HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 12:43 AM

^Well said my good man

To Utopia!!!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 12:50 AM

I assume you were being sarcastic. By abolishing the death penalty, Canada took one more step towards civility. But I believe our social values are different than what they once used to be.
Perhaps Canada should make some punishments more severe.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 12:52 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
"There is no drug problems there, as the penality for dealing drugs is a death sentence. Its basic and fair in my view. Sadly the justice system in Canada is willing to risk the lives of society to protect the crime trade."

Yes, the number one priority of Canada's legal system is maintaining a steady flow of drugs to the population. It's our own fault for not killing pot heads when we had the chance!!

Yes, let's bring back the death penalty and make it the punishment for every crime! That way, we will live in a crime free utopia!
I think it is much more fair to put the penality of death on those to try to profit off the the weakness of children and addicts than to allow it to be virtually unpunished, while destroying people, families, neighbourhoods and a significant impact on society as a whole.

Its not like more people die in Singapore as a result of the drug trade than do in Manitoba. Infact death is limited to a very very few . A much better record than Canada or even Manitoba has acheived with its .. lets just ignore the problem .. and pretend nobody gets hurt policies. While the drug trade and gangs run rampant in the streets.

Yeah you're right... thats MUCH better. We have found utopia!! IT IS IGNORANCE.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 1:02 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
I assume you were being sarcastic. By abolishing the death penalty, Canada took one more step towards civility. But I believe our social values are different than what they once used to be.
Perhaps Canada should make some punishments more severe.
Canada is really an open frontier for crime. .... but gee we have such a forgiving society.

You do the crime .. and we say "thats okay".... with a slap on the wrist.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 3:06 AM
I am a typical

Unless you're opposed to illegal mining on your land, in which case the government imprisons you.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 3:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Unless you're opposed to illegal mining on your land, in which case the government imprisons you.
wa?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 3:57 AM
I am a typical

Yeah, it's gotten lots of national coverage.

http://news.google.ca/news?hl=en&q=k...-8&sa=N&tab=wn

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 10:15 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post
I'm confused. Isnt Allstream just based in Toronto and MTS HQ is still based in Winnipeg? And they are selling the office tower to move into another part of downtown?

I know that canwest has moved some departments from the HQ to other cities in canada but the coporate HQ is still based in Winnipeg.
http://www.canwest.com/about/fact_sheet.asp...
well thats messed up, i thought MTS Allstream was totally based in winnipeg, being that MTS purchased Allstream out of Ontario. As far as Canwest i heard that the local winnipeg station which was ran out of winnipeg, will now be being controlled from Calgary which isn't really ran locally, so i assumed that if thats happening that they've moved the HQ to Calgary.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 10:17 AM
Youth of a Nation

btw did canwest change their logo? looks like it, didn't really notice.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 5:17 PM
I am a typical

Canwest did change their logo, and all Global stations are operated out of Toronto. Instead of hiring 50 technicians for 10 TV stations, they hire 5 an have them control everything.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:23 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
On my recent trip to Singapore, I immediately noticed the benefits of having an extremely low crime rates, which Singapore enjoys. The downtown is busy day and night with people. Young women dressed up, walking around Clark Quay or Boat Quay with little sign of concern for there safety. People enjoying the urban lifestyle without crime.

There is no drug problems there, as the penality for dealing drugs is a death sentence. Its basic and fair in my view. Sadly the justice system in Canada is willing to risk the lives of society to protect the crime trade.

In Singapore most crimes are met with severe penalities (no probation for auto theft), the result is little to no crime in the whole city (over 4.5 million people). People know if you want o break the law you shouldn't consider Singapore.

One of the things that suprised me the most, is the limited police presence in the city. I didn't see a police vehilce until my third day. I guess they realize the cost benefit of such low crime rates.
The US is the only modern Western country with the Death Penalty (for murder), so you think that our homicide rate is low, right??

BZZZZZZZ-WRONGO!!!!

Our homicide rate is the highest in the fully developed world!!!

Your argument just got thrown in the dumpster.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 12:27 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Who exactly has been imprisoned for "opposing" illegal mining on his or her land? I take it that this is alleged to have occurred somewhere in the Greater Metro Thunder Bay Region?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 12:32 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
The US is the only modern Western country with the Death Penalty (for murder), so you think that our homicide rate is low, right??

BZZZZZZZ-WRONGO!!!!

The percentage of murders in the U.S. in which the murderer is executed is extremely small, though, so except in a few states where executions are numerous (although even then often only after a decade or two of appeals) one wouldn't really expect the threat of the death penalty to have that much effect on the rates. Many U.S. murders are committed by members of violent gangs whose life expectancy on Death Row could actually be longer than their life expectancy on the street.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 2:57 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post

BZZZZZZZ-WRONGO!!!!

Singapore has among the lowest criminal rates of any democratic country in the world... because the penalty of commiting crime is a major deterant to crime. FYI: Singapore is a very modern, wealthy western-like city, with a strong Asian infuence. Nick-name: the Emerald City.

The US has the highest homocide rates primarily because of the ease of access to deadly weapons, as well as wide spread drug crimes. Eliminate those issues and your homicide rates would be much much lower.

Also note that very few murders get the dealth penalty in the US.... but in Singapore all drug dealers face the dealth penalty if found guilty. ie: no repeat offenders. Its a fair law, and its on the sign as you enter the country, so there is no suprises.

Guess what?? There is no Hells Angles chapter in Singapore. Just to dangerous to operate there. There are no gang wars there, killing innocent people. Its a very safe city for all citizens.

I guess its your theory which has fallen in the dumpster.

Last edited by newflyer; Apr 10, 2008 at 3:14 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan