Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:31 AM
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Forum member Late 1 did a nice photo-shop adding a second setback and 100' or so.

Late1 brainstorm - 2nd Setback

That's much improved. It looks better proportionally and more finished than the current incarnation. The unfinished appearance of the current incarnation is honestly my biggest issue with it.

Still, this is great for Philly and I hope this gets built ASAP either way.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:37 AM

Me Likes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsgrant View Post
forum member late 1 did a nice photo-shop adding a second setback and 100' or so.

late1 brainstorm - 2nd setback

now that's what i'm talking about! Very nice! Oh No, it's gone, was I dreaming that. Pennsgrant? I guess it was HIS OWN PRIVATE PHOTO, Hopefully someone else will photo shop the similar revised proposal.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
now that's what i'm talking about! Very nice! Oh No, it's gone, was I dreaming that. Pennsgrant? I guess it was HIS OWN PRIVATE PHOTO, Hopefully someone else will photo shop the similar revised proposal.
It's in post #101, immediately above your post.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:54 AM
them bones

^No thanks.

One thing I've learned visiting buildings by Foster over the years is that they represent WAY better in person than in renderings and photos. I doubt this will be any different. Great project for Philadelphia.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
It's in post #101, immediately above your post.
Thanks Philly Fan, Yes I see it, ain't that grand? Even if they keep the present design, I'm thrilled! What puzzles me is why didn't Comcast just claim the whole building, and build a second one for Four Seasons? I guess it's not in the budget, or the designs, or the deals that went down. (Maybe there will be several more skyscrapers in the near future, from what I've read. Philly is really bursting at the seams with all of these new projects coming forth!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 5:17 AM
Here we stAy

I do like the massing of Late1's mockup better than the actual proposal, but it will be interesting to see how the approval process goes with regards to tweaking the design. Hope it doesn't change too much.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 9:23 AM

What Comcast should of done was get rid of the spire, and raise the roof up to 999.9' and then have it like that. That would make all of us in Philadelphia happy.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 11:21 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Norman Foster does some nice work

I checked out some other work that Norman Foster was involved with. It's pretty cool stuff. Here is a cool example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearst_...New_York_City)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 2:50 PM

I wasn't really impressed when I first saw the design, but every time I look at it I like it more and more! It will be exciting to watch this go up.

As for adding another setback to the tower, that would make the top floors very narrow. Would they even be able to use floors that small?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quick question from an outsider, but longtime lurker.

What kind of permitting process will this building have to go through before being greenlighted for construction? Will neighborhood groups/review boards get a chance to hack at the design before the developer can start construction?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrinboston View Post

What kind of permitting process will this building have to go through before being greenlighted for construction? Will neighborhood groups/review boards get a chance to hack at the design before the developer can start construction?
Very little. There is no issue with height and NImbys don't have a prayer against Comcast. With City and State support it will be full steam ahead. The lot sits in the middle of skyscrapers.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrinboston View Post

I believe there are only a few small details to work out since the zoning from the failed ACC project still covers the site.

Also I agree with many of you, I didn't like it at first but it's starting to grow on me like a fungus.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:10 PM

I'm just pissed that I'll actually have to start checking the Supertall Construction sub-forum for Philly news.

NOT!

Looking forward to the construction photos starting this summer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
I checked out some other work that Norman Foster was involved with. It's pretty cool stuff. Here is a cool example:

If you like that, you should check this guy lebron james out, seems like he's pretty good at basketball.

Just kidding-- not to be snarky, but Foster is arguably the greatest living architect. His attention to textural details inside and out are unmatched.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 5:57 PM

A view of the retail podium. The subway passageway to Suburban Station is the only thing that is missing........

Larger Version: http://corporate.comcast.com/images/...endering-5.jpg

http://media.macon.com/smedia/2014/0...w.AuSt.55.jpeg

Last edited by Roadcruiser1; Jan 17, 2014 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 6:19 PM
BANNED

One stray thought: we should acknowledge a debt to the PSFS tower for part of the design of this building. The floors seemingly cantilever from the core which is located at one end instead of the center, allowing for 360 degree views. The PSFS was one of, if not *the*, first buildings to do this. It works especially well on the hotel floors and the restaurant at the top which will be open to the public.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 6:39 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew

If you like that, you should check this guy lebron james out, seems like he's pretty good at basketball.

Just kidding-- not to be snarky, but Foster is arguably the greatest living architect. His attention to textural details inside and out are unmatched.
You are snarky Londonee, and often times you are flat out rude, but I've come to expect that from you over the years. So no big deal.

I was giggling when I read you'e post. The comment about Lebron James was pretty funny. hehe

Last edited by Philly-Drew; Jan 18, 2014 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 6:43 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Roadcruiser1, or a moderator, can you please remove that pic above? It is killing this page on the mobile devices by shrinking the posts down.

Roadcruiser, putting very hi-Rez pics on the site can cause this issue. It's better if you use a lower Rez pic, or format it to fit better.

Thanks man,

Drew

Thanks roadcruiser1!

Last edited by Philly-Drew; Jan 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 1:39 AM

Wow! It's nice seeing US cities getting more action lately. American cities don't have the tendency to build 100's of short highrises. They go bold on a few selected projects. This one is certainly no exception.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 12:18 PM
Hello

I think this building is cool and will be amazing. The video as posted by Roadcruiser from the Corporate Comcast site shows how forward thinking and futuristic this building is. It will be transformational as far as work space is utilized. It is bringing the exploding University City research and development scene right into the heart of Center City. It is creating a synergy between the two. Philadelphia is emerging as a think tank for the future. Right in front of your eyes you can see the city's transition from old world, not to the present, but to the future. This continues Philadelphia's amazing re-birth. Again, we are further fortifying the core, which continues to grow, gentrify and expand the rings.

A parking lot is going to be replaced with a 1,121 foot supertall that houses 1,500 software designers, engineers, and product developers. That is good stuff.

Image Credit: Comcast Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I posted this on the building's thread, but........

Video Link
Video Credit: Comcast Corporation

As much as I like the building, I would like a supertall to be super tall. I like Late1's concept below and would take that, but to be more practical, I think it would just be easier to add to the existing design. If they proportionately add 9 floors - or 3 more "sky gardens" - to the vertical campus (9 floors x 15 feet = 135 feet) plus 3 floors to the hotel section (3 floors x 12 feet = 26 feet) and add 20 feet to the spire that would be an additional 191 feet bringing the building from 1,121 feet to 1,312 feet. I am certain as bright as Comcast's future world domination is, they will grow into the extra square footage. They may actually regret not doing this suggestion anticipating future growth.

One thing I really hope is not true is that the height was determined based on ego, where Brian Roberts said the roof height must be equivalent to the Comcast Center so that no one could "look down" upon him in his perch atop the Comcast Center. That is nothing more than pure speculation and I am certain economics played into the height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late1 View Post
In my case, I think you're right. My first reaction 24 hrs ago was that the building itself was rather grand - and while connecting wondrously with the city, it didn't really serve the skyline itself very well (at least from the vantage points provided by the press release - as someone else has mentioned here on SSP, the appearance of the CITC into the skyline from other vantage points, such as South Street Bridge and Sports Complex, should be spectacular.)

If you're right - that this tower is meant as a catalyst for another building to take the reign of Philadelphia's tallest - then this tower checks ALL the right boxes. If, however, this is the tallest tower we see in Philly for quite some time, then - while I still overall love this building and am happy to see it going up - part of me can't help but wish they would have added another setback at the top to take the roof to nearly 1,100 feet - with the blade extending even higher. Something along the lines of this:

By the way, anyone else notice that the existing setback sort of mimics the way Comcast Center appears almost like a setback to Bell Atlantic Tower from the Art Museum view?

That all being said, I am very excited Philadelphia is getting a SUPERTALL!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture