HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Sooo. Coors Field is what, 22 years old? Time to start thinking about... replacement?

Ironically, in the orgy of of taxpayers spending billions to subsidize millionaires (baseball players) and billionaires (owners) so many sports palaces have been built that now Coors Field is the 13th oldest in baseball. A stadium newer than Coors Field - Turner Field - was just retired with a new stadium coming on line in Atlanta this year.

I say this tongue in cheek (I think). Coors Field was one of the best done of the new style "old stadiums," is beloved by fans, has had high attendance despite miserable play, and hopefully has another 25 years left (at least).

It wouldn't surprise me if Mile-hi gets tagged for replacement before Coors. Although Invesco was nice enough for its time, by today's NFL standards this frugally-built facility is Section 8 housing. The new standard is billion dollar plus stadiums with retractable roofs and as much gaudy luxury as taxpayers can be persuaded to fund.

Before you laugh, recall the life expectancy of the St. Louis Ram stadium. Built in 1995 to attract the Rams from LA and abandoned in 2016 - 21 years later - because it didn't meet current NFL standards.
Who is saying replace the stadium??? I think you guys are reading way too much into this...They came up with a report saying they need approximately $194 million OVER 30 YEARS to maintain and keep the facility up to date...that is really all they are saying. Yes that will probably include some actual improvements, but you would probably also be surprised at the yearly costs it takes to maintain the structure.

The actual team management...well thats a whole other story
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 1:55 AM

200 apartments underway for Cap Hill corner

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
As for developers who can do 700+, Hines has shown that they believe in this market and certainly have the capability to build skyscrapers. If 1144 15th is a success they will continue to invest in downtown Denver.
If in fact John Portman & Associates along with their construction partner Hensel Phelps wants to pursue more projects in Denver then they also could build a signature project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Here's a feel-good opinion article that gives me hope Block 162 (at lease the office component), will indeed break ground later this year. This of course assuming no macro-scale economic issues arise.

http://www.crej.com/news/downtown-la...-space-needed/
I'm now decidedly more optimistic about this project proceeding regardless of when they break ground. BTW, I often enjoy CREJ pieces.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 4:16 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

I'm cross-posting from the Cherry Creek thread because this is some sexy craneage!

Additional Tower Cranes Up in Cherry Creek

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 5:21 PM

Gables Alameda

Quote:
Gables Alameda represents Phase II of Ziegler Cooper’s Gables Cherry Creek project in Denver, Colorado. Gables Alameda will feature 140 apartment units contained in an eight-story building. In comparison to Gables Cherry Creek, this new building will have larger floor plans and outdoor spaces/terraces. The exterior facade features Colorado Red Ledgestone complemented by a silver metal paneling. The eighth floor will feature a rooftop pool, hot tub, outdoor lounging area and indoor amenity club area. The urban residential development features panoramic views of the nearby mountain range and Downtown Denver. Gables Alameda is scheduled to open in 2019.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 8:28 PM
Up Up and Away

Last edited by pablosan; Mar 18, 2017 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 9:45 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

^Awesome photos! Were those taken from the Cherry Creek dam?
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 12:08 AM
Up Up and Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
^Awesome photos! Were those taken from the Cherry Creek dam?
They were taken near Glendale, by the Rugby Fields. I had access to one of the upper floors.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 2:10 AM

1144 15th Street

200+ photos taken March 18, 2017:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/767519...57679176016132

My favorite:

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 2:25 AM
Up Up and Away

You just have to appreciate the reflective properties of these new skyscrapers.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 5:45 PM

Awesome photos! This is my favorite part of 1144 construction as it's slowly finding it's way into the skyline. The next couple months are going to be fun as it gets closer to topping out.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 6:53 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Awesome photos! This is my favorite part of 1144 construction as it's slowly finding it's way into the skyline. The next couple months are going to be fun as it gets closer to topping out.
Indeed! It is creeping up there!

1144 From DUS by Ryan Dravitz, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:02 AM

Thanks for the comments on the pics! Some more:

1401 Lawrence, as reflected by 1144 15th. Guest-starring 4 Seasons:

1144 as reflected by 1401. It should be noted that 1144 15th Street falls nowhere within the frame of this photo:

1144 reflecting the Denver skyline:

And of course...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:27 AM

A few shots I took today of 1144 -

And a few of one of my favorites --

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 5:25 AM

Greetings. First time poster here. For the record, I Love Denver!
Anyway, I'm trying to find out the particular site in downtown Denver that was slated for a failed development back in the very early 1980s. The proposed development was called One Mile High Plaza. I'll try to include a rendering of the project but am not sure I'll successfully navigate the Credit/URL rules. I'd sure appreciate it if someone could shed light on the lot where they intended to build this tower--and how it would have been situated on the lot. Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:15 PM

Gorgeous pics Ryan (that drone shot over Union Station is killer!!), Matt (those reflective pics are amazing!) and CPVLIVE!!

Quote:
Anyway, I'm trying to find out the particular site in downtown Denver that was slated for a failed development back in the very early 1980s. The proposed development was called One Mile High Plaza. I'll try to include a rendering of the project but am not sure I'll successfully navigate the Credit/URL rules. I'd sure appreciate it if someone could shed light on the lot where they intended to build this tower--and how it would have been situated on the lot. Thanks!
I remember One Mile High-I believe it was to be 38 floors and 540 ft and canceled around mid 1983. Matt had a site called Denver skyscrapers that had these cancelled projects listed. There has almost always rumors and talk of large Fortune 500 companies moving to downtown Denver from other places some notable ones Purina Chows from St Louis, Armour-Dial from Phoenix and recently ADM from Decatur Illinios (ADM moved to Chicago however were interested in Denver as they would have been a bit closer to California's central valley where they have a big interest in rice and corn). I remember back when I worked at Norwest Bank (in the now Wells Fargo cash register building) there was talk of Norwest moving some of their corporate operation from Minneapolis to Denver into a 59 story craper that would have been almost 900 ft high and built on the old parking lot site where Skyhouse Denver now sits-this was back around 1996 (the merger with Wells Fargo happened shortly later).

Last edited by CastleScott; Mar 20, 2017 at 7:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleScott View Post
Gorgeous pics Ryan (that drone shot over Union Station is killer!!), Matt (those reflective pics are amazing!) and CPVLIVE!!

I remember One Mile High-I believe it was to be 38 floors and and 540 ft and canceled around mid 1983. Matt had a site called Denver skyscrapers that had these cancelled projects listed. There has almost always rumors and talk of large Fortune 500 companies moving to downtown Denver from other places some notable ones Purina Chows from St Louis, Armour-Dial from Phoenix and recently ADM from Decatur Illinios (ADM moved to Chicago however were interested in Denver as they would have been a bit closer to California's central valley where they have a big interest in rice and corn). I remember back when I worked at Norwest Bank (in the now Wells Fargo cash register building) there was talk of Norwest moving some of their corporate operation from Minneapolis to Denver into a 59 story craper that would have been almost 900 ft high and built on the old parking lot site where Skyhouse Denver now sits-this was back around 1996 (the merger with Wells Fargo happened shortly later).
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about the Norwest proposal for the Skyhouse site. I did find Matt's site--that's where I first learned of One Mile High Plaza--but the rendering and other information doesn't indicate just where it was to be located. I love the alternative history aspect of these NeverBuilts.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:43 AM

Driving down Colfax today, there was a giant pit on West Colfax and Vrain. I think it may be this project that had broken ground but was not sure. Anyone have info?

Quote:
high end living meets micro housing. colfax + vrain is geared to be one of denver's first and only micro-housing apartment complexes appealing to modern micro-living in the big city. located just south of sloan's lake and a cool 10 minutes drive from the center of downtown denver - this new development will provide residents with the comforts and amenities of apartment living in a more compact way. units sizes range from just over 350 square feet to just shy of 625 square feet and boast views of the rocky mountains, sloan's lake, and the city skyline. amenity spaces include a rooftop movie viewing screen, raised garden beds, private patios, and lounging spaces. retail and commercial opportunities adorn the first floor on the colfax frontage and provide close proximity to restaurants and coffee shops.
Developer: http://www.zerosixthree.com/row10/

Source: http://sitedrivendesign.com/#/microh...-colfax-vrain/

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipDDG View Post
One Mile High Plaza. I believe this was slated for 16th and Tremont, what is now the southern portion of the Denver Pavilions.

Before Republic Plaza was cut down in height (originally proposed at 80 stories) due to the Stapleton Airport FAA height limit, Denver's tallest building was actually slated to be Reliance Center at 721' in height, proposed for the lot on 15th St. between Welton and Glenarm:

Last edited by Matt; Mar 21, 2017 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 3:37 AM

Welcome! As I recall, Mile High Center was going to be on 16th Street across from the Kittredge building between Welton and Glenarm with the cascade of glass facing 16th street. I had a cutout from a newspaper article from way back in the day. Here is a link to a photo actually posted from this forum.

LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipDDG View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West