HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Apparently the west-side of Hogan Court the building under construction right now is a 110-room hotel called Springhill Suites with another hotel next to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
There is also a small commercial development on the opposite side of Hogan Court. Looks to be a small strip mall type of building.
Is it the hotel or a strip mall currently under construction at the roundabout? This plan shows the hotel.

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...5-Redacted.pdf

Source:
https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...5_Redacted.pdf

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...-court-bedford

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Is it the hotel or a strip mall currently under construction at the roundabout? This plan shows the hotel.
After some digging I can say with certainty it is the hotel and convention centre under construction at 5 Hogan Court. Here's why;

This is the site as it currently stands. The building is only one storey for now but there is evidence that more floors will be added. Between the fire hydrant and building there is the base for what will be the support column for the porte cochere. Also the declared value for the construction permit is $10 million which is too high for a simple strip mall or small scale commercial. The superstore site for comparison is listed at $5.6 million.

For anyone wondering Springhill Suites is a Marriott branded hotel with locations across North America. The closest location is currently in Montreal.

BTW i was just examining the site plan and it mentions Loblaws by name.

And here's a photo of the other side of Hogan Court. The foundation for Atlantic Superstore is visible along with the 200-unit residential building under construction at 90 Hogan Court. The current Halifax Planning case is asking for an additional 72 units which will be constructed on a much smaller lot in front of that building. The residential lot has already been subdivided for this outcome.

Both photos taken by me on July 14, 2020.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 12:53 PM

It is interesting to see this kind of construction. It is fairly rare locally, at least in recent years, to see a multi-storey building, especially a hotel or apartment type application, use steel construction. I am curious as to the rationale tbh.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:29 AM

Halifax Water is starting prep on a huge water reservoir tank off Merchant Court. I live on Starboard and no one received notice of this. Seems odd considering it is going to be a massive eyesore in an area that’s really starting to come along nicely. Really disappointing that this is the location they selected without consulting anyone in the community.

Link to Halifax Water’s website below:

https://halifaxwater.ca/project/heml...ervoir-project

Photos credited to Halifax Water:

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
Halifax Water is starting prep on a huge water reservoir tank off Merchant Court. I live on Starboard and no one received notice of this. Seems odd considering it is going to be a massive eyesore in an area that’s really starting to come along nicely. Really disappointing that this is the location they selected without consulting anyone in the community.

Link to Halifax Water’s website below:

https://halifaxwater.ca/project/heml...ervoir-project

Photos credited to Halifax Water:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the reason they didn't consult the community on the selection of the location is that the matter has been decided for at least twenty years https://imgur.com/a/zRuc1kO.

When the planning for the developments we see today began in the 90's, HRWC must have realized the pressure in the water system wouldn't have been sufficient without additional infrastructure - the most cost-effective choice at the time would likely have been a simple tank at one of the high-points of the development. Given that the whole area was planned through development agreement, they would have been in a position to force the developer of the lands to set aside land for the future location. It so happens it was Kimberly-Lloyd (aka Armco) as they were the first to develop in the area with Royal Hemlocks. HRWC likely would have held off on development of the tank until it was required for the system. Given how the area has sprouted up over the last 15 years, I'm surprised it took this long.

Point being, this was planned long ago and the engineering and planning constraints (i.e. most of the land in the area has been fully planned plus developers would not want such an eyesore in a development that they are trying to sell - Royal Hemlocks was sold long ago so its of no concern to that developer) makes it very difficult to move the location at this point.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midasmull View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the reason they didn't consult the community on the selection of the location is that the matter has been decided for at least twenty years https://imgur.com/a/zRuc1kO.

When the planning for the developments we see today began in the 90's, HRWC must have realized the pressure in the water system wouldn't have been sufficient without additional infrastructure - the most cost-effective choice at the time would likely have been a simple tank at one of the high-points of the development. Given that the whole area was planned through development agreement, they would have been in a position to force the developer of the lands to set aside land for the future location. It so happens it was Kimberly-Lloyd (aka Armco) as they were the first to develop in the area with Royal Hemlocks. HRWC likely would have held off on development of the tank until it was required for the system. Given how the area has sprouted up over the last 15 years, I'm surprised it took this long.

Point being, this was planned long ago and the engineering and planning constraints (i.e. most of the land in the area has been fully planned plus developers would not want such an eyesore in a development that they are trying to sell - Royal Hemlocks was sold long ago so its of no concern to that developer) makes it very difficult to move the location at this point.
In fact, the gravel pad for this has been there at least since the infrastructure for Masthead Ct. was put in. There is a 4ft. water main along the highway, with a 30" branch, coming into this site. Then, originating from this site are 3 large water mains at varying pressures to serve the surrounding areas. All of which has been in the ground for at least 15 years. I'm pretty sure public consultation at this point would be pretty much moot.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:50 PM

looks like a great location for a mural....

https://muralroutes.ca/mural/cp-rail-water-tower/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midasmull View Post

This is the kind of thing that your "Real Estate Agent" is supposed to tell you about, or at least their commercials would have you think they do, trying to justify their large commissions. Many developments/infrastructure are in planning for almost every neighbourhood in the city, but how often do Real Estate Agents actually research and disclose these to potential buyers?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:30 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Can't they plant trees around the site in advance of this being placed and then fill in with more afterwards.... At least one side could have more mature trees that way and it wouldn't be quite so out in the open.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:46 PM

Maybe HW could design a better looking tank, i.e. a structure that looks more like a building and less like a tank.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:23 PM
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Can't they plant trees around the site in advance of this being placed and then fill in with more afterwards.... At least one side could have more mature trees that way and it wouldn't be quite so out in the open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Maybe HW could design a better looking tank, i.e. a structure that looks more like a building and less like a tank.
I had the same thoughts. I get that water towers are not the most beautiful but surely we can do better than this, given the location. I suspect that with a small effort, someone more creative than I am could be engaged to come up with low-cost solutions to mitigate its impact; maybe just starting with a darker colour or a simple exterior finish with some way of breaking up the bleak industrial tank wall. And I agree that some trees surrounding it would go a long way.

Perhaps we could draw inspiration from these water towers (ha):

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/509117932853451805/

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...watertoren.jpg

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 11:47 AM

As someone who lives next to a water tank, I have to say they actually make pretty good neighbours. It's quiet, HW keeps it well-maintained, and the only traffic it creates is a once-weekly pickup truck. In my case the big field around the tank also functions as a park. As an added bonus, it's a good landmark for giving people directions.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
As someone who lives next to a water tank, I have to say they actually make pretty good neighbours. It's quiet, HW keeps it well-maintained, and the only traffic it creates is a once-weekly pickup truck. In my case the big field around the tank also functions as a park. As an added bonus, it's a good landmark for giving people directions.
I feel that if agents were more responsible to a fiduciary duty these issues would not come up as often.

This isn't an issue IMHO of a water tank going up. It's an issue of "I didn't know before" If people knew and bought anyway there would be no issue.

I have a friend who bought on Armenia Dr, the Bedford side of Larry Uteck and although she knew there were retail there on the other side of her she was unaware of 2 apartment buildings that were slated to go up. Now, she could have viewed the master plan online, but she didn't know she could do that, and of course her real estate agent didn't tell her. Although she is more disappointed than upset I'm sure she would have still bought if she was told about the whole plan for the neighbourhood as well.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
There is a water tower in my neighbourhood in Moncton. I admit I don't live near it, but the water tower doesn't bother me. It is close to several residential properties, but is closer to a power ROW and the Northwest Trail (a popular cycling/walking trail).

I actually like the design. It is a "pedestal style" water tower, not a cylinder as depicted in the render for the Bedford proposal, is nicely maintained and attractively painted. As you have noted, it is sort of a landmark in the neighbourhood.

Maybe some kind of accommodation can be reached. The issue may not be with the water tower per se, but with it's design.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 8:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

What about just painting it differently? What's the point of having the Halifax Water name and logo on there? It is a public utility that the city is largely stuck with, not a private company that needs to market its service against the competition.

They could do dazzle painting, or maybe paint Godzilla on the side of it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 2:02 PM

From Halifax ReTales:

Quote:
The new Bedford West SuperStore is going to bring a different Loblaws concept to town "City Market"
Which they often have in Urban Centre's concentrating on being a grocery store and enhanced ready to eat options (think Pete's but with regular groceries too and SS prices)

https://twitter.com/HalifaxReTales/s...32498601107458

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 2:06 PM
ハルウララ

I live very near to a CityMarket and although they look great inside I don't think there's really much of a difference from their usual Loblaws chains.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I live very near to a CityMarket and although they look great inside I don't think there's really much of a difference from their usual Loblaws chains.
It looks identical to their Loblaws stores I've been to in Ontario, which is a good thing.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 5:04 AM

As a cheese-lover in a wheelchair, I'm offended by the cheese being out of reach of all but Giant MacAskill and Anna Swan!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 6:05 AM
hi

"Highly conceptual" development plan for the remaining lands between Kearney Lake and Hwy 102, including the old quarry. 77 acres, 1.3km street frontage, total of 1,223 units or 2,752 residents.

There is also talk of upgrading / realigning the Kearney Lake Rd. @ 102 interchange.

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...d-west-bedford

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs