HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 1:37 AM
maverick

Russia

Since Russia is in Europe , I will repost here some pictures of my homeland for others to enjoy. Urban, suburban and whatever.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Last edited by anm; Aug 2, 2007 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 1:53 AM
maverick

photo by jst posted on SCC; the thread is here

Moscow region (20 km from Moscow city limits), 8 km from Domodedovo airport.

The houses are mostly summer residences - most Moscovites (such hard is there life in this expensive city) have a summer "vacation" house in the suburbs where they live 3-4 months a year. Not considering this a vacation, just a matter of regular life. Those houses typically were bulit without running water (use your own well), no flush toilet (outhouse or septic), have electricity and in some cases natural gas. Nowdays western style developments for people who want to live in the suburb all year are built with all ameneties of civillization.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Last edited by anm; Nov 8, 2007 at 2:10 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 2:27 AM
maverick

photo by Lexa96 from SCC thread

The city of Yekaterinburg, Ural mountaines

Fans of construction pics are welcome here
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=125880

City pond

Museum of photography

The Church on Blood, constructed on the site of murder of Romanov family and servants

suburbs

30 km from the city, the village where the autor of the pics has his "dacha" - summer house (to have a dacha is typical for residents of all big Russian cities)

First skyscraper in Russia outside Moscow, Antej, 48 floors 184 m

Fashion mall / cinema theatre

Opera

Ural State University

Inventor of radio Popov statue and gubernator residence

Ekaterinburg metro, pics from Metroworld

Last edited by anm; Nov 8, 2007 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 9:17 AM

Great idea for a thread! I love to see photos from the Russian country side and provincial cities.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2007, 2:03 PM

Always love your pics Olga. I just returned from Russia.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 3:00 AM
maverick

photo by Fog from SSC

I drop commentaries, you can find them in Russian in the original thread here

Black Sea coast, city of Gelendjik

look atGoogle Maps

Last edited by anm; Nov 7, 2007 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2007, 3:58 AM
maverick

photo from SCC, a friend of Siberian drove through Altai mountains to Russian-Mongolian border; the most beautiful places, like lakes and breattaking mountin views have been skipped, it was not a tourist trip, just pictures taken from the car

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=504625

River Katun'

the road back

Last edited by anm; Nov 8, 2007 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2007, 6:03 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Russia is indeed in Europe, or at least the main cities, heartland and historical core are. The old USSR was IMO pretty much a continent on its own tho Russia is HUGE which makes for varied landscapes and urban styles -> beautiful pics

Closest I've been to Russia is Riga in Latvia. Which actually has a Russian majority!
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 7:38 PM
Closed account

Lets face it: Russia's core (Moscow) is in Europe, and most of its population lives in the European part of the country!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2007, 3:08 AM
maverick

Kazan by ruso malo on SCC

My father was born in this city during WWII in evacuation

Kazan metro, inaugurated in 2005

5 stations so far, and is growing

Last edited by anm; Nov 8, 2007 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2007, 5:05 AM
maverick

photo by ruso malo

The original thread is here with Russian commentaries.

The thread is about the city of Izhevsk located in Ural Mountains. There is a big weapon factory there where Kalashnikov automatic rifles are produced among other weapons.

Mikhailovskij Cathedral was destroyed by communists in 1930s and rebuilt as a replica, reopen Aug 5th 2007.

Circus

Last edited by anm; Nov 8, 2007 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 3:55 AM
maverick

A little more of Ural mountains; river Chusovaja - a popular place for river tourism.

photo by andrej82

photo by Olh

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 3:42 AM
maverick

Khabarovsk - city in the Far East on Amur River (across China)

climat - combination of Atlanta-like hot humid summers and brutal Edmonton-like winters with rapid transitions in between

most famous animal in the sorrounding forests - Siberian Tiger (currently the largest carnivor on the planet)

photo from SCC thread by kharlam

the thread is quite long and very good
I will repost only very small fraction of pics from there

Khabarovsk to be continued...

Last edited by anm; Nov 1, 2007 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 5:26 PM
Information Age

Great thread, I never new Russia was so beutiful!
I thought it was more, yeah you know comunistic in building style.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 1:45 AM
maverick

Well, there are plenty of commiblocks, and I think you can see some of them in this thead too... but certainly Russian cities are much more than just drab commiblocks. There are common traits to many cities

- if there is a riverfront - in the city center it is usually well developed for public, not commercial
- commiblocks allow high population density and plenty of green space between buildings
- reasonably high population density = public transit is well developed
- neihgbourhood of commiblocks are well-defined, i.e. they often end abruptly bordering a forest of a field with little or no suburbia
- city centers are clean and well-maintained

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 6:52 AM
maverick

Due to gazillion of pics and practically no comments the thread takes forever to load.

I will return to Khabarovsk a little later (plenty of good pics not shown yet). Now we switch to the city of Barnaul (pronounced Bar-nah-OOL). Pics by Siberian, from SSC.

Last edited by anm; Nov 8, 2007 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 7:04 AM
maverick

More of Barnaul by Siberian

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 6:38 PM
Sebastian

Wow, Russia is definitely one of a kind.
These photos remind me of this TV show that was on here in Canada called "Long Way Round" with Ewan McGregor.

http://www.longwayround.com/html/longwayround.html

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 2:56 AM
maverick

This thread has become unbearbly long to load... I have cut about half of the pics (those intersted can go to the links of the original threads), but it is still slow.

Plus, I added a few pics to the posts of cities of Kazan and Ekaterinburg to show their subway systems.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 4:07 AM
Dryer lint inspector

russia is right up there with china as one of the countries i really want to visit in the not too distant future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe