HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 3:06 PM

It's funny that the complaints about this design are that it stands out too much from its neighbors and is set back from the street etc. I think it's quite the opposite. Firstly this design is very much complementary of that wonderfully skinny 70s building next to it. In fact, it is so complementary that I think it actually begins to absorb that structure into the composition as a whole. The setback is actually extremely important in preventing this design from totally overshadowing that sliver of a building by leaving a small amount of the party wall exposed.

That brings me to my next point: how is everyone on here so vehemently outraged at the concept of any blank wall anywhere even if its 15 floors off the ground? I rather like the small sliver building explicitly for its soaring party walls and tiny amount of surface are dedicated to glass. I'm glad this building is not crammed all the way up against the street totally overshadowing its much daintier neighbor. Blank party walls are a major part of the texture of the city and leaving a small slice of the party wall of the tiny neighboring building exposed does a great job of leaving the impressive massing of that miniscule structure for all to see while still drawing it into the composition of its new companion to a certain degree.

I think I'm a big fan of this design.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It looks like the conversion of offices above the Oriental Theater into an apartment got its building permits on Thursday. Floors 2 through 9.
Okay. I looked at the address wrong. This is actually 55 E Washington - Pittsfield Building. Floors 2 through 9 are becoming a hotel of 191 rooms. The owner is Cambean Hospitality out of Miami Beach who own and operate at least one boutique hotel in Miami Beach.

Anybody know anything about this? I know there are already some apartment type hotel properties in the building, but this seems like a more official type of hotel. I did a Google search and saw a lawsuit between Cambean and Morgan Reed Group.

Quote:
In April, an affiliate of another Miami Beach firm, Cambean Hospitality, filed a lawsuit against Morgan Reed entities alleging that they failed to keep up their end of an agreement to develop part of the building into a hotel.
Looks as if Cambean won that and is going to put yet another hotel in the Loop. The group operates this:
http://www.majesticsouthbeach.com/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 6:51 PM
The City

^ I don't know, but the Oriental Theater building will be going hotel as well, as opposed to apartments

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I thought so too. However, what's on the plan commission meeting could be another developer. Pretty sure Elly's has a different address.
The plan was always to demolish the theater but retain the facade, which received a landmark designation a couple years ago. Not entirely sure what is going behind the theater facade, but I think it is retail and the podium for the new tower proposed next door.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 9:13 PM

Today
1001 S. State

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
how is everyone on here so vehemently outraged at the concept of any blank wall anywhere even if its 15 floors off the ground?
Because for cases like this, it's not a design element. That wall on the lot line was always meant to be covered up by a neighboring building, it wasn't meant to be seen and doesn't contribute anything. Everything about that skinny building that matters in on the face, that's the texture that it contributes. And instead of its texture complimenting/contrasting with the next building, there's a gap, an offset.
What it does to me is make the new building look clunky and not thought out. Like the architect was only given the lot dimensions and had absolutely no idea what was next to it. It ignores the older building, tries to pretend its not even there. I like its texture, just wish there was a clean seam.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 1:06 AM

Re: the post-fire building about to be demolished in the 200 block of W. Lake --

For what it's worth, this building is prominently on display (granted, a view from the SW) and will be immortalized forever in the opening credits of Good Times.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 7:14 PM

Quote:
It's funny that the complaints about this design are that it stands out too much from its neighbors and is set back from the street etc. I think it's quite the opposite. Firstly this design is very much complementary of that wonderfully skinny 70s building next to it. In fact, it is so complementary that I think it actually begins to absorb that structure into the composition as a whole. The setback is actually extremely important in preventing this design from totally overshadowing that sliver of a building by leaving a small amount of the party wall exposed.

That brings me to my next point: how is everyone on here so vehemently outraged at the concept of any blank wall anywhere even if its 15 floors off the ground? I rather like the small sliver building explicitly for its soaring party walls and tiny amount of surface are dedicated to glass. I'm glad this building is not crammed all the way up against the street totally overshadowing its much daintier neighbor. Blank party walls are a major part of the texture of the city and leaving a small slice of the party wall of the tiny neighboring building exposed does a great job of leaving the impressive massing of that miniscule structure for all to see while still drawing it into the composition of its new companion to a certain degree.

I think I'm a big fan of this design.
Ridiculous. The party wall was meant to be covered. Only did architects back in the early part of the last century have consideration for interim exposure by embellishing some of the masonry and occasional fenestration. I can see that contributing to the urban texture. This wall? No. Besides we have enough faceless blank walls prominently visible on parking podiums.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 9:15 PM

Site Photos Capture 4 East Elm Construction Progress

Quote:
A Forum contributor paid a visit to the site recently and snapped photos of the construction progress. The reflective blue glass has almost fully sealed the building's skeleton, which has reached its apex. Stone installation on the base continues adjacent to the bare concrete and wood panelling that indicate the location of the construction hoist. Full occupancy is expected in 2016.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 9:51 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

4 East Elm is looking pretty good!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 10:06 PM
THAT Guy

^Other than to drive web traffic to that new forum, I'm not sure why you are re-posting george's photos from several weeks ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
11/26
4 E Elm

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 6:10 PM

lots of activity in this photo I took this morning

Foreground - SL- Sedgewick and Locust
NEXT - orleans & chestnut
750 N. Hudson
400 W. Huron
444 W. Lake

behind me was Niche 905 N. Orleans, couldn't even get that in the photo with my crappy camera hehe

Last edited by Near North Resident; Dec 16, 2015 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 6:20 PM

^^ Love it!!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 1:10 AM
BANNED

Some broken windows on the south wall of 1001 S State. Looks like internal materials blew around.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:08 PM

Quote:
FYI, the tower crane base is already in for the Logan twins and they have already packed up the foundation equipment. They sure are wasting no time.
Crane is rising!

Last edited by sage; Dec 16, 2015 at 5:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:11 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...est-loop-hotel

December 16, 2015
Equinox fitness chain plans West Loop hotel
By Alby Gallun

Quote:
Equinox, where people go to sweat, now wants to give them a place in Chicago to sleep.

The New York-based company that runs the Equinox fitness club chain plans to open a 145-room hotel with the same name in a West Loop project proposed by Related Midwest, said Bob Aiken, vice president of the Neighbors of the West Loop, a group that met with the developer about the proposal Dec. 14.

The 369-foot tower at 723-729 W. Randolph St. also would include about 20 condominiums on top, he said. The hotel-condo plan marks a shift for Chicago-based Related Midwest, which had been considering about 100 condos on the site.

Equinox Holdings went public this year with a plan to extend its fitness brand into hospitality by rolling out a new hotel chain for health-conscious travelers. In April, the company said it would open its first hotel in 2018 in the Hudson Yards development on Manhattan's west side, a project by Related Cos., a major investor in Related Midwest and majority owner of Equinox. The new chain aims eventually to have 75 hotels worldwide.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:15 PM

I truly can't wait to see the latest architectural gem Related deems fit to graciously bestow on us uncultured savages.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:27 PM

Hotels, residential and retail space in the works at Lake Meadows
Quote:
By Alby Gallun
The owner of the Lake Meadows housing complex on the South Side wants to redevelop part of the property with more homes, retail space and even hotels.

Draper & Kramer has filed plans with the city for 230 residential units, two towers that could include hotels or commercial space, and 162,000 square feet of additional retail space at Lake Meadows, a massive housing project the Chicago developer built in the 1950s.

The proposal is part of a broader plan by Draper & Kramer to triple the number of housing units in the complex, to 7,845 units, up from about 2,000 currently. The Chicago Plan Commission and City Council approved that plan in 2010, but Draper & Kramer has yet to move forward with the project.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...t-lake-meadows

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ great news that D&K finally wants to start on lake meadows.

does anyone here live/work in the vicinity of the tower of jewel (the sinclair)?

have those caisson rigs that showed up last week started drilling?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...est-loop-hotel

December 16, 2015
Equinox fitness chain plans West Loop hotel
By Alby Gallun
The first hotel they announced was Hudson Yards opening in 2018. However, who believes this thing could actually become their first hotel?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations