HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:59 PM

I think Tew's and Webster's Falls are well worth a visit. You can do a really nice hike in the Spencer Gorge as well. I always took visitors to see this and everyone was always impressed (especially since Southern Ontario is so flat and bereft of natural features)

It's true though, you'd have to be quite a Waterfall aficionado to seek out most of them. I've only seen maybe ten or twelve of the "hundreds"

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Last week, I was listening to the woman that is running Tourism Hamilton (I forget her name) on The Scott Thompson Show. She stated that the "Waterfall" brochure is the most requested one they have. She is ordering more as they have run out quickly of them.
Susan Monarch (nee Coverdale).

FWIW, Tourism Hamilton has apparently partnered with Chris Ecklund.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 9:14 PM
Ham-burgher

The city definitely has more to offer.

Being so close to Toronto and Niagara it's always going to be a battle to get noticed, especially among international tourists. But despite not having a major tourist attraction, the city could do a better job promoting itself and building on the great things that are here.

My complaint with all the waterfall promotion is that it took a private interest to start tooting the horn.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
The city definitely has more to offer.

Being so close to Toronto and Niagara it's always going to be a battle to get noticed, especially among international tourists. But despite not having a major tourist attraction, the city could do a better job promoting itself and building on the great things that are here.

My complaint with all the waterfall promotion is that it took a private interest to start tooting the horn.
The problem is that this guy took a supply of waterfalls and keeps trying to drum up demand for them. When that started, Hamilton didn't have much going on. That has changed. Yet very few people care about the waterfalls, except the same group that head out every few weeks, shine coloured lights on them, and pat themselves on the back.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 6:21 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanmedic View Post
The problem is that this guy took a supply of waterfalls and keeps trying to drum up demand for them. When that started, Hamilton didn't have much going on. That has changed. Yet very few people care about the waterfalls, except the same group that head out every few weeks, shine coloured lights on them, and pat themselves on the back.
I have to ask - is your issue with promoting the waterfalls, or with who has been promoting the waterfalls?

I've got no problem with Ecklund spending his own money, time, and resources doing that, nor with anyone who wants to be part of it. I was always aware of a number of the waterfalls but they've highlighted so many more I did not know about.

If the city wants to embrace that as part of its broader tourism strategy, it makes sense to me to partner up and build on what's been done (but if there's an exchange of funds, it does deserve scrutiny, simply on the basis of it being tax dollars). This also applies to other organizations in the city - like the museums, conservation authority, RBG, festivals, etc.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:02 AM

15 Jaw-Dropping Waterfalls Worth Chasing

Check where number 3 on the list is!

http://mashable.com/2014/07/24/beaut...s3a2hjOTNtaSJ9

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 12:02 PM

That's nice. Mental, sure, but nice just the same.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:58 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Albion and Niagara were the two closet on that list right?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 3:25 PM

I like Tew's Falls myself

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation