HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

View Poll Results: Which route should be twinned? Quelle route doit-on élargir?
11 8 20.51%
17 31 79.49%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 4:03 AM

I'm not at all surprised that the study has been cancelled. It's not important to the Ontario government.

I was hoping that at the very least an access road would be built, basically like the main logging roads you'll find here that are not paved but can handle transports. So in the event of an emergency closure, goods and people could take that alternative route.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 3:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I'm not at all surprised that the study has been cancelled. It's not important to the Ontario government.

I was hoping that at the very least an access road would be built, basically like the main logging roads you'll find here that are not paved but can handle transports. So in the event of an emergency closure, goods and people could take that alternative route.
Yea today I just realized that there’s one from 101 to Kapuskasing.

In that case, the cheapest solution really may just be bridging the gap between the two goat paths around Polly Lake.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 7:59 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://nipigonalternateaccess.ca/wp...n-Report_0.pdf

For anyone interested, check out D7 on slide 18.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Yea today I just realized that there’s one from 101 to Kapuskasing.

In that case, the cheapest solution really may just be bridging the gap between the two goat paths around Polly Lake.
The road you are referring to is Nova Road which goes from Hwy 101 just a bit East of Foleyet and ends in Moonbeam at Hwy 11. It used to be two separate logging roads that were connected. It is Chain of Lakes Road at the Northern section. Clear Lake Road from Kapuskasing also connects to it.

I have never driven that road but want to and try some of the remote lakes for fishing.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 3:12 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Meanwhile, I've been hung up on Shabaqua Freeway for a while.
@vid, which one (if any) rings a bell to you? The more northerly alignment is sandwiched between Pole Line Road and Oliver Road, and the southerly one is closer to the current Highway 11-17:
https://imgur.com/a/WsSyqmt
Lol, from Sistonens Corners to Shabaqua Corners, I'm totally passing my road-geek dream as Possible M.T.O. Proposal:
https://imgur.com/a/ZCCjDMk

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 3:34 AM
I am a typical

This one: https://imgur.com/a/WsSyqmt the faint red line, that's about what I think the plan that used to be online was proposing. I can't find the files, but I found this: https://northernontariommts.files.wo...2016-11-29.pdf

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 3:42 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Oh wow the admin from the highway group on Facebook was right - It really doesn’t make sense to abandon that much of the Shabaqua Extension.

As for that document, I’ve seen it before. Heh 185 pages... How am I supposed to read all of them...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:19 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontarios-highway-programs
Surprise! Surprise!! Surprise!!! Even select projects along the Thunder Bay - Nipigon Corridor made the list too. Michael Gravelle must have had a nice chat with Greg Rickford.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 12:28 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://imgur.com/a/VCnw9IM
This is Highway 17 & Renfrew County Road 63. Speed limit has been reduced to 70 kph.
Huh okay. I’ve always thought the interchange will be at Calabogie Road instead.
I also witnessed a close call. Someone turned onto the 17 from County Road 63. The guy that was already on the 17 was too fast so he had to pass and honk. Then I heard the rumble strip.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

If the proposal for both the EW and NS roads to the Ring of Fire ever goes anywhere, it would represent an alternate EW road link to the TCH at Nipigon. Not really practical as an EDR, but maybe significant in a strategic sense.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
This is Highway 17 & Renfrew County Road 63. Speed limit has been reduced to 70 kph.
Huh okay. I’ve always thought the interchange will be at Calabogie Road instead.
I also witnessed a close call. Someone turned onto the 17 from County Road 63. The guy that was already on the 17 was too fast so he had to pass and honk. Then I heard the rumble strip.
Maybe it'll be just an overpass for county road 63.(partial interchange)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 6:45 PM

Quote:
I didn't think that the twinning had started yet. Interesting. I will be very happy with an interchange in that area though. When I go to Calabogie, I take the 17 until Calabogie Rd. On the way back to Pembroke, I take the Burnstown Rd to Renfrew. Not willing to make the sketchy left turn onto 17.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 7:59 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Even right turns can be scary.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:45 PM

Quote:
This construction is just for a culvert replacement. While I'm sure this culvert has been designed with the twinned highway in mind, this construction doesn't have anything to do with the proposal to widen Highway 17 between Arnprior and Renfrew.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
This construction is just for a culvert replacement. While I'm sure this culvert has been designed with the twinned highway in mind, this construction doesn't have anything to do with the proposal to widen Highway 17 between Arnprior and Renfrew.
It has been

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
No Interchange here when twinning happens, both road access will be shut down, no bridge either. There will be a new road on the north side that runs parallel to the highway and connects to Calabogie Road. South side already kinda has a natural route that is only 2.5km long to get back to the highway.

Was it an issue with the Concrete Barrier and sight visibility ? Despite it being posted 70km/h for I've noticed people don't actually slow down until almost at the construction site.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 4:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I don't know. People should drive prudently around cone zones to begin with.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 9:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...j0&usp=sharing

Nearly a decade ago, the then Liberal minority government undertook to map out the route for a freeway from Denlou (Sudbury) to Desbarats, but no one seemed to know what became of the project, so I tried it myself. Some parts may make sense but I don’t know about others.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
No Interchange here when twinning happens, both road access will be shut down, no bridge either. There will be a new road on the north side that runs parallel to the highway and connects to Calabogie Road. South side already kinda has a natural route that is only 2.5km long to get back to the highway.

Was it an issue with the Concrete Barrier and sight visibility ? Despite it being posted 70km/h for I've noticed people don't actually slow down until almost at the construction site.
How do you know this? Are plans posted somewhere?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 1:08 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I'm reposting from the main forum.
After working on this for 4 months, I'm happy to announce that I've finally finished (unofficially) examining the preliminary route options for extending Highway 417 across Ontario. Here's the map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...j0&usp=sharing
445 km of Highway 17 either has been planned with publicly available route maps or even already has divided 4 lanes, so I've basically "taken over" the other 1519 km. You guys should take a look at the portion from Nipigon to Sault Sainte Marie.
(Warning: It may take 40 minutes to view everything.)

Okay I really need to get back to preparing for a job interview now. Maybe I will take a look for Highway 11 in September. I have tons of stuff on my plate right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario