HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 6:40 PM

I cannot imagine learning anything from Wedge, who is one of the bicycle zealots and frequently makes outrageous statements regarding the need for the rest of us to spend millions on a place for him and his pals to ride.

I also heard that one of the Saturday walks generated complaints. Apparently one of the guides was making questionable (some say racist) remarks and was reported to be very ill-prepared.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:07 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I cannot imagine learning anything from Wedge, who is one of the bicycle zealots and frequently makes outrageous statements regarding the need for the rest of us to spend millions on a place for him and his pals to ride.
I cannot imagine learning anything from Keith P, who is one of the Car zealots and frequently makes outrageous statements regarding the need for the rest of us to spend millions on a place for him and his pals to Drive.

...Fixed that For you.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:

I also heard that one of the Saturday walks generated complaints. Apparently one of the guides was making questionable (some say racist) remarks and was reported to be very ill-prepared.
Well if he rides a bike, say no more; how could we possibly take anything he says seriously if he chooses two wheels instead of four. sheesh.
I certainly hope Ziobrop didn't get himself into trouble, but that doesn't sound like him.

The freshwater brook; I'm guessing that the pond to the south of the School for the Blind was probably fed by that brook.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:26 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I certainly hope Ziobrop didn't get himself into trouble, but that doesn't sound like him.
I had 70 some people come out to follow me. I was shocked. I was expecting 20, at the most. I had notes. and a map. I Improvised some parts, and found fire hydrants/benches/etc. to stand on so i could be heard.

So yah, Big learning experience, but it was good, and well received. (and nothing raceist)

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
I had 70 some people come out to follow me. I was shocked. I was expecting 20, at the most. I had notes. and a map. I Improvised some parts, and found fire hydrants/benches/etc. to stand on so i could be heard.

So yah, Big learning experience, but it was good, and well received. (and nothing raceist)
I expected that you would have a good turnout, with such an interesting topic.

A year ago we had our house on the Dartmouth Historic house tour and had about 350 people over the two days. It was great fun.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:32 PM

Quote:

I was sorry to have missed your presentation, but had something come up this weekend that took up that time slot. I did manage to take in one on the Dartmouth side, so it wasn't a total loss.

Do you plan on a repeat performance next year?

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Keith, Keith, Keith, live and let live... I've been on both sides of the painted line and can say there's room for all of us. Can't we all just get along?

That actually sounds like it would have been an interesting janeswalk topic. Maybe next year...

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Keith, Keith, Keith, live and let live... I've been on both sides of the painted line and can say there's room for all of us. Can't we all just get along?
Trying to appease zealots only leads to oppression.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Trying to appease zealots only leads to oppression.

The problem is that the judgment of who is or is not a zealot often lies purely in the perspective of the person judging.

I'm trying to view this from a non-zealot point of view...

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 9:48 PM

The HRM tree experts on the Schmidtville walk pointed out that the trees grow because of water is incorrect and that growth comes from the atmosphere. Nobody challenged them. Trees are carbon sinks.

Last edited by Colin May; May 4, 2015 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 11:04 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
I was sorry to have missed your presentation, but had something come up this weekend that took up that time slot. I did manage to take in one on the Dartmouth side, so it wasn't a total loss.

Do you plan on a repeat performance next year?
possibly. im debating turning it into some sort of self guided walking tour guide/app.. stay tuned

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
possibly. im debating turning it into some sort of self guided walking tour guide/app.. stay tuned
Cruise ship passengers are often seen wandering aimlessly in metro - HRM is abysmal when it comes to understanding the tourism market and is verrrrry slowwwwwwwwww in responding to what visitors need.
It is almost 175 years since the Cunard mail ship arrived in Halifax. Have you heard Savage or Mason mention the anniversary ? Rick Grant covered it a year ago on CTV news when talking to that aging rocker travelling to Europe on the the QM.
You'll be able to market your app through the cruise lines but they'll want a nice cut. We need an app for downtown Dartmouth and I am nowhere near enough tech savvy to make one.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 4:34 AM

Quote:

The problem is that the judgment of who is or is not a zealot often lies purely in the perspective of the person judging.

I'm trying to view this from a non-zealot point of view...
Also in the judgement of who is oppressed. But I digress...I'm a person in a wheelchair who lives in a city of hills. I take the bus a lot. Sorry to hold you up in traffic, Keith, and sorry to cut you off in traffic, cyclists.

Ha, I'm oppressing everyone! Also a matter of perspective.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Also in the judgement of who is oppressed. But I digress...I'm a person in a wheelchair who lives in a city of hills. I take the bus a lot. Sorry to hold you up in traffic, Keith, and sorry to cut you off in traffic, cyclists.

Ha, I'm oppressing everyone! Also a matter of perspective.
Your perspective makes all the other complaints seem a little silly in comparison. My dad had a double amputation below the knees and a good friend who passed away a couple of years ago had used a wheelchair from the time he was a child, so I was able to see secondhand the challenges that you would face in navigating the city, and some of the simple things that the rest of us take for granted.

Thanks for offering up your thoughts on the matter. It should give us all pause for thought.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... this sounds interesting. Keep us in the loop!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment