HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 11:38 PM
Skyriser

Found some information for "ASU Creative City Center" project #19-820. Studio Ma is the architect.

"Proposed new mixed-use building consisting of approx 141 student residential units with approx 11 floors." is the one plan review they have.

So 141 units, 400 beds? Makes sense.

Also, I wasn't aware ASU was exempted from demolition permits and historic resource requirements if those buildings on 1st Ave did indeed come down. Not a battle I particularly care about, although I would if I lived there.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 11:46 PM
Skyriser

Also, googling the above yields this interesting PDF ... On page 29 a "Global Culture Lab" has a big spot on the parking lot north of the Art Museum akin to the Creative City Center.

http://arizonagrantmakersforum.org/w...ntral-Idea.pdf

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I agree. ASU is taking up a just a tad bit too much Downtown land. Granted, ASU was a primary catalyst for the rebound of Downtown Phoenix, but now that Downtown has apparently hit it's stride, time for ASU to build a little taller and leave some space for future office, residential and retail.
I don't see why ASU continues to get a pass on its many broken promises re: its role in downtown Phoenix. Their original mission was to integrate classes and students into the existing city fabric and build vibrancy by activating buildings throughout the entire downtown area, with little new construction and certainly nothing resembling a 'campus' atmosphere. Flash-forward, and everything they have built has been within a distinct boundary, with low-rise, single-use cheap buildings that keep the students segregated from downtown totally. I mean, they built the Student Rec Center ADJACENT to the city YMCA, where the original forced integration was one of the few immediate benefits. Now, two buildings with redundant uses take up 1st Ave frontage along the park, with 1 sterilized for student use only, just like the historic buildings at Civic Space.

They keep expanding outward, and the Wexford project is a horrible addition to downtown. That is the prime district right now in downtown, and a full block is being wasted on generic medical space with 1 space for a cafe fronting Roosevelt Row. Also on the agenda is a parking structure akin to the one built at Fillmore/5th St. Why have they not integrated 3 stories of underground parking AT LEAST into every building so far? A standalone garage is totally out of place in 2019.

Allowing them to buy the land on 1st Ave north of the YMCA when they own so much vacant land already was a huge mistake. That a student housing project is being built on such a long assemblage is already crappy, but we have NO details on the design. I'd bet there is little to no retail space, leaving both sides of the park pretty much deadzones.

ASU and the PBC are outdated ideas that are blights to downtown's revitlization. ASU should focus on redesigning 411 Central to resemble a word-class university's main tower, with tenants like Barnes & Noble, Apple, Amazon, and local restaurants like Oreganos, PF Changs, etc., fronting the park. They should focus on redesigning its 1st Ave and Taylor Street frontages to incorporate more retail and bring in the downtown community rather than push them out.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 11:50 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I don't see why ASU continues to get a pass on its many broken promises re: its role in downtown Phoenix. Their original mission was to integrate classes and students into the existing city fabric and build vibrancy by activating buildings throughout the entire downtown area, with little new construction and certainly nothing resembling a 'campus' atmosphere. Flash-forward, and everything they have built has been within a distinct boundary, with low-rise, single-use cheap buildings that keep the students segregated from downtown totally. I mean, they built the Student Rec Center ADJACENT to the city YMCA, where the original forced integration was one of the few immediate benefits. Now, two buildings with redundant uses take up 1st Ave frontage along the park, with 1 sterilized for student use only, just like the historic buildings at Civic Space.

They keep expanding outward, and the Wexford project is a horrible addition to downtown. That is the prime district right now in downtown, and a full block is being wasted on generic medical space with 1 space for a cafe fronting Roosevelt Row. Also on the agenda is a parking structure akin to the one built at Fillmore/5th St. Why have they not integrated 3 stories of underground parking AT LEAST into every building so far? A standalone garage is totally out of place in 2019.

Allowing them to buy the land on 1st Ave north of the YMCA when they own so much vacant land already was a huge mistake. That a student housing project is being built on such a long assemblage is already crappy, but we have NO details on the design. I'd bet there is little to no retail space, leaving both sides of the park pretty much deadzones.

ASU and the PBC are outdated ideas that are blights to downtown's revitlization. ASU should focus on redesigning 411 Central to resemble a word-class university's main tower, with tenants like Barnes & Noble, Apple, Amazon, and local restaurants like Oreganos, PF Changs, etc., fronting the park. They should focus on redesigning its 1st Ave and Taylor Street frontages to incorporate more retail and bring in the downtown community rather than push them out.
Critics of ASU's downtown presence have unrealistic views of how university campuses operate. Even some of the most urban campuses have distinct spaces that are their own. Building that way allows for a sense of campus identity, a greater feeling of security, and efficiencies in maintenance and operations. Very few universities anywhere in the country operate with a building here and a building there with blocks of non-university property in between. When they do, it's typically out of necessity and not by choice.

Your grand plans for retail in the buildings sound great, but only if there is sufficient demand for that retail and only if you somehow have fiat power to make those desirable retail tenants come downtown. The city forced Boyer to put ground floor retail in the PBC garage. Nearly five years later, not a single square foot has been leased. If Apple or Barnes and Noble see a market downtown, they'll find a location. In the absence of demonstrable demand, I'd say your plan would produce more blight than anything ASU has done.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Critics of ASU's downtown presence have unrealistic views of how university campuses operate. Even some of the most urban campuses have distinct spaces that are their own. Building that way allows for a sense of campus identity, a greater feeling of security, and efficiencies in maintenance and operations. Very few universities anywhere in the country operate with a building here and a building there with blocks of non-university property in between. When they do, it's typically out of necessity and not by choice.

Your grand plans for retail in the buildings sound great, but only if there is sufficient demand for that retail and only if you somehow have fiat power to make those desirable retail tenants come downtown. The city forced Boyer to put ground floor retail in the PBC garage. Nearly five years later, not a single square foot has been leased. If Apple or Barnes and Noble see a market downtown, they'll find a location. In the absence of demonstrable demand, I'd say your plan would produce more blight than anything ASU has done.
This!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:32 PM
Modulator

Pandra Express Coming to Former Hsin Cafe Spot

Posting this here since it will be in the ASU campus:

Quote:
Panda Express is coming to downtown Phoenix.

The fast-casual Chinese restaurant chain will move into a vacant retail location on Arizona State University's downtown campus. Signs heralding its arrival are posted in the windows of a ground-floor space at student dormitory Taylor Place.

The space, just south of First and Fillmore streets, formerly was occupied by Hsin Cafe. That restaurant, which served Chinese dishes and boba drinks, closed in February after nearly nine years in business.

It is unknown when Panda Express is expected to open.

Taylor Place is home to several restaurants, including Starbucks and Chick-fil-A.

Panda Express is the largest Asian cuisine restaurant chain in the U.S., with more than 2,000 locations nationwide.

The Valley's restaurant scene has continued to grow thanks to the region's booming economy. Check out our most recent monthly roundup of new restaurant openings (and the few closures) for June below.
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-phoenix.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:08 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Posting this here since it will be in the ASU campus:

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-phoenix.html
It will fit right in with Starbucks, Subway, and Chick-fil-A. I'm sure we're hear some groaning about national chains, and I sort of agree. On the other hand, it's a good sign for downtown that these well-known brands are interested in having a presence there.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It will fit right in with Starbucks, Subway, and Chick-fil-A. I'm sure we're hear some groaning about national chains, and I sort of agree. On the other hand, it's a good sign for downtown that these well-known brands are interested in having a presence there.
I mean, they are built into the dorm so I think that's fine.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:13 PM

Great news. This city needs more quick lunch options for people who don't want to (or can't) pay $12 lunch prices not including a drink or tip.

We discussed this before but maybe I've presented it in a way that makes more sense this time.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 7:57 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/business/educ...=ReviveOldPost

Isn't ASU planning to demolish the Mercado and build something entirely new in the near future? Seems counterintuitive to move the Barrett students there and create new classroom/faculty space, if they intend to boot them out at some point. Unless ASU decided to keep the Mercado, but there's no mention of that in the article.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Isn't ASU planning to demolish the Mercado and build something entirely new in the near future? Seems counterintuitive to move the Barrett students there and create new classroom/faculty space, if they intend to boot them out at some point. Unless ASU decided to keep the Mercado, but there's no mention of that in the article.
Yes but if I remember correctly that isnt until like 25' or 26' so they can have Barrett in there for years still

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 11:32 PM
Skyriser

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Quote:
As the Phoenix Biomedical Campus across the street — at the southwest corner of Seventh and Van Buren — has continued to grow, the master plan calls for eventually taking over the Mercado property, said Rick Naimark, associate vice president for program development planning for ASU.

By 2024, the property's ownership will transfer to the city of Phoenix, said Christine Mackay, economic development director for the city.

"In the future, we'll be working to redevelop all that property as much more dense," she said. "We're talking seven, maybe eight, years from now."
I assume that building is still plenty serviceable. It's not that old and ASU moves hella slow anyways.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 12:09 AM

Wexford rendering I had not seen, really demonstrates how big this building will actually be.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

I assume that building is still plenty serviceable. It's not that old and ASU moves hella slow anyways.
ASU moves hella slow? They are adding 5-10k new students every year, throwing up buildings like crazy, popping up a new campus per year, and creating dozens and dozens of programs each year. Moving Barrett there this year seemed like a snap decision, and I'm guessing they'll move them again whenever the numbers work out. ASU is a lot of things, but slow ain't one of them.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:19 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
ASU moves hella slow? They are adding 5-10k new students every year, throwing up buildings like crazy, popping up a new campus per year, and creating dozens and dozens of programs each year. Moving Barrett there this year seemed like a snap decision, and I'm guessing they'll move them again whenever the numbers work out. ASU is a lot of things, but slow ain't one of them.
He may just be referring to how fast ASU builds stuff in Downtown Phoenix. Wexford is only the second ASU downtown campus building getting built since I've moved here 6 years ago (the first being the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law building). Compared to Tempe which seems to build 2 or 3 new buildings every year, I can see how that that feels kinda slow. I would like to see more than 2 ASU buildings get built in a 6 year time-frame downtown. Hopefully this will change with the upcoming Thunderbird and new ASU residential towers in the pipeline.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
He may just be referring to how fast ASU builds stuff in Downtown Phoenix. Wexford is only the second ASU downtown campus building getting built since I've moved here 6 years ago (the first being the Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law building). Compared to Tempe which seems to build 2 or 3 new buildings every year, I can see how that that feels kinda slow. I would like to see more than 2 ASU buildings get built in a 6 year time-frame downtown. Hopefully this will change with the upcoming Thunderbird and new ASU residential towers in the pipeline.
Its more that they swallowed up several square blocks of prime downtown land nearly a decade ago and they are very slow to develop it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Its more that they swallowed up several square blocks of prime downtown land nearly a decade ago and they are very slow to develop it.
That makes sense. Agreed.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 9:50 PM

Groundbreaking on the Thunderbird School set for Oct 7th

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:11 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post

Groundbreaking on the Thunderbird School set for Oct 7th
About time. This one has taken longer than some towers in downtown to get started

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
About time. This one has taken longer than some towers in downtown to get started
AWSOME!

Now if only that giant whole block data center would move or be included in a redevelopment.

That is now a prime lot, that and the Chase Parking lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest