HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 12:55 AM
Concerned Citizen

Just saw this, thought I would share.

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-st...7uDrc8YOQUr1jc

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 2:38 PM

I assume this would be geared to DINKs, as there's no where for children to play.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:47 PM

Six-Storey Dump Looms

Stoney Creek’s Taro industrial dump sold yet again
(Stoney Creek News, Richard Leitner, May 3 2021)

Upper Stoney Creek’s Taro industrial dump is changing ownership for a third time since 2005, with its new boss vowing to “ramp up” fill rates.

Vaughan-based GFL Environmental Inc. is buying current owner Terrapure Environmental for $927.5 million in a deal expected to be closed by this fall.

The purchase acquires nearly all other Terrapure operations in Canada, including four Hamilton processing yards.

But GFL chief executive officer Patrick Dovigi repeatedly highlighted the dump as the big prize during a conference call with investors.

He said GFL had already considered buying the Green Mountain Road site in 2014 and 2019, but didn’t want a battery business now excluded from the deal.

“Getting a landfill asset like we’re getting that is within spitting distance of the Greater Toronto Area, that has just recently got a 14-plus-year expansion, I mean, I think that’s an extremely unique opportunity,” Dovigi said during the March 16 call.

“I think the interesting part of this expansion was they got a vertical expansion, not a horizontal expansion — so far — so when you think about it from a (dump) liner perspective, the cost to go up is a lot cheaper than going wide.”

GFL is acquiring Terrapure from private equity firm Birch Hill Equity Partners, which bought the site and related businesses from Newalta Corp. for $300 million in February 2015, unveiling expansion plans a year later.

The expansion received provincial approval in October 2019, increasing the waste capacity to 10.18 million cubic metres — up from 6.5 million — and raising the maximum height by 2.5 metres, to 21 metres above street level.

It also restored an original 59-hectare footprint approved in 1996 by once again allowing waste in an 18-hectare section along Green Mountain Road.…

The site can receive up to 750,000 tonnes of waste per year, but Dovigi said Terrapure “backed off” during the expansion approval process, taking 275,000 to 300,000 tonnes in recent years.

He said he expects annual fill rates to rise to 600,000 to 700,000.…

Coun. Brad Clark, who led the fight against the dump’s 1996 approval but later became a Terrapure consultant, said GFL will be bound by all licence conditions, including a maximum of 250 trucks and 8,000 tonnes per weekday.

“My expectation is we won’t see much of a change, but we’ll have to wait and see,” he said.

Read it in full here.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:00 PM

I mean the faster the fill rate the faster it fills up and can be capped I guess.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:37 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I mean the faster the fill rate the faster it fills up and can be capped I guess.
The worry for me is that a faster fill may lead to an ask to expand again (not just vertically this time). Given the way the provincial cons have handled conservation area issues and allegedly kowtowed to the development industry, GFL may feel they'll get a friendlier reception if that happens sooner rather than later.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:21 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 1:29 PM

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 1:14 PM

subdivision to replace the CHCH tower, which is moving to Dundas:

Quote:
ZAC-22-029

481 FIRST RD W

To develop 380 dwelling units in which 21 are single detached dwellings, 231 are freehold townhouse dwellings, and 128 are condominium townhouse dwellings. A total of 398 parking spaces are proposed across the site.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 1:32 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
subdivision to replace the CHCH tower, which is moving to Dundas:
Wow. That will be a big change. I looked out at that tower all through my childhood (visible from my bedroom window; I remember when it had red lights, and how the timing of the flash pattern often got scrambled after it was hit by lightning). And you can see it from so many parts of the city.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 1:39 PM

yup. The new tower will be of similar size and is going to be at 367 Highway 5, north of Dundas. It's been in the works for a while now. Sort of makes sense since CHCH moved their studio to Waterdown.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
yup. The new tower will be of similar size and is going to be at 367 Highway 5, north of Dundas. It's been in the works for a while now. Sort of makes sense since CHCH moved their studio to Waterdown.
So that's why Mizener's closed -- either to sell for the tower facility, or they were closing anyway and it became available.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 7:05 PM

I wondered if they were going to keep the tower after they started building houses around it. Was that area all previously the Nash farm?

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 1:41 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhimark View Post
I wondered if they were going to keep the tower after they started building houses around it. Was that area all previously the Nash farm?
Did the Nash family have land above the escarpment too? There used to be a narrow road just west of Centennial that went up the escarpment -- very steep, but from what I recall it was paved (and I think it was very broken pavement at the time I "discovered it" on my bike as a teenager in the early/mid 1980s). I remember wondering if it was a private road because I could not remember reading historical notes about a mountain access in that area; your question about Nash farmland up there made me wonder if that road was theirs.

I think this is it, connected between Centennial partway up the grade and where Glover Mountain Rd. becomes a private drive. I may have followed a trail eastward off the Greenhill reservoir that led there.
Satellite:
https://goo.gl/maps/2Mv57CmDzmCaHB6t8
Streetviews from bottom and top:
https://goo.gl/maps/BP293E1X1p3YyK6K8
https://goo.gl/maps/mSqCekXKALU9SKjp9

Further edit: The neighbourhood blocks west of Upper Centennial, between the escarpment and Mud St., are named "Nash North" and "Nash South"
https://map.hamilton.ca/Static/PDFs/...LL%20Named.pdf

Last edited by ScreamingViking; May 18, 2022 at 2:24 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Did the Nash family have land above the escarpment too? There used to be a narrow road just west of Centennial that went up the escarpment -- very steep, but from what I recall it was paved (and I think it was very broken pavement at the time I "discovered it" on my bike as a teenager in the early/mid 1980s). I remember wondering if it was a private road because I could not remember reading historical notes about a mountain access in that area; your question about Nash farmland up there made me wonder if that road was theirs.

I think this is it, connected between Centennial partway up the grade and where Glover Mountain Rd. becomes a private drive. I may have followed a trail eastward off the Greenhill reservoir that led there.
Satellite:
https://goo.gl/maps/2Mv57CmDzmCaHB6t8
Streetviews from bottom and top:
https://goo.gl/maps/BP293E1X1p3YyK6K8
https://goo.gl/maps/mSqCekXKALU9SKjp9

Further edit: The neighbourhood blocks west of Upper Centennial, between the escarpment and Mud St., are named "Nash North" and "Nash South"
https://map.hamilton.ca/Static/PDFs/...LL%20Named.pdf
I'd seen an old aerial photo that showed that private drive but can't find it now The upper part of the private drive was used on The Red Green show. They really should've named one of the new subdivision streets after him.

Was it too steep to ride your bike up there?

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 12:12 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I'd seen an old aerial photo that showed that private drive but can't find it now The upper part of the private drive was used on The Red Green show. They really should've named one of the new subdivision streets after him.

Was it too steep to ride your bike up there?
I don't recall much; vague recollection of riding around the roads on top so I likely did. I don't think it was too steep for that, but definitely steeper than other mountain access roads in the city. This one is probably more like the grade of the steepest sections of Dewitt or McNeilly, or Mount Albion Road's final climb up the cut when it was open.

There must be some history about that farm and those lands somewhere.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
There must be some history about that farm and those lands somewhere.
This lost access will show up on the old Saltfleet Township maps found at possibly the Central Library.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 1:29 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher_of_cats View Post
This lost access will show up on the old Saltfleet Township maps found at possibly the Central Library.
The Reeds map collection at Mac may have something as well. I'll take a look later when I have a chance, I believe they've digitized most of them for access online.

Old Posted May 19, 2022, 9:48 PM

Quote:
The Reeds map collection at Mac may have something as well. I'll take a look later when I have a chance, I believe they've digitized most of them for access online.
This image shows the drive fairly clearly:

https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/i...acrepo%3A80259

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:45 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
This image shows the drive fairly clearly:

https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/i...acrepo%3A80259
Thanks!

Anyone know what that industrial-looking complex was near the north end of what's now Quigley Rd., between the CP line and the valley next to King? The Shamrock Gardens and Luval Estates townhouses are there now.

Old Posted May 21, 2022, 3:54 PM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Thanks!

Anyone know what that industrial-looking complex was near the north end of what's now Quigley Rd., between the CP line and the valley next to King? The Shamrock Gardens townhouses are there now.
The 1969 directory says this site was home to Quigley Construction, and Blackwood & Hodge Equip., Ltd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs