HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:23 PM

St Boniface Area | Winnipeg | Development

Last edited by Cyro; Jan 6, 2016 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 4:28 PM

Breathing new life into St. B
Neighbourhood thriving as an alternative to downtown
Real Estate By: Murray McNeill

Quote:
A string of new infill developments is helping bring new life to two of St. Boniface's oldest commercial strips: Marion and Goulet.

The most recent developments include five infill projects on Marion Street and one on Goulet Street.
The Marion Street projects include the redevelopment of a two-storey retail/office complex on the northeast corner of Marion and Taché Avenue; the redevelopment of an older apartment block on the southeast corner of the same intersection; a new four-storey condominium complex at the corner of Marion and Traverse Street; a new one-storey, 2,400-square-foot retail strip mall on another corner of the same intersection, and a new A&W Restaurant next to the Marion Hotel.
Con't @ http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...317509351.html

Passing by Marion and Tache the other day I couldn't help but notice the amount of completed and current projects underway. Hence the thread for the area.

This past google view on Marion and Tache was a great example. The building is currently being renovated and the Grade level CRU is nearing completion as well..

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:03 PM

In the theme of change in the area, I'll put in a plug for an old friend of mine who recently became a Dr. ChiroFit Winnnipeg (chiropractic and some sort of pilates rehab) recently took over and renovated 281 Tache, across from Mrs. Mikes. By renovate I mean paint a craptastic looking building to make it slightly less craptastic.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:13 PM

https://www.towersrealty.ca/building/300tache/

These are the apartments that have been put into the building on the Southeast corner of the Marion/Tache intersection.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:35 PM

That's a map of just old Saint Boniface. Missing is Windsor Park, Niakwa Park, Niakwa Place, Southdale, Southland Park, Island Lakes, Royalwood, Sage Creek

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 5:38 PM

Those are the boundaries that define the St. Boniface ward for Provincial elections.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post
That's a map of just old Saint Boniface. Missing is Windsor Park, Niakwa Park, Niakwa Place, Southdale, Southland Park, Island Lakes, Royalwood, Sage Creek
I'm not that intimately acquainted with this part of the city, but would someone from Windsor Park or Sage Creek really consider themselves as a resident of St. Boniface?

cyro's map of the provincial riding is a lot more closely aligned with what I'd consider to be St. Boniface.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 6:26 PM

Windsor Park possibly. "St. Boniface" extends all the way east to City limits at Plessis, and maybe further. St. Boniface Rd intersects with the east Perimeter.

But most people don't associate that with the St. Boniface area around Provencher.

Sage Creek, Island Lakes, etc is St. Vital.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Windsor Park possibly. "St. Boniface" extends all the way east to City limits at Plessis, and maybe further. St. Boniface Rd intersects with the east Perimeter.

But most people don't associate that with the St. Boniface area around Provencher.

Sage Creek, Island Lakes, etc is St. Vital.
What? What city do you live in? Every area I mentioned including Sage Creek, Island Lakes are part of Saint-Boniface whether you associate them or not.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post
What? What city do you live in? Every area I mentioned including Sage Creek, Island Lakes are part of Saint-Boniface whether you associate them or not.
Why does your association trump his? Do you have any official declaration that's part of St. Boniface besides your say so?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:08 PM

for most sports, St.B means all Royalwood, Island Lakes, Southdale, etc.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
for most sports, St.B means all Royalwood, Island Lakes, Southdale, etc.
Probably broken along the lines of the civic election district which I believe is the same. But I highly doubt people living in Island lakes or southdale consider themselves to be living in St. Boniface

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:19 PM

TO the smart asses who i assume dont vote educate yourself on the city. Who cares what federal or provincal ridings. Winnipeg is a unicity and the wards are usually divided into what those former city areas were. http://www.winnipeg.ca/council/wardmap/default.asp

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:23 PM

According to this map, the pre-unicity City of St. Boniface actually extended down pretty far to the southeast to what I presume must have been farmland back in the old days... looks to go at least as far as Windsor Park/Southdale, if not further.

Source: MHS

Huh. Ya learn something every day. Though I have to admit that I never would have thought anything southeast of Archibald and Fermor would have any claim to being part of St. Boniface.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:30 PM

Lived almost my entire life in parts of Saint-Boniface and St. Vital.

I guess according to some of you when people in Island Lakes and Sage Creek want to speak with their city councillor, they shouldn't call Matt Allard anymore? I guess their teams don't use Southdale Community Club anymore either, etc......

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
TO the smart asses who i assume dont vote educate yourself on the city. Who cares what federal or provincal ridings. Winnipeg is a unicity and the wards are usually divided into what those former city areas were. http://www.winnipeg.ca/council/wardmap/default.asp
Electoral wards and neighbourhoods are different things. Nobody refers to themselves as living in Old Kildonan. This thread is referring to the neighbourhood that is commonly known as St. Boniface amongst the people of the city. Not the electoral ward of St. Boniface.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:42 PM

Winnipeg.ca (UD) : 2006 Census

Is this map, albeit from 2006 more preferable?

http://winnipeg.ca/census/2006/Commu...st/default.asp

If posters prefer another map, please post it and I'll change the OP k?..

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Winnipeg.ca (UD) : 2006 Census

Is this map, albeit from 2006 more preferable?

http://winnipeg.ca/census/2006/Commu...st/default.asp

If posters prefer another map, please post it and I'll change the OP k?..
I prefer the original one. To me the spirit of the thread wasn't to discuss the happenings in Island Lakes or Sage Creek. But maybe I'm misinterpreting what the thread was supposed to be about.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I prefer the original one. To me the spirit of the thread wasn't to discuss the happenings in Island Lakes or Sage Creek. But maybe I'm misinterpreting what the thread was supposed to be about.
I agree.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 8:19 PM

I grew up living on Fifth Ave. Carriere was one street over. As kids we used to stand on opposite sides of Carriere and shout across, "I'm in St. Vital, I'm in St. Boniface". That was the boarder to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan