HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 7:23 PM
Never Dell

I bet they made cases they thought they could support with their boards. In both cases, bigger cities with good recruitment potential. The second one is apparently an example of factoring the importance of keeping the existing workforce.

In any case, supertalls (typically 984' per SSP categories) happen when they make strong financial sense, and they almost never do otherwise. I've listed several reasons why this is the case.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 7:55 PM

Denver City Council deems part of East Colfax blighted, approves moves to attract redevelopment
8/26/2019 By Esteban L. Hernandez - Denverite
Quote:
The redevelopment area will encompass East Colfax Avenue between Monaco Parkway and Yosemite Street, on the border of Aurora. Denver City Council on Monday voted 11-2 to establish an urban redevelopment area for East Colfax in an attempt to lure more development into the area.

The urban redevelopment area does not rezone property, approve a specific project or authorize eminent domain.
Let me guess...
Quote:
Repeating her comments from the previous week, District 9 Councilwoman Candi CdeBaca said these kinds of urban renewal plans detrimentally affect residents of color. She was joined by District 11 Councilwoman Stacie Gilmore, who also voted against the urban redevelopment area.

Source

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 8:46 PM

12-story hotel proposed at edge of Cherry Creek

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 9:04 PM

Nice article on the recently completed S'Park development.

https://www.5280.com/2019/08/denvers...inable-living/

I feel like this is an awesome project that kinda flew under the radar. Great integration of different elements.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:49 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Nice article on the recently completed S'Park development.

https://www.5280.com/2019/08/denvers...inable-living/

I feel like this is an awesome project that kinda flew under the radar. Great integration of different elements.
Agreed, I really like the uses of this project, really creative. The architecture leaves a little to be desired and I have heard through the grapevine that the developer struggled a bit selling these units. Considering the last phase/portion on the NE corner of the block is for sale, it would seem to suggest the development team did struggle.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
Agreed, I really like the uses of this project, really creative. The architecture leaves a little to be desired and I have heard through the grapevine that the developer struggled a bit selling these units. Considering the last phase/portion on the NE corner of the block is for sale, it would seem to suggest the development team did struggle.
I think it's a combination of price and location. The target demographic for these small condos likely can't afford them, and those that can would likely prefer a better location with more amenities that isn't so close to the Homeless Triangle. Too bad, as the original plan was to build more condos on the empty lot to the north. Now that will end up being more apartments: https://businessden.com/2019/02/06/w...loper-for-15m/

Another interesting nearby infill project that has also flown under the radar is the DHA Curtis Park redevelopment between 30th and 31st and Champa/Stout. All of the old buildings have either been torn down or completely renovated into brownstones. DHA will also sell some of the lots for single family homes so there will be a mix of housing types on the site to blend in with the Curtis Park neighborhood.

https://www.milenderwhite.com/projec...e-valley-homes

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
Cool looking hotel.

Cherry Creek continues to evolve into a real commercial and tourist destination district. What could add value is small/medium sized convention facility. That might need to await the re-development of the West Side of the Mall.

In other Cherry Creek news there's this from the DBJ:

Beck Architecture on Tuesday submitted a conceptual development plan on behalf of its client, Broe Real Estate Group, for construction of two separate buildings in the 200 block of Clayton Street. According to those plans, the development would include 100,000 square feet of office space, ground level retail and above- and below-grade parking.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...buildings.html

This right next to the new mid rise that has the Amazon Books on the First Floor. Here's what's there today:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/20...4d-104.9555641

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:43 PM

^ Nice to see a steady stream of new developments in Cherry Creek. I had thought after this latest round of hotel/office/apartment projects that the boom there had subsided. I guess there is still the redevelopment of the old Sears and Whole Foods that will be a significant project but I don't know if that will happen this cycle or not.

Back to downtown, BusinessDen posted an article about the progress at Market Station and these renderings. This will be such a big hole filled in the middle of Lodo.

16th and Market St

17th & Market St

17th & Blake St

16th St Mall frontage

Source: https://businessden.com/2019/08/28/p...arket-station/

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:46 PM

I'm going to go into Matt-mode for a moment and ponder what the chances are that Cherry Creek's height limit could be raised. I think CC would make a nice secondary mid/high rise district, and its skyline has become quite table-toppy with the recent infill. I'd love it if Denver had our own Buckhead style mini-skyline, but is there any mechanism for the city council to revise height limits?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I'm going to go into Matt-mode for a moment and ponder what the chances are that Cherry Creek's height limit could be raised. I think CC would make a nice secondary mid/high rise district, and its skyline has become quite table-toppy with the recent infill. I'd love it if Denver had our own Buckhead style mini-skyline, but is there any mechanism for the city council to revise height limits?
I think that ship has sailed in Cherry Creek. I do wish north RiNo had a higher height limit for that same reason. At least you can now go to 16 stories around 38th & Blake Station.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 7:12 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Zoning is just a tool to implement a plan. And the plan for Cherry Creek says that the height we are getting now is the intended max for the neighborhood. So if you wanted taller buildings, the city would first have to do an update to the Cherry Creek plan and make taller buildings part of the plan's recommendations. Then a rezoning could follow.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Zoning is just a tool to implement a plan. And the plan for Cherry Creek says that the height we are getting now is the intended max for the neighborhood. So if you wanted taller buildings, the city would first have to do an update to the Cherry Creek plan and make taller buildings part of the plan's recommendations. Then a rezoning could follow.
That all makes sense, and the plan was a good one for Cherry Creek North - I think the development there has been of very high quality.

I do wonder whether a fresh look might make sense if and when the west side of Cherry Creek Mall gets re-developed. That area in particular seems suitable for greater height than what's in Cherry Creek North & 1st Avenue.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
That all makes sense, and the plan was a good one for Cherry Creek North - I think the development there has been of very high quality.

I do wonder whether a fresh look might make sense if and when the west side of Cherry Creek Mall gets re-developed. That area in particular seems suitable for greater height than what's in Cherry Creek North & 1st Avenue.
Good luck convincing the Country Club neighborhood of that...I would imagine some big push back from them.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:00 AM

Here is the latest massing design for the Bell Park Tower - 390 feet, 184 units:

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
Here is the latest massing design for the Bell Park Tower - 390 feet, 184 units:

Pretty ‘meh’....mediocre mash up of confluence and the spire. Is the office component on the other side still a go?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
I see where you images are numbered 1 thru 5 but 3, 4 & 5 are the same.

I like it fine; it's nicely striking.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I see where you images are numbered 1 thru 5 but 3, 4 & 5 are the same.

I like it fine; it's nicely striking.
Refresh your browser.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:42 AM

Yeah, it's pretty meh...... I agree, a mashup of the Spire and Confluence. But... I will take it as it would help build the skyline out a bit.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:45 AM

Bell Tower.....what happened?!!??!????! I hope to God design review tears this apart. How did they manage to make this look worse than it already did. I'm sorry, but no city I've been to in the past 10 year does a more pathetic job with architecture than ours. Where is the sense of pride? This isn't a "victim of the times" situation...this is a Denver problem.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Yeah, it's pretty meh...... I agree, a mashup of the Spire and Confluence. But... I will take it as it would help build the skyline out a bit.
I pulled up images of Confluence and Spire and that's when this rendering grew on me. I even wondered if this might not look better when finished than it does in the rendering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek.berardi View Post
Bell Tower.....what happened?!!??!????! I hope to God design review tears this apart. How did they manage to make this look worse than it already did. I'm sorry, but no city I've been to in the past 10 year does a more pathetic job with architecture than ours. Where is the sense of pride? This isn't a "victim of the times" situation...this is a Denver problem.
This is not an easy site to work with; Hines walked away from the opportunity; why did they do that? Anybody else knocking the door down to build here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West