huss Brewing here...like others have said, perhaps when Convention Center re-opens again and starts booking events
Yes unfortunately a good half of the year is essentially a write off.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 8:58 PM

Images from this weekend and last weekend.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 1:59 PM

Picture from last night -- good amount of progress:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:59 PM

If i'm being honest, this turned out much stubbier and with an uglier facade than I hoped. On the bright side, I really like what ASU did with their building with the glass and horizontal lines getting closer together as you move up, make the illusion that it's taller.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:34 PM

I agree that the building looks stubby. I also agree about the facade it looks quite different than the renderings.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:43 PM

When you have no frame of reference it does look short due to being wide but when you see it in comparison to the buildings around it it just seems massive.

The façade is ugly though I hope there is more to it than that, looks like soviet block.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
When you have no frame of reference it does look short due to being wide but when you see it in comparison to the buildings around it it just seems massive.

The façade is ugly though I hope there is more to it than that, looks like soviet block.
I completely agree, when you see it in person, it is truly massive due to its wide footprint, it is still a 20 story 266' tall building. You have 7 story full block podium project literally across the street.

I know the parapet is supposed to covered as well, as they haven't finished the 20th floor yet, and not sure but based on rendering, they may be painting the exposed concrete a darker gray color. That with all the elevator cores wraps, glass curtain walls, garage facade, etc., I think it will turn out nice and end up looking very similar to the renderings. It has about 8 months still of construction.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:47 PM

obudno and i agree on something, it's a very russian cold-war era look.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
obudno and i agree on something, it's a very russian cold-war era look.
We agree on lots of things Big

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:53 PM

The width doesn't help, but also the heigh of the base (parking?) vs. the overall height definitely doesn't help. I feel like the base shouldn't be more than 1/3 the height, but here it's almost half.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:38 AM
Modulator

I found a rendering yesterday that shows X with the 2nd phase having an additional 4 floors. This would probably put X over the 300' mark. Not sure how factual the rendering is, but I'm still hoping for even more height to be added when the 2nd phase is built, but that's wishful thinking.

Edit: Here's the rendering I was referring to posted on ForRent.com:

For comparison, here's the original rendering from AZ Central. You can see the 2nd phase is clearly higher in the ForRent.com rendering above:

Again, not sure how factual this is. But the rendering from ForRent.com shows the 1st phase as actually built compared to the AZ Central rendering which appears to be a little different the top level.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I found a rendering yesterday that shows X with the 2nd phase having an additional 4 floors. This would probably put X over the 300' mark. Not sure how factual the rendering is, but I'm still hoping for even more height to be added when the 2nd phase is built, but that's wishful thinking.

Edit: Here's the rendering I was referring to posted on ForRent.com:

For comparison, here's the original rendering from AZ Central. You can see the 2nd phase is clearly higher in the ForRent.com rendering above:

Again, not sure how factual this is. But the rendering from ForRent.com shows the 1st phase as actually built compared to the AZ Central rendering which appears to be a little different the top level.
It actually makes it look like Phase 2 will take it all the way to the Van Buren and fill the whole block.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:58 AM

Well, we know it won't be built at the rendering shows. The reason is that the parking base is not being built to cover the entire block (which is a good thing) as it show in the rendering. So it would be two separate bases. I do hope that they go quite a bit higher in the next phase. The parking garage height to apartment height is just disturbing to me. It would do it well to have the two towers not connecting. And perhaps with the rising demand they can build a taller phase 2.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:24 AM

Question does anyone know what's the time table for phase 2?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:31 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddave View Post
Question does anyone know what's the time table for phase 2?
I haven't seen any specific timelines. Also, the 2nd phase was never shown on any of my records request. So I suspect will be waiting a couple years.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:46 AM

Phase 2 Design was planned to start once Phase 1 was complete placing construction a minimum of a year after Phase 1 opens. The entire block is one property and lots were combined, so a lot split would need to take place in order to sell to someone else.

Phase 2 is shown as 23 story with rooftop amenity on 24th in prelim approval site plan. It would push building to at least 300'. There was going to be a Phase 3 as well converting some of the perimeter garage spaces to units, but I think that has been scrapped, but that leaves additional parking to make it possible to increase the quantity of Phase 2 units and floor count even more.

Parking Garage in Phase 2 would expand to take up the entire lot utilizing the single ramp off of Monroe. That way they can maintain the open air public walkways underneath the garage. The garage is also that large due to City agreement requiring them to build spaces the City lost when the public surface lost was lost.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:55 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Phase 2 Design was planned to start once Phase 1 was complete placing construction a minimum of a year after Phase 1 opens. The entire block is one property and lots were combined, so a lot split would need to take place in order to sell to someone else.
A lot split was submitted back in April.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest