HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:58 AM

At the risk of creating more furor, all it is, is just another crazy concept. Not nearly as hideous as the original knife-bladed roof tops created by Leibeskind, but something I'm sure will be tweaked and adjusted.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:03 AM

This thread had me worried with those renderings. Thought they were real for a second.

What's more realistic to me is that Silverstein might want to take Foster's design and maximize the possible square footage out of the existing footprint. Perhaps by taking a page out of the BIG design and adding setbacks to the western portion of the tower. Something like this:

Nixing the four diamonds or modifying the height seems too far out of the question, and I don't think Foster would want to see something like that happen to his baby.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 9:22 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Frankly, I don't see a huge difference. In fact, when I first saw it, I thought it was inspired by the Foster design, from the diamond top to the facade.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAD

I really like it! It has the height and mass, striking edges yet has a nice simplicity to it. It seems it would fit into the complex nicely. Almost a mix of some the the existing WTC towers. Really liking that the roof height and massing is more of a nod and a wink of the original 2WTC than any other rendering to this point.

Last edited by CHAPINM1; Feb 21, 2020 at 2:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:31 PM
New Yorker for life

^ To me, it really is just the Foster design, with the facade just reflective of the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeRyan View Post
What's more realistic to me is that Silverstein might want to take Foster's design and maximize the possible square footage out of the existing footprint. Perhaps by taking a page out of the BIG design and adding setbacks to the western portion of the tower.

Nixing the four diamonds or modifying the height seems too far out of the question, and I don't think Foster would want to see something like that happen to his baby.

Whatever modifications Foster makes to his design, it will still have to stand taller than tower 3.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:49 PM
New Yorker for life

This one will show better why I feel it's similar to Foster's design...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B81TZojJFpo/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:58 PM

those chevrons suck. A stupid gimmick. Additionally, they trick the eye to make the tower appear that it is leaning towards Tower 1. BIG's design did the same thing with its cantilever setbacks. Can we please have none of that where two supertalls collapsed?

Foster's design by comparison appears stronger while providing deference to the memorial and 1 WTC, and most seem to agree it is far more handsome.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 5:17 PM
New Yorker for life

I don't see it as leaning, though I do see the chamfered edges as more a reflection of the Freedom Tower. Makes me all that more curious as to what Foster will do.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 6:09 PM

Quote:
I don't see it as leaning, though I do see the chamfered edges as more a reflection of the Freedom Tower.
I agree, and I think this a stunning design. It keeps the best of Foster’s, the diamond tops, while abstracting them down to a single diamond, but continuing them down all along the facade, the chamfers echoing and calling out to the tapered angles of 1 World Trade, and somehow making the latter look better. Not identical twins, they become like fraternal twins. If only this would be built! It makes the whole complex look better, completes the restoration of the skyline, and would be the star of the show, IMO. It’s not going to get built, of course, but still, one can dream.

This is from Palma and Partners: Palma A lot of stunning stuff there. Most of these just seem to be concepts or proposals, though.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 7:04 PM
DENNAB

Palma's proposal is okay, doesn't really work that well with the complex though, I like Foster's original better.

Those sky gardens though, pretty awesome.

I take it Palma's is just a concept and not a real contender?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 7:11 PM

Big LOL. Absolute schlock. Completely out of line with and in opposition to the overall style of the rest of the complex. College architecture. Belongs in Dubai.

NEXT.

Quote:
This one will show better why I feel it's similar to Foster's design...

Jesus Christ. My eyes.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 7:23 PM

Each to his own. Of course I still like best Foster's ORIGINAL Kissing Towers design, a lost opportunity if ever there was one.

Yeah, it's just a concept, not a contender to be built. Agree the sky gardens are cool. Softens the top.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:10 PM

Palma does ALOT of concepts, i don't think i have ever seen a physical Palma building

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Who cares? He's dead, and so is his awful school of architecture. Get over it. The Twin Towers were a scar on the city's landscape.
#MustTrollHarder

Oh and that design by palmaandpartners. Yuck. Though the site look so disjointed looking towards the south. 7WTC is mostly to blame. So generic and boring. Shame 5WTC can't be taller to fill that gap between 2WTC and 1WTC.

That was another thing so great about the Twins. They dominated the skyline from every view point. The new site only really looks good from the south/south west. Once 2WTC goes up it will block most of 1WTC from a lot of the famous Brooklyn Bridge vantage points.

Yeh. Nicely thoughout site plan design folks.

Quote:
This thread had me worried with those renderings. Thought they were real for a second.

What's more realistic to me is that Silverstein might want to take Foster's design and maximize the possible square footage out of the existing footprint. Perhaps by taking a page out of the BIG design and adding setbacks to the western portion of the tower. Something like this:

I like this idea alot. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 11:08 PM

So are we back to the old Diamond top design?

Thank god because that stack of boxes was terrible.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 12:09 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looks like the graphics card failed on that rendering.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 10:42 PM
Sydney

Quote:

If external modifications are inevitable, fingers absolutely crossed for this idea! It would be the most sympathetic modification to the original, probably the only thing they can do short of a completely new superstructure design. Quick Photoshop job by me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
#MustTrollHarder
Though the site look so disjointed looking towards the south. 7WTC is mostly to blame. So generic and boring. Shame 5WTC can't be taller to fill that gap between 2WTC and 1WTC.

That was another thing so great about the Twins. They dominated the skyline from every view point. The new site only really looks good from the south/south west. Once 2WTC goes up it will block most of 1WTC from a lot of the famous Brooklyn Bridge vantage points.
That's the problem with decades of redesigning and conflicts between multiple owners and architects. The Twins were a wholistic masterplan, Yamasaki knew exactly what he was doing and nailed the complex's skyline impact. The new masterplan was envisioned by Libeskind, who in the end did not get to design a single building in the complex. The masterplan called for an actual spiral of complementary mid-rise buildings with a single centrepiece supertall. Making each building a starchitect-designed supertall was great for the individual buildings' quality, but went against the masterplan in that buildings of similar height now blocked each other off from important angles. One of the many great things about the Foster tower was that it let at least 1WTC's crown to peek through towards Brooklyn.

Last edited by Xing Lin; Feb 22, 2020 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
If external modifications are inevitable, fingers absolutely crossed for this idea! It would be the most sympathetic modification to the original, probably the only thing they can do short of a completely new superstructure design. Quick Photoshop job by me:

That's the problem with decades of redesigning and conflicts between multiple owners and architects. The Twins were a wholistic masterplan, Yamasaki knew exactly what he was doing and nailed the complex's skyline impact. The new masterplan was envisioned by Libeskind, who in the end did not get to design a single building in the complex. The masterplan called for an actual spiral of complementary mid-rise buildings with a single centrepiece supertall. Making each building a starchitect-designed supertall was great for the individual buildings' quality, but went against the masterplan in that buildings of similar height now blocked each other off from important angles. One of the many great things about the Foster tower was that it let at least 1WTC's crown to peek through towards Brooklyn.
Yeh it's a shame. Many will just reflect what a waste in decades to come. To have new Twins looking over the memorials would have been so perfect. The skyline would have been whole again.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 1:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 1:51 AM
DENNAB

Nice shot ^^^ I don't like the white bracings but other than that it's cool.

Is that a real proposal?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 1:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Nice shot ^^^ I don't like the white bracings but other than that it's cool.

Is that a real proposal?
No, just an alternative design. Foster will be revising his own design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction