HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 5:38 PM

Do you mean like war or 9-11? I guess that would be depressing.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I have always loved our capital building, its location and it's design are very stately and prominent in the city. I am glad they set aside the money to refurbish and update is seismically. I hope that the vision of the landscaping plans grows to maturity, that will be one magnificent place.
Me too Future Mayor, especially the elyptical path of cherry trees. That will be a great location for a walk during the Spring, with the Wasatch peaks in the background.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 7:13 AM
Bring out the cranes...

So I saw a base of a Crane on the old Inn at Temple square site where the plan 32-story Condo tower will go. I bet within a few weeks we could see crews put up the tall Crane. This is great since Salt Lake City hasn't seen a Tall Crane in years.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Yeah, from what I understand, the Tourism in Utah is having difficulties.
I love beautiful places like Bryce Canyon. BTW, what do you call those wind-carved canyon towers? I forgot.
The rock formations in Bryce Canyon are called hoodoos.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
So I saw a base of a Crane on the old Inn at Temple square site where the plan 32-story Condo tower will go. I bet within a few weeks we could see crews put up the tall Crane. This is great since Salt Lake City hasn't seen a Tall Crane in years.

dowtownrising.com

Hopefully, the current list of projects, and those pending mystery towers yet to be announced, will end the drought of tower construction downtown. While it's nice to see the dozens of class A business centers being built like crazy throughout the metro and close to peoples homes, I would like to see the downtown break through the 30 something ceiling and into the 40's and 50's. I guess it will have to happen soon enough. I mean a CSA of 2.2 million and expanding at the third fastest rate in the nation will keep the pressure on for taller and taller.

Last edited by delts145; Jan 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 11:38 PM

Sugarhouse District Update, January 30, 2008

Bulldozers changing face of Sugar House

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...248435,00.html

Tim Hussin, Deseret Morning News

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 4:44 PM

Downtown - Angelina's Corner - Under Construction

PROJECT B: ANGELINA'S CORNER CONDOMINIUMS

Salt Lake City, Utah

After purchasing several blighted buildings and assembling 1.5 acres, MEDC broke ground on its first condominium development. All units will be for sale, and 6 of the 31 units are reserved for families or individuals at or below 80% of area median income. For more information on how to qualify for our matching down payment assistance, contact us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
Delts, in response to your question about the Kirtland Condos,and that area of town. All within 1.5 blocks of this building you have....

phase one of Angelina's Corner U/C.... you can see it in the photos SLC shot of the Kirtland Condos.

There will be a phase 2 Angelina's Corner. It will include 60-70 condos and will be located directly south of phase 1. It is scheduled/said to begin construction as soon as phase 1 is finished. So, We'll see.

You have the Sodo Lofts, 975 south Washington Street. 18 loft units. It is currently U/C. The elevator core appears to be 4 floors tall. They have already 3 floors framed so far.

The RDA is also asking for a mixed-use high density development on 900 south and 150 west. Its the site of the old Sure Appliances store. They are currently demolishing the old building as we speak. I'm guessing we will see atleast a 4-6 story building go on this lot as well.

So, as you can see, This area of town is starting to look like a nice dense residential neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 5:10 PM

Unlike other State Capitol Buildings, this one has the best scenery, in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 1:25 PM

Salt Lake City - Metro - Update/February 1st, 2008

Spectacular Frank Gehry Project begins to take its design shape as it goes before community leaders

UPDATE, Lehi Project still in planning stage

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/253628/

February 1st, 2008 "It is a great project." In February we are going to be releasing designs for buildings and a redesign of the layout of the development. This unveiling will not disappoint, I promise... It screams UTAH but with the postmodern paintbrush of Frank."

Southern Utah's famous scenery will become a catalyst for Gehry's design inspiration

Most recently released model, soon to be updated

Frank Gehry
Urban Salt Lake's dramatic western face of Mount Timpanogos, which will frame Gehry's spectacular skyline

Eastern face of same mountain: Mount Timpanogos

Photo by Eric Godfrey

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 5:16 PM

I really like that Utah is getting a project from Gehry but I only wish that this could be in downtown Salt Lake City and not in Lehi. I can't help but wonder if the demand is that great for office or even condo space in Lehi. The demand would be far greater in the heart of the capital city and not a 45 minute drive from the airport. Larger businesses tend to like having a large airport close to their locations so that executives and sales staff don't have so far to go. Great project, wrong location imo.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 5:44 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I'm sort of along the same line of thinking. Like that we are getting a Gehry project but think Lehi is a really lame place for such a huge project. It's not like it's transforming a former run down industrial area in the city or an area that is an older smaller business district into something great it's a damn field. I know Lehi is booming but speaking from a commercial/office stand point, It's really in the middle of nowhere. I think it will look cool but slightly out of place.

It is 100% car dependent, as of right now, and as T-mac said it is 45 minutes away from the airport.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 6:25 PM

Guys, I hear ya, but don't forget this is a mixed-use development, with a very heavy emphasis on 'mixed'. First it is meant as a 'Destination Resort.' This follows the vision of Thanksgiving Point, with its champioship golf course,world class gardens, museums, etc. The towers will be part Class A office, part luxury boutique hotel and part upscale residential. As far as commuter rail, Front-Runner is about to begin building it's line, which will pass right by this development. The location is phenominal as far as convenience, and is far more ideally suited to Northern Utah Valley, again the top growth area now in the State. Also, it will be built in phases, as demand increases in that particularly hyper-booming area. From my own personal viewpoint, the luxury office demand is tremendous at this location, as has already been proven across the street at Thanksgiving Point. Even in this very tricky residential market right now, I see hundreds of new-build luxury condos,single family housing, and monster homes going up at this time in this immediate area. Not only this particular Gehry plot, but some of the country's most attractive planned communities will be building to the immediate East along the bench of Traverse Ridge. Actually, this building has already begun. The list goes on and on, as to what this area will become in the next ten years.

Downtown Salt Lake is just not feasible for a development (Traverse Ridge) of this size. The Gehry Project, while flashy and an attention grabber, is but a fraction of the over-all picture for the immediate area. We're talking hundred's of acres in tandem, within a few short years. The huge attraction of this area is first it's location and second, the fact that it has been a blank slate of comparitively affordable property, when it was purchased by the developers.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 1, 2008 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 6:48 PM

Sorry Delts, I have to disagree with you on this one. I generally don't disagree with you but on this one I have to. Does Lehi really have the market to sell highrise condos to? It seems as more a family destination than a place to live with no where for the kids to run. I know that it is trying to become a destination point but I think that there audience is still way too narrow. I understand Thanksgiving Point and Cabela's and all but does it deserve to have the hotel there be the tallest building in Utah. I think that if this is not done over many, many years, the developer will be filing bankruptcy before it is all said and done.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:09 PM
Bring out the cranes...

The Gerhy project of it's size would be too big to fit downtwon. It would take up like eight blocks or so. However I know alot of it is due to that plan man make lake, but I like the lake idea and all the open space. If Gerhy would put it downtown where would there a good spot?...Ideas?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:36 PM

Whether or not Lehi deserves this project I think it will still be a huge success. Urban lovers who were born and raised in Utah county and are loyal to that community might choose to live in that development rather than move to SLC. Plus there are a lot of older couples who might want to retire in a place where they don't have to take care of a yard.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post

Sorry Delts, I have to disagree with you on this one. I generally don't disagree with you but on this one I have to. Does Lehi really have the market to sell highrise condos to? It seems as more a family destination than a place to live with no where for the kids to run. I know that it is trying to become a destination point but I think that there audience is still way too narrow. I understand Thanksgiving Point and Cabela's and all but does it deserve to have the hotel there be the tallest building in Utah. I think that if this is not done over many, many years, the developer will be filing bankruptcy before it is all said and done.
Hey T-Mac, I totally understand what your saying. I think when the actual mix of percentages on the tower are given,(percent of residents,hotel rooms and office suites) it will probably make sense. Also, I'm thinking the luxury hotel/residence could be fractional offerings. This has proven extremely popular with luxury resorts, such as Deer Valley.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post

Does Lehi really have the market to sell highrise condos to?
I guess we'll find out.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 5:50 AM
Bring out the cranes...

City Creek Center project update!!!
Feb. 1, 2008

Here are some of the photos I took today as crews begin work on the underground parking as well as the 32-story tower.

Rendering of the 32-story Condo Tower.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 3:58 PM

Great pics bud, Hey, you left out the ZCMI Main Street demolition!!!

by SLC Projects - demolition of ZCMI block approaching completion

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 3:53 PM

Downtown - Future Project by Future Mayor

I'm anxious for you to get your but back here to the Wasatch and start your projects!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I had to tell someone that would understand or might get as excited about this as me. I have made some initial massing models for another development in SLC. While I won't give any details regarding where I plan to do this (wouldn't want my idea to get stolen) here are some renderings from a project near me that is my basic inspiration for my SLC project.

The elevations differ in design and height depending on what the massing of the street they are facing is.

Here is the link to the site
http://www.theavenuedistrict.com/newlayout/

Last edited by delts145; Feb 3, 2008 at 4:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations