HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I think the city's in desperate need of a Chelsea Piers-style sports complex. Or a Berlin-style Beach Bar and pool barge.
I’ve been calling for, at the very least, a driving range on the Delaware someplace near Center City for 20years…. It would make a killing.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I’ve been calling for, at the very least, a driving range on the Delaware someplace near Center City for 20years…. It would make a killing.
A Top Golf on the riverfront would do very well.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Really hope this happens! Domb for Mayor 2023! If Maria or Helen Gym win... we're screwed.
I doubt Gym will run and I totally disagree that MQS would not be capable. She seems like someone who gets stuff done and is pragmatic- she is not a die hard ideologue.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I don’t want to see him go either but he is almost 70 years old. We will see who else runs but I don’t think he has the worst odds. A lot of people like him.
I didn't know he was almost 70, so that being said its time for some younger people who represent what he represents to run for council. We do not have a lot of business people willing to run for office here so people can't be mad about the people that do run and win. You have to get in the game to compete and in spite of all the high minded talk in certain circles about the need for change and the supposed poor performance of the current crop you do not see many "reformers" getting involved- they just stay on the sidelines and throw stones.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:19 PM
Chris

A small change with positive impacts.

Coming to Philly this fall: Bike lane patrol officers

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-bike-lane-patrol/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
A small change with positive impacts.

Coming to Philly this fall: Bike lane patrol officers

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-bike-lane-patrol/
Great! Although I remember hearing about this a few months ago. Anyone know if this is the same program or different?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Great! Although I remember hearing about this a few months ago. Anyone know if this is the same program or different?
Yeah we'll see how it goes. I remember when we had a big announcement a few years ago that Police Officers would be patrolling key intersections in Center City to make sure cars weren't double parking/blocking the box to improve traffic flow and decrease congestion... I have not witnessed this once; and the problem has only gotten worse with the Uber double-parkers.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 7:01 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Regional Rail

https://planning.septa.org/projects/...l-master-plan/

Remember how we were all confused about Scenario 3 with the Reimagining Regional Rail? (Basically it integrates all train service providers, Septa, Amtrak etc to work on one fare aka Septa Key.)

I found a video from the Septa Workshop in May explaining all scenarios, which one is the best, and how many people were polled in the survey which was 5,000+ people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4E4Kw84j9A

Good stuff starts at 20 Minute mark.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Sadly as areas of Kensington are redone, people will just keep pushing up the EL and out towards other neighborhoods, until those neighborhoods are just like how under the EL is now. And this process will Rinse, and Repeat which every old section getting redone.

As we see due to the process of gentrification, more people are moving to the older North East homes which are now cheaper then before..
But the Northeast isn't cheap anymore. Prices there are being pushed up by immigrants moving from NYC. An airlite in Mayfair is $300K.

The old narrative about the Northeast falling further into disrepair etc have already been debunked. Many of the fastest growing zipcodes in the most recent census were in NE Philly (thanks to immigration).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 8:24 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
But the Northeast isn't cheap anymore. Prices there are being pushed up by immigrants moving from NYC. An airlite in Mayfair is $300K.

The old narrative about the Northeast falling further into disrepair etc have already been debunked. Many of the fastest growing zipcodes in the most recent census were in NE Philly (thanks to immigration).
Prices are pushing up due to that whole crazy Real-estate rush we just had along with just natural appreciation of homes. 200,000+ for a home is still pretty good price for a NE Home.

I lived in Oxford Circle last year right around Cheltenham & Horrocks. All year the two beer corner stores across the street were a party everyday, litter growing, robberies & shootings happening at the gas station & corner stores.

Same thing with Olney. Anyone ive talked to about the area who bought a home there in the early 2000’s said the area was excellent. It started to change after people either sold their homes or moved & started renting them out.

But in respect to the whole NE its a much different experience then the rest of the city a majority of it is good, however a good amount of it is starting the cycle of decline & renew.

Where in the NE is there new construction? This area will start in 10-20 more years, but for now I would label the area as stable.

Now if we are talking about north of Cottman that doesnt count. Thats a whole different story.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Where in the NE is there new construction? This area will start in 10-20 more years, but for now I would label the area as stable.
Funny enough, I actually did see some new construction listings in Tacony the other day:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...!4d-75.0413893

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 2:26 PM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 2:35 PM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 4:13 PM
Chris

Interesting article.

A thought while reading this... There is a constant cry about affordable housing, but rarely mention of job creation, trades training, opportunities for longtime residents to get involved in the booming U City economy. Philadelphia median income rates are still near the bottom among large cities. That is the real issue (IMO), but is often overlooked by leaders (maybe intentionally).

I am not against affordable housing, I know it's needed, but the concern seems inflated considering the amount of vacant buildings and lots scattered around the city, many owned by PHA or the city. Yet Jamie Gauthier seems to view issues through silos and puts the burden or blame on developers and gentrification...

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Aug 17, 2022 at 4:31 PM. Reason: edited points

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Interesting article.

A thought while reading this... There is a constant cry about affordable housing, but rarely mention of job creation, trades training, opportunities for longtime residents to get involved in the booming U City economy. Philadelphia median income rates are still near the bottom among large cities. That is the real issue (IMO), but is often overlooked by leaders (maybe intentionally).

I am not against affordable housing, I know it's needed, but the concern seems inflated considering the amount of vacant buildings and lots scattered around the city, many owned by PHA or the city. Yet Jamie Gauthier seems to view issues through silos and puts the burden or blame on developers and gentrification...
how does a low income person turn a vacant lot or home into affordable housing? While the average price of a home is "affordable" here vs DC or Boston that really means nothing to people here who make way less than the average person in those cities. The problem may not be as bad as it is in some places, but the costs for housing, especially for rentals have way outpaced what many make here. The truth is somewhere in the middle, you may feel certain politicians are overstating the problem and I would argue developers who claim any new rules designed to generate more affordable units will kill development are overstating that problem.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Interesting article.

I agree 100%. I believe it's been said more than once on these pages that Philadelphia doesn't have an affordability problem, it has a poverty problem. To me, a city that is unaffordable means that teachers, trash haulers, cops, blue collars, city employees, etc. are completely priced out of decent neighborhoods. Like Manhattan, SF, or Seattle. That's not the case in Philadelphia at all. There are plenty of middle-income neighborhoods that are affordable provided you have a decent-ish job.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
how does a low income person turn a vacant lot or home into affordable housing? While the average price of a home is "affordable" here vs DC or Boston that really means nothing to people here who make way less than the average person in those cities. The problem may not be as bad as it is in some places, but the costs for housing, especially for rentals have way outpaced what many make here. The truth is somewhere in the middle, you may feel certain politicians are overstating the problem and I would argue developers who claim any new rules designed to generate more affordable units will kill development are overstating that problem.
I think we really need the PHA to develop mixed use/ mixed income housing (townhomes, condos) vs demanding private developers include affordable housing. The only cities that are keeping housing costs down globally either have public developers or have lax to no zoning. I am in favor of both.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 8:20 PM
Chris

Philly finished the budget year with an unexpectedly high $492.4 million financial cushion

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20220817.html

Philadelphia finished last budget year with $405.8 million more in unspent cash than it had projected due to unexpectedly strong revenue from the business and real estate transfer taxes, a new city report shows.
The city had a total of $492.4 million leftover from its $5.5 billion when the 2022 fiscal year ended on June 30, according to the most recent Quarterly City Manager’s Report.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I agree 100%. I believe it's been said more than once on these pages that Philadelphia doesn't have an affordability problem, it has a poverty problem. To me, a city that is unaffordable means that teachers, trash haulers, cops, blue collars, city employees, etc. are completely priced out of decent neighborhoods. Like Manhattan, SF, or Seattle. That's not the case in Philadelphia at all. There are plenty of middle-income neighborhoods that are affordable provided you have a decent-ish job.
Agreed. This goes hand in hand with the Center City District report noting how Philadelphia lags other cities in some key employment sectors. I noticed that the Inquirer had nothing to say about it. Bottom line is that Philadelphia needs a healthy private sector to really thrive. Good, family-supporting jobs will do a lot to pull people out of poverty.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Philly finished the budget year with an unexpectedly high $492.4 million financial cushion

https://www.inquirer.com/politics/ph...-20220817.html

Philadelphia finished last budget year with $405.8 million more in unspent cash than it had projected due to unexpectedly strong revenue from the business and real estate transfer taxes, a new city report shows.
The city had a total of $492.4 million leftover from its $5.5 billion when the 2022 fiscal year ended on June 30, according to the most recent Quarterly City Manager’s Report.
Assuming that was all QOL-related funding. Its great and all that we end the year at a surplus, but not after considering the crumbling streets, rec centers, parks, schools, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development