HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
I remember my younger self being upset that New York wasn’t getting any of the dildo towers they were building out East.
Well, the current design for the 1646' Grand Hyatt does look like a grand dildo, so I guess you are finally (potentially) getting what your younger self wanted. It's a good fit for the skyline though.

BTW NYC was indeed building pretty weak skyscrapers in 2000-2010. The tallest was the B. of A. Tower, which is almost 30% spire.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 26, 2020 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 4:58 PM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah that BofA site just kills me. It's a nice building but what a huge missed opportunity for a 1200'+ tower. Everything about the design just wants to be stretched out and taller.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Well, the current design for the 1646' Grand Hyatt does look like a grand dildo, so I guess you are finally (potentially) getting what your younger self wanted. It's a good fit for the skyline though..
I don't see that at all. I do see Olaf though.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 5:14 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I always wonder why people bring up dildos in comparison to skyscrapers anyway. And BofA is too bulky, and not even enough space for the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
Est reazoning will have a building exceeding the height of the tip of the one world trade center exemple the blue tower (Roosevelt hotel)
I don't know if that would be the site for that. I would bet against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
BTW NYC was indeed building pretty weak skyscrapers in 2000-2010. The tallest was the B. of A. Tower, which is almost 30% spire.
Yeah, the decade after the two tallest towers were taken down by a terrorists attack, and the economy tanked, nobody was rushing to put up massive buildings. Shocking. But that's all in the past now, and I don't think even the most optimistic person would have predicted the massive growth of the skyline we've experienced in the last decade. I always say we haven't seen the best New York, and that's true.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:13 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, the decade after the two tallest towers were taken down by a terrorists attack, and the economy tanked, nobody was rushing to put up massive buildings. Shocking. But that's all in the past now, and I don't think even the most optimistic person would have predicted the massive growth of the skyline we've experienced in the last decade. I always say we haven't seen the best New York, and that's true.
Exactly, I don't blame NY for having a bad skyscraper decade. It's certainly making up for it now and in the years to come.

I hope Chicago and other US cities start booming the same way too.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 6:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

ESB continues to drop in the rankings. Eventually, won't even be in the top 10. Which is nuts to think about. Back in 2010, would of never thought.

In the pipeline:

Exception with 250 Water. They need to update that one. 350 Park will be interesting, when that manifests. Tower Fifth, another one, if it happens.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2020, 7:33 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I like the massing, but boy, it is overpowering, especially in relation to the Chrysler Building. The cladding/skin will make or break this, I think.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 1:50 PM

NYguy, when the new Grand Hyatt tower will be completed is it possible that RXR Realty can move the offices of the 237 Park Avenue tower into the new GH tower?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I hope Chicago and other US cities start booming the same way too.
Other cities are also building, but lets please leave what's going on in other cities out of the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
I like the massing, but boy, it is overpowering, especially in relation to the Chrysler Building. The cladding/skin will make or break this, I think.
I'm interested to see exactly what the cladding will be, and what type of crown this building will have. And it will have to have some type of grand lighting scheme. The Chrysler is such an icon. I'm looking forward to more details coming out at their presentation next week, and more later next month at the scoping meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
NYguy, when the new Grand Hyatt tower will be completed is it possible that RXR Realty can move the offices of the 237 Park Avenue tower into the new GH tower?
They have their own marketing plans for the properties they control, of which I have no idea. The potential tenants they are talking to could come from anywhere, but likely that same midtown area. A game of musical chairs as far as tenants in the area goes could happen, but who knows.

https://rxrrealty.com/details/parkave237

Not to get off topic, but a little more based on tenants at 237 Park...

https://therealdeal.com/2020/10/22/h...7-park-avenue/

What tenants are paying at RXR and Walton Street Capital’s 237 Park Avenue

October 22, 2020
By Kevin Sun

Quote:
In early 2017, on the heels of a four-year, $65 million renovation of the trophy office building at 237 Park Avenue, private equity firm Walton Street Capital put its 49 percent stake in the property on the market.

Walton Street had teamed up with Scott Rechler’s RXR Realty to acquire the 21-story Midtown tower for $810 million in 2013, and managed to bring in major creditworthy tenants like NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital and the Consulate General of Canada while completely redeveloping the lobby, atrium and retail space.

After just a few months on the market, Walton Street changed its plans. In a low interest rate environment, the partners secured a $850 million refinancing package from Morgan Stanley and Societe Generale instead, the bulk of which was then securitized in the CMBS market.

Documents associated with the securitization provide an inside look at 237 Park Avenue’s sturdy, highly creditworthy rent roll.

At the time of the latest refinancing, the 1.2 million-square-foot building was 96 percent leased, according to the offering circular. The top five tenants, all with “investment grade” credit ratings, accounted for 93 percent of the rentable area and 98 percent of underwritten gross rent.

The largest tenant, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, has an atypical arrangement for its “lease” at the building, which extends through 2048. As a nonprofit, the hospital can enjoy tax benefits by owning rather than leasing its office space, so RXR created an office condo for the hospital that dissolves after 30 years. The purchase price for the condo is paid in monthly installments, and this “rent” comes out to $65 per square foot, the lowest base rent among the building’s five major tenants.

The other corporate tenants at the building are investment bank JPMorgan Chase, advertising agency Wunderman Thompson (known as J. Walter Thompson before a 2018 merger), and Prudential Financial subsidiary Jennison Associates. Rounding out the top five, the Canadian government’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations and Consulate General in New York occupy a total of 72,900 square feet at the property.

Co-working firm Convene has a 29,800-square-foot space that caters to “executive retreats, corporate offsites, product launches, roadshows, and private receptions,” according to its website.

https://secretnyc.co/highest-skycraper-nyc-grand-hyatt/

This Massive 89-Story Building Could Become The Tallest Skyscraper In NYC
Midtown East might become home to the tallest building (by roof height) in the NYC skyline to date!

BY JUSTINE GOLATA
NOVEMBER 23, 2020

Quote:
A new project proposal is underway to build the highest skyscraper (by roof height) in New York City. The current highest building in NYC is

The Project Commodore is a proposed development towering at 1,646 feet high, designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and developed under Commodore Owner LLC by RXR Realty and TF Cornerstone. The site of the project would take place where the Grand Hyatt New York hotel is currently located.

The construction would mean a smaller Grand Hyatt hotel, new offices, retail stores, enormous public space, and a reimagined entrance to the Grand Central-42nd Street subway station.

The skyscraper would total to 2,976,740 square feet and be 89 stories high. Of that, 43,370 square feet would go towards retail locations, 10,000 towards “open-air publicly accessible space,” and 2,108,820 for new offices.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 27, 2020 at 8:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:25 PM
BANNED

That's why it's called "The Greatest City in the World"!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
https://therealdeal.com/2020/10/22/h...7-park-avenue/

What tenants are paying at RXR and Walton Street Capital’s 237 Park Avenue
Thanks for the directions.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 28, 2020 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:33 PM
BANNED

This is another one that will come down.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 2:50 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
how so? Is the currently proposed height unlikely to be buiilt?

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 2:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
I suspect that they can build a lot more square feet with the rezoning.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:49 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
I suspect that they can build a lot more square feet with the rezoning.
OHHH i thought you were talkng about Hyatt! When you said it will "come down" i was very confused and concerned

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 4:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
That was one of the earliest proposals for a rebuild, even before the rezoning. The rezoning just makes it likelier that it'll come down someday.
https://nypost.com/2001/05/15/new-sk...-237-park-ave/

Likewise, the old Biltmore Hotel (335 Madison) was planned for it's rebuild, but the Milstein's opted for a renovation for now. This is directly north of Vanderbilt, with the same zoning as Vanderbilt, so I'm in no rush to see a new supertall on that site. Vanderbilt can shine for a little longer.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/03/vanderb...ive-new-tower/

Vanderbilt corridor set for massive new tower

By Lois Weiss
March 3, 2015

Quote:
The Vanderbilt corridor may be getting a new tower on a site no one expected to be redeveloped so fast.

Shrewd Howard Milstein is now focusing on designing and developing a completely new modern tower at 335 Madison Ave. that would take advantage of the new Vanderbilt corridor zoning boost, The Post has learned.

To those of you who can’t make heads or tails out of taking down a 1.1 million square-foot tower from 1984 for a slightly larger one, think again.

Some sources have indicated that Milstein, harkening back to its location and history, would like to include a “high end” hotel as part of the new plans.

The 1984 tower was actually a stealthy redevelopment of the 1913-era Biltmore Hotel that the Milstein family started razing before preservationists could react.

They went with the reno instead...
https://www.shoparc.com/projects/335-madison-avenue/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
The likelihood of it getting built is dependent on tenants, which if you follow the leasing of One Vanderbilt is a pretty good prospect. I also think of the Hyatt as the first major tenant.

There are very few complicated zoning issues to work out (most of it has already been worked out in the midtown east rezoning, and is more formality than anything else). There are the issues of ownership to be worked out between the city/state, which is basically just paperwork. Landmarks will have a look at it, but there's no issue to be had with this tower as opposed to the smaller version.

I think the biggest issues will be at ground level and the plaza. I always said this was the wrong location for a ground level plaza, and they've found a nice way to work around that. There's also a second plaza on the western side that faces Grand Central, also opening up views.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 28, 2020 at 5:10 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 5:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Back on the design, I hope there is a detailed crown. I would love something like the old SOM Hudson Yards proposal, which was more interesting than what they had proposed for Manhattan West...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 2:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

That old SOM proposal would be nice.

I just hope its not something akin to the Salesforce tower in San Francisco. Nice design but its a tad bit overused. Hong Kong, and so on. Pelli Clarke Architects do fantastic work but some designs are a bit overused.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill should set the bar high I feel.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

I thought it was KPF?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 3:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I believe its Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Mass models via them.

RXR Realty and TF Cornerstone is developing it, but designed by SOM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals