HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Wow. Never seen >400,000 before.
This section of the 427 also just tops 400k (Rathburn Rd to Burnhamthorpe Ave)
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.65424...7i16384!8i8192

The part of the 401 that tops 300k stretches from McCowan Rd to Highway 410/403 which is a 23-24 mile stretch (with the exception of a 1 mile section that's below 300k between Dixon and Highway 427).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:54 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Yep. And, unfortunately, I'm stuck right in it several days a week, depending on my work schedule. As I've found, it's not very easy to get from roughly Pulaski/Belmont down to Roosevelt/Jefferson where I work via CTA. Heh

Aaron (Glowrock)

Bus -> Belmont Blue Line -> Clinton Blue Line -> Divvy (with some risk you won't find a bike or dock...)?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Yeah, that's pretty bad. I used to live over there. Fucking miserable. The Southwest Freeway (59 south bound from DT) is also a total shit show as is I-45 (northbound from DT). I-10 westbound...
When I used to live in Houston it seemed traffic was a constant all through the day and into a lot of the night.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 1:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i went through three of those four intersections a bunch of times this weekend (all of them if you count going straight) ...but i still contend the most nightmare traffic i've experienced is atlanta. unlike the LA basin (canyons, etc exempted), which has a massive array of surface blvds (which are slower, but you regain your sanity) you're Just Plain Fucked. i've tried all kinds of alternate routes around/through atlanta and it's just a nightmare. nashville is like this on a tiny scale.
I agree and this is probably generally true for all grid cities like L.A., Phoenix, Chicago, O.K.C., Miami versus non-grid cities like Atlanta, Nashville, Boston, Charlotte etc.

There are numerous non-freeway arterial options in grid cities and with Waze or GoogleMaps you'll often be directed off the freeway to the surface streets.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 1:28 PM
Pay it Forward

Here are the highest volume spots I found for the Bay Area's major freeways in 2017:

880@A Street(Hayward) 369,000
80@Ashby(Berkeley) 297,000
680@Geary(Walnut Creek) 294,000
101@280/680(San Jose) 293,000
280@10th Street(San Jose) 275,000
580@Hopyard(Pleasanton) 264,000

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 1:52 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Trying to get to Tahoe from SF is the worst traffic I have ever experienced. Specifically the stretch between SF and Sacramento. Living 20+ years in LA and driving to San Diego or Palm Springs I never experienced traffic as bad as the aforementioned stretch of the 80.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 1:54 PM

I agree Atlanta traffic is awful, however not really any worse than LA, DC or most other big cities. There are three big problems: 1. The city road layout is essentially that which once accommodated a metro of just 1 or 2 million and now it is almost 6; the only wide streets are in burbs and there are few wide straight streets for high traffic (some exceptions like Buford, North Ave,, but many change from 4, 6 lanes to two e.g. Lavista/Lindbergh at different sections of the city; 2. Most major streets meander in direction, some cross each other more than once, the only grid of significance is in the downtown area; 3. Assisting devices (Garmin, Wayz etc) are not very useful and knowing the best solution from point A to B may be based on long time experience of driving in the city. Nonetheless, Atlanta is still only ranked 11 in most congested US cities (INRIX). So not so bad.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 2:11 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Folks need to remember that volume and congestion are not the same. You can have one high but the other low, depending on capacity and other factors.

Since everyone is talking about NY & LA, here's data for New York and California.

The highest I see scrolling around the NY map is the GW Bridge at 282,000. The BQE (since it was mentioned) is in the 100,000-150,000 range, which is pretty unremarkable in terms of volume for a metropolitan Interstate.

In LA, you have to look them up by route number so I can't say I've looked everywhere. But I looked at the 10, 101, 110, and 405. The highest I saw was the 10 @ Hoover Street where it hits 355,000.
Take a look at data for the 60 fy

60@Fairway(Industry) 490,000
5@22/57(Santa Ana) 410,000
405@605(Seal Beach) 396,000
10@Hoover(LA) 375,000
210@Hill(Pasadena) 341,000
91@Lakeview(Anaheim) 339,000
110@Manchester(LA) 328,000
101@Havenhurst(LA) 320,000
605@5(Santa Fe Springs) 317,000
105@Vermont(LA) 280,000
118@Woodley(LA) 258,000
710@Imperial(South Gate) 250,000

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Last edited by dimondpark; Jul 25, 2019 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 2:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Trying to get to Tahoe from SF is the worst traffic I have ever experienced. Specifically the stretch between SF and Sacramento. Living 20+ years in LA and driving to San Diego or Palm Springs I never experienced traffic as bad as the aforementioned stretch of the 80.
Try heading back to L.A. from Vegas on I-15 on an early Monday afternoon following a summer holiday weekend (or New Year's Day). Would make S.F. to Tahoe feel like Des Moines to Sioux City.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 2:39 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Try heading back to L.A. from Vegas on I-15 on an early Monday afternoon following a summer holiday weekend (or New Year's Day). Would make S.F. to Tahoe feel like Des Moines to Sioux City.
Yes but he specified the stretch between SF and Sacramento, which I can assure you, is horrendous any day of the week, not just on holidays.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:03 PM

I-10 between the I-10/610 split and Bonnabel Blvd. has the highest traffic count in New Orleans metro area. 208,660 vehicles on average per day as of the latest traffic count taken in 2014.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9961.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Yes but he specified the stretch between SF and Sacramento, which I can assure you, is horrendous any day of the week, not just on holidays.
Interesting. I've driven that route several times and although I do recall there being traffic, I don't recall it being particularly worse than any other stretch between two major cities.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:18 PM

Per GDOT, the highest traffic count in Atlanta is the Downtown Connector (I75/I85) just north or 5th Street in Midtown Atlanta near Georgia Tech and has counts of 403,000 in 2018.

Downtown Connector (I-75/I-85 Midtown Atlanta)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:23 PM
Pay it Forward

oo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Interesting. I've driven that route several times and although I do recall there being traffic, I don't recall it being particularly worse than any other stretch between two major cities.
Most major cities arent 90 miles apart tho.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i went through three of those four intersections a bunch of times this weekend (all of them if you count going straight) ...but i still contend the most nightmare traffic i've experienced is atlanta. unlike the LA basin (canyons, etc exempted), which has a massive array of surface blvds (which are slower, but you regain your sanity) you're Just Plain Fucked. i've tried all kinds of alternate routes around/through atlanta and it's just a nightmare. nashville is like this on a tiny scale.
I hardly ever take Atlanta freeways during peak hours or at least avoid the known trouble spots. I agree that in general Atlanta doesn't have straight, wide streets but there are ways to avoid the freeway trouble spots. I do it all the time.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:38 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

being overbuilt and depopulated luckily cleveland doesnt have traffic problems as compared to most cities (ie., the I-90 innerbelt bridge had a count of like 150k in the 2000s).
of course that is now a great selling point, ha.

however, i saw something interesting and fun about the ne ohio region.

it has the second highest relative travel movement volume in the nation during thanksgiving (hey philly -- you are at the top).

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...can-be-avoided

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
Most major cities arent 90 miles apart tho.
chicago and milwaukee are about that distance, and WisDOT is currently expanding I-94 to 8 lanes between the two cities.

once the last part around Racine is finished up next summer, there will be a continuous 8 lane expressway from I-80/94 in Gary, IN, on through to the tri-state tollway, and then all the way up to I-94/43 interchange on the southside of milwaukee.

that's a total of 127 miles of continuous 8 lane expressway. once the last 35 miles in WI are done, it's gonna be one of the longest runs of continuous 8 lanes in the nation, i imagine.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 25, 2019 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:52 PM

I-35W between 287 and 121 in downtown Fort Worth is 107k each way.

I35E right outside Victory Station in Dallas was at 285k a day in 2009

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:27 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
chicago and milwaukee are about that distance, and WisDOT is currently expanding I-94 to 8 lanes between the two cities.

once the last part around Racine is finished up next summer, there will be a continuous 8 lane expressway from I-80/94 in Gary, IN, on through to the tri-state tollway, and then all the way up to I-94/43 interchange on the southside of milwaukee.

that's a total of 127 miles of continuous 8 lane expressway. once the last 35 miles in WI are done, it's gonna be one of the longest runs of continuous 8 lanes in the nation, i imagine.
Yes, apart from SF-Sacramento, Chicago-Milwaukee is one of the few corridors where his argument actually applies. Otherwise, it's not common for traffic between major cities to have that kind of intensity.

I don't know what the traffic is like between Chicago and Milwaukee, but it is absolutely awful between SF and Sacramento at various choke points just about every day during drive times. This was a screenshot map I took a year ago on a typical wednesday at 4:30pm

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
I-10 between the I-10/610 split and Bonnabel Blvd. has the highest traffic count in New Orleans metro area. 208,660 vehicles on average per day as of the latest traffic count taken in 2014.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9961.../data=!3m1!1e3
I wonder what is the traffic counts on I-10 in Baton Rouge? Seems like every time I pass through there, it's almost at a standstill.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions