HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 3:12 AM

Well this would be the tallest in Columbus demolished I believe..around 150 feet. The Christopher Inn. Was very unique and interesting in a 60's kind of way-I really liked it(so of course they demolished it). I am not sure if it is still a parking lot or not at this time.

I think the largest buildings or building complexes demolished here were the State Penitentiary and the State Hospital(largest building sq. foot wise) in the US when built. Don't miss either one. The Pen was a terrible place with a history of executions and one of the worst fire disasters in US history with over 330 killed in a fire in the 1930's.

And the asylum? Parts of it were ok looking but it was again a terrible place and had negative associations galore. People referred to people losing their minds and 'going to the hilltop'..hardly a good association for a neighborhood of tens of thousands of people. Glad to see it gone. Of course they had a perfect spot and ruined it with the shit lowrise ugly state buildings they put on the site.*frown*

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 4:48 PM
let's work together

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Personally I wish that One Liberty Plaza,

Would be demolished in order to build:
The Singer Building
Well, I like One Liberty a lot, It's one of the beautiful black boxes in the world.

You can rebuild the nice Singer at the former location of 130 Liberty,

which had been severely damaged 9/11 and is now being demolished so it would be "all right"...(not okay but reasonable)
before you touch my "little cutie" One Liberty!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 5:02 PM

Everytime I see topics like this, I wanna kick Chicago in the balls! Granted if it had some.

I just get so damn infuriated whenever I see the jewels that Chicago demolished just because. Chicago's streetscape has been raped and there wasnt a single damned reason for it!!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSevenThree View Post
Chicago's streetscape has been raped and there wasnt a single damned reason for it!!
Well, there was a reason. . . they couldn't see the future of gentrifying gut-rehabs and downtown revitalization back then, you know. That was an era of slumlords and white flight.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 5:39 PM
Spire-ite

Interesting thread. I think Vegas is a huge source for this. From the old Aladdin, Dunes, Sands, soon to be Stratosphere, Boardwalk, Hacienda, etc., there are a lot of buildings that have come down just to build bigger hotels.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 6:10 PM
Ω

This thread is very depressing.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Well, there was a reason. . . they couldn't see the future of gentrifying gut-rehabs and downtown revitalization back then, you know. That was an era of slumlords and white flight.
So basically what youre saying is there wasnt a single damned reason for it, damnit.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 11:34 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Since they weren't terribly tall, I won't include any from Cleveland (tallest was only 16 floors/200ish feet), but here's a link for anyone who is interested:

http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/...emolished.html

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 12:39 AM

The metropolitan building in Minneapolis was built in 1890(218 feet), demoloshed in 1961...A terrible loss:

It had glass floors to allow natural light:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ the fort worth skyscraper was omitted because it was damaged by a tornado. as far as i know, the buildings on the list above were all perfectly fine, structurally sound buildings with no good reason to be torn down, other than to erect something larger in their place.

You may be thinking of the old Bank One Tower, which was eventually converted into condos. I don’t believe the Landmark tower was ever touched by the tornado; it had structural issues related to a big clock that sat on top for many years, poor maintenance and other problems.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 2:49 AM

The McCallum Hill building was Regina, Saskatchewan's first 'skyscraper' and was emploded (only building in the city's history to be imploded) on October 31, 1982 to make way for McCallum Hill Centre Twin Towers.

Looking N-NE

Before, looking N-NW:

After:
McCallum Hill Centre, looking N-NW

Last edited by sask1982; Dec 18, 2006 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 5:17 AM

Has there been many implosions in big cities like NY or Chicago (vs the dozens it seems like that have happened in Vegas)?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 7:02 AM
Eamus Catuli!!!

Implosions aren't allowed in Chicago under most conditions. It's a much slower brick by brick death here.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 10:33 AM
i love new york

and what about new york coliseum ?

torn down to make way for time warner center...

add to the list ^^

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymetalscraper View Post
and what about new york coliseum ?

torn down to make way for time warner center...

add to the list ^^
Ya that complex seemed to just pop up out of nowhere...does anyone have pictures of what was in its place before it was built?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 4:02 PM
let's work together

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
^ build a neo-singer/city investing where deutsche bank is/was?

-
EXACTLY!

You other guys: REPLY DAMMIT, REPLY!!!! Page 2!!!!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 5:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

In 98% of cases, what replaced the demolished structure was inferior to the original (esp. Singer Building, City Investing building, Savoy-Plaza, and, worst of all, the replacement of Penn Station in NYC).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2006, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
Has there been many implosions in big cities like NY or Chicago (vs the dozens it seems like that have happened in Vegas)?
They imploded some lakefront CHA projects about 5-10 years ago, shut down Lake Shore Drive, but otherwise there aren't many implosions around here.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2006, 9:28 PM
Website Manager

The BC Permenent Loan Company building was Victoria's tallest building when built, and was demolished in the 1970s because it's floor plan was considered ineffecient since modern open-plan office buildings were built. A six storey building replaced it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 4:32 PM

Dallascaper, the tornado did have an influence on the decision to demolish the Landmark Tower. The path took the twister to within one block of the Landmark, and some may argue that the building was actually in the path. The blocks in downtown Fort Worth are only 200' x 200', so the building did suffer damage from the storm. The debris blowing around was enough to damage the aluminum curtain wall beyond repair, and most of the windows on the north side of the building were blown out. The clock structure was also damaged enough that the city ordered the removal of the clock within 2 weeks of the event. There were five main reasons why the Landmark Tower was imploded:

1. Excessive amounts of asbestos
2. Structural issues from the original design of the building including adding the clock and floors before construction finished.
3. Curtain wall and exterior damaged beyond repair.
4. Previous owner gutted the building leaving nothing to be salvaged.
5. Small and inefficient floor plate.

The Bank One Tower was reborn into The Tower, now a residential condominium building with retail and a small amout of office space in a new base.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture