HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Landmark Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Allentown Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 2:37 PM

ALLENTOWN | Landmark Tower | FT | 37 FLOORS

A 420-foot-tall, 33-story tower has been proposed by developer Bruce Loch for the corner of Ninth and Walnut streets in Downtown Allentown, PA. The mixed-use tower would be the tallest building in the city.

The building will feature retail on the first floor, 19 floors of office space, 10 floors of rental apartments and two floor of condos. Her’d also like to build a conference center on floors 31 and 32, with a restaurant and observation deck on floor 33. He is offering to give naming rights to a tenant who is willing to lease more than half of the office space.

http://highrisefacilities.com/develo...-pa-high-rise/

Last edited by summersm343; Jan 21, 2016 at 5:39 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 3:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is great news for Allentown. It will really stand out.

http://www.boxaroo.com/wp-content/up.../Allentown.jpg

Lehigh Valley's New Tallest

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 3:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Allentown developer plans tallest building in Lehigh Valley

Found some reading material on the topic, More in the link... :

After decades of spreading out, Allentown could be growing up, its skyline altered by the Lehigh Valley's tallest building.

Developer Bruce Loch unveiled plans Wednesday for the 33-story Landmark Tower at Ninth and Walnut streets. The $60-million project would include nearly 200,000 square feet of office, retail and residential space and eclipse the vacant Martin Tower, the former headquarters of Bethlehem Steel and the Valley's tallest building, by 20 feet.

Loch, an experienced residential builder in the Lehigh Valley with more than $100 million in development under his belt, is making his first foray into this type of project, which he said would be on a lot owned by the Allentown Parking Authority, next to the authority's garage on Walnut Street.

The property is in the city's one-of-a-kind Neighborhood Improvement Zone, which allows developers to tap tenants' state and city taxes, not including property taxes, to finance construction.

Plans, which are in the early stages, call for retail on the ground floor of the tower, topped by 19 stories of offices. Above that would be 10 floors of residential space — of those, six would be for apartments and four for condominiums. The top three floors of the building would be a restaurant and conference center.

Source: http://articles.mcall.com/2013-03-28...provement-zone

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 8:47 PM

It'd be awesome to see more tall buildings in the Lehigh Valley.

3rd biggest metro in PA, about equidistant from NYC + Philly.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:29 AM
New Yorker for life

ALLENTOWN, PA | Landmark Tower | 420 FT | 33 FLOORS

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/alle...kyscraper.html

Proposed Allentown skyscraper would tower 420 feet above the city

By Edward Sieger
January 13, 2015

Quote:
A proposed 33-story tower at Ninth and Walnut streets could eventually become the norm, not the exception for development in Center City Allentown, the project architect said Tuesday.

"It could be a start of many other buildings in Downtown Allentown," architect Glenn Lichtenwalner said.

The Allentown Planning Commission Tuesday took its first look at developer Bruce Loch's 420-foot Landmark Tower project. Planners tabled the project while additional engineering and architectural work is completed.

As proposed, the building would become the tallest in the state outside of Philadelphia or Pittsburgh and feature two floors of retail, 24 floors of office space and seven floors of residential, including three floors of penthouse space. The penthouse views from the ceiling-to-floor windows would afford a roughly 360-degree, 20-mile view, according to Lichenwalner.

The planning commission's review was a broad one that included questions about parking, storm-water management and access to the adjoining parking deck. Commissioner Richard Button addressed the elephant in the room: the building's vertical reach on a relatively small parcel of land.

Project engineer Andy Woods acknowledged the property is a relatively small one at roughly 5,200 square feet. Button said he's fielded concerns from residents about the prospects of building such a tall building on that property.

"It looks like a tall, skinny building. Tell me how solid this is going to be," he said. "People think you can't do it."

Referring to renderings provided by the architect, commission Chairman Oldrich Foucek noted "that conference room looks like it would take up an entire floor."

The building's pedestal will measure roughly 80 feet along South Ninth Street and 68 feet along Walnut Street, expanding to 89 feet by 78 feet at the fifth floor, Lichtenwalner said. The PPL building's upper floors, by comparison, measure 120 feet by 76 feet, he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:41 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

The fuck? Did a 7 year old on the short bus draw this design?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:55 AM
MPLSXCHI

Ugly, but It will add the density in a city of 100k. It's ok, all in all.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 4:57 AM

very Asianesque, almost like Pagoda but without the tiers.

it also reminds me of the Prudential Tower in Boston, mostly because of the shape and antenna up top.

The Prudential Tower from Across The River by Drone Photography, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Will definitely stand out. Its a nice little city, good culture, good surroundings, and this will help.

Last edited by chris08876; Jan 14, 2015 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 7:43 PM

Thumbs up

A nice development for Allentown. Understand the population is growing; thats great. In the future could become a nice little hub city in the western extreme of the New York City Metropolitan Area

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 8:52 PM

There was already a thread for this created so I merged the two.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
A nice development for Allentown. Understand the population is growing; thats great. In the future could become a nice little hub city in the western extreme of the New York City Metropolitan Area
Lehigh Valley is its own metro, but Allentown is closer to and more connected with Philadelphia than New York (some Philly TV stations even include LV in their coverage) - and I don't see that changing.

I'm excited for this project but wish they'd do something a little more modern with the crown, at least. Would definitely love to see a public restaurant at the top - I'd totally make the 1.5 hour drive up there for dinner!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late1 View Post
Lehigh Valley is its own metro, but Allentown is closer to and more connected with Philadelphia than New York (some Philly TV stations even include LV in their coverage) - and I don't see that changing.

I'm excited for this project but wish they'd do something a little more modern with the crown, at least. Would definitely love to see a public restaurant at the top - I'd totally make the 1.5 hour drive up there for dinner!
Your correct about the proximity, and, not to belabor the point, I spoke from the standpoint of the USOMB which place the Lehigh Valley in the NYC Combined Statistical Area even though it is closer to Philadelphia. Same goes for Trenton which is even closer. I'm sure the OMB already realize that the NYC/Philadelphia CSAs have essentially merged, its just hasn't come up with a official definition to describe it. Nevertheless Allentown appears to be on the upswing and I think that's great.

Last edited by Antares41; Jan 15, 2015 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 3:19 AM
welcome to the madness

Looks kind of like Crescent City Residences in NOLA. Hope it doesn't have the same fate. Not a great design.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:55 PM

Does anyone have any updates on this project. Groundbreaking anytime soon?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc9258 View Post
Does anyone have any updates on this project. Groundbreaking anytime soon?
This is from June. Unsure if work has commenced.

Construction to start on 33-story Allentown Landmark Tower in fall, developer says

Quote:
Construction will start this fall on the 33-story Allentown Landmark Tower, which will be Pennsylvania's tallest building outside of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, the developer said.

Ascot Circle Realty recently purchased the land and air rights it needs to build the tower at Ninth and Walnut streets and plans to start construction in the fourth quarter of the year, Ascot President Bruce Loch said Thursday.

Ascot is close to signing both office and retail tenants for the building, which will include 24 floors of offices and two floors of retail, Loch said.

The tower will take between 18 and 21 months to construct and should be done by the end of 2017, Loch said.
Website (In keeping with the renders, it too has an outdated look to it): http://www.allentownlandmarktower.com/

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 3:31 AM

Allentown deserves this tower!!! I've always loved that city, as it's been my favorite city outside of Philadelphia!!!This project will help the city of Allentown grow and I hope that PA can do everything to make sure that the Lehigh Valley is well connected to it's largest city, Philadelphia!!! Congratulations, Allentown!!!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 2:51 PM

Any updates on the tower? I'd love to hear if the Landmark Tower is in some form of fruition!!! Pics, please?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Any updates on the tower? I'd love to hear if the Landmark Tower is in some form of fruition!!! Pics, please?
Lehigh Valley Business - LVB.com has and article by Brian Pedersen on October 23 about the tower. http://www.lvb.com/article/20171023/...llentown-tower

There ought to be some excitement over the news stated toward the end of the articlr relating to City Center 5.

Center City Allentown definitely has changed since I went to college there 30 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 7:58 PM

Developer gets extension on 33-story Landmark Tower plan in Allentown

Quote:
Now that two years have passed since the Allentown Planning Commission gave final approval to a plan for a 33-story tower in the city's downtown, the project's developer needs an extension so he can build it.

And on Tuesday, the planning commission extended the final project approval through July 2019, said Bruce Loch, developer of Landmark Tower and a Certified Public Accountant who leads an accounting and consulting firm in South Whitehall Township.

He has not started construction on the $70 million 220,000-square-foot-building, which would go up at the corner of Ninth and Walnut streets. However, the site is within the Neighborhood Improvement Zone, a lucrative tax incentive for tenants that allows for reduced rental rates and has fueled more than $1 billion in construction of new buildings and renovations of existing ones in the city’s downtown.

The plans call for two floors of retail, 24 floors of offices, seven floors of condominiums and access to a parking deck. W2A Design Group of Allentown is the architect.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals