HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Feb 29, 2020, 11:27 PM
I love NY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Well, these two towers have a partially curved, all glass curtainwall and one is about 10% shorter than the other.

Yes, you have two similar looking builddings next to each other. You could make an argument that several blocks of 6th ave look similar to the original WTC too.
I definitely see the xyz look with Hudson Yards, specifically Fosters and BIG’s new towers under construction.

Manhattan West instantly reminded me of the WTC when I saw the renderings from the beginning. I only wish both towers broke over 1,100 FT.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 1:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Never said it did. iiConTr0v3rSYx said this and then you appear a few moments later to say 'That's always been my belief....'

So 'LOL' right back at you as you appear to back track.....
You're delirious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Well, these two towers have a partially curved, all glass curtainwall and one is about 10% shorter than the other.

Yes, you have two similar looking buildings next to each other. You could make an argument that several blocks of 6th ave look similar to the original WTC too.

I think you people have entirely missed the point. It should go without saying that no one said these towers look like exact replicas of the WTC. It's the complex that is as close to the original WTC as New York will get. At least to this point. And frankly, I think it's too obvious for me to have to explain. But I will anyway.

First you have the original WTC, dominated by two identical towers of great height, set off the NYC grid on a superblock, with an open plaza between them. They set themselves apart from everything around them, not just in height, but in design as well. Can you imagine just one of these towers? No you cannot. Can you imagine having 3 or 4? No, you cannot. At least if you were familiar with them. Because they were the Twin Towers. Nothing else around them came close.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAV

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma...d_Trade_Center

Then you have Manhattan West, dominated by two nearly identical towers (all but identical for practical purposes), set off of the NYC grid on a superblock, with an open plaza between them. They set themselves apart from everything around them, especially in design. There can be no mistaking these two towers with anything but each other, as they dominate their surroundings (even considering the taller towers to the west).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAK

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

Some people have thrown in the X,Y,Z buildings. Yet, are there two clearly identical in appearance dominating everything around them over a superblock set off the NYC grid. No. They're just towers that blend into the canyon like everything else on that great canyon. Give me just a couple of them, and place them on a superblock, apart from the NYC grid, squint a little, and I could give you that, a little. But I can tell you, no one looks up at this and says, "you know, it's like the WTC all over again". Because it isn't. It's a canyon of towers.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/xyz-buildings.html

What falls more closely than that to the original WTC are towers I watched go up, and was reminded by each as they rose of the original WTC. I'm talking about Time Warner Center, and Silverstein's Silver Towers. The X,Y,Z towers could be "any canyon NYC".

https://www.imagesbycw.com/silver-towers-nyc/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABBZ

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 1:49 AM
New Yorker for life

FEBRUARY 29, 2020

Yes, we do have a second crane up on site....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Well, when you consider they both taper and 2 MW is shorter, from an angle it does appear to offset from another.

You telling me this rendering doesn’t look like the original WTC?
Sure from that angle a similarity is forced but over all it's just another two dull shiny blue boxes with a more sexy finish than it's recent and forthcoming siblings nearby.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 11:54 PM

First time I saw the render of 1 & 2MW I immediately thought of the former WTC twins. It's pretty obvious.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 1:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Michael Young

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Incredible vantage point. If you look closely, you can see the superstructure taking shape. Some big a$$ steel!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 2:04 PM
New Yorker for life

Meant to post these from last weekend...

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 17, 2020 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 6:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

oh wow, so the steel is visible above ground now. very good news to see that.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 1:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 9:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Grabbed these last weekend...

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 6:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: SideStreet

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 6:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 9:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 1:54 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: JC_Heights

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 6:46 PM
New Yorker for life

JUNE 5, 2020

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 11:49 PM
New Yorker for life

https://therealdeal.com/2020/06/08/p...ing-from-home/

Part Two: Brookfield’s Brian Kingston on Manhattan West, Lever House and working from home
Brookfield Property CEO says he “can’t wait to get back” to the office and thinks many others feel the same

TRD NATIONAL
June 08, 2020

Quote:
And what’s the outlook for Manhattan West? Are you reevaluating it at all assuming there will be a lower demand for commercial space than when Brookfield first started working on the project?

No, we’re full steam ahead on the final tower. We were able to have it designated as essential construction, so there was a brief setback in the middle of the pandemic for about a week, but otherwise we’re right back on track. The rest of the complex is virtually fully leased, so the task ahead is really related to Two Manhattan West, which is about 25 percent leased already and won’t be completed for three more years, so we have a lot of time to take care of that.

We probably will not be where we thought we would be at the end of this year with respect to leasing. There’s never a perfect time for something like this to happen, but if you could have picked a time for it to happen, this is the right time.
Quote:
So you aren’t worried that there will be less demand for office space after the pandemic with so many people working from home?

I always laugh when somebody asks me, “Are you worried that everybody’s just going to start working from home, and they won’t need an office anymore?” I say to them, “Well, how are you enjoying working from home?” And they say, “Oh, it’s terrible. I can’t wait to get back to the office.”

I think that’s the way most people feel. There are lots of conversations around preferring to have more flexibility and being able to work from home. But the idea of working from home fulltime does not seem to have much appeal. I think we’ll see certain changes in the way that companies utilize their offices, but we don’t see this as an existential threat.

How have you liked working from home?

I hate it. I can’t wait to get back.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 12:51 PM

^ I am sure his office is expansive, decorated very nicely and is bigger than most's NYC apartments. For every one comment like his I wager there are 3-4 average joes who sit in a large cube farm/bullpen who would take a 10% paycut to work from home in perpetuity....

methinks he doth protest too much

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction