HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 3:36 PM

It fits in with the surrounding area and will be a nice hotel hopefully with a good brand. The lack of retail part is probably a good thing. That street carries 0 foot traffic and any retail space would probably sit vacant. Would like to see Mill ave thrive a bit more first with some more day time attractions rather than just bars.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 4:18 PM

Really disappointing...The Salt River Tribe is proposing to develop two 3 story office buildings directly north of the Phoenix rising stadium. The plan shows a grid like street system assuming they are prepping to develop the larger stadium project at some point. I'll try and post some of the renderings this evening. It's disappointing because it's two three story office buildings surrounded by surfacing parking...retention basin fronting McClintock and it looks like it has no plans to integrate into a "neighborhood" for the future development. The project is called Solterra at Akimel 7.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 10:46 PM

https://app.oxblue.com/open/mamorten...tthousetempeaz

You can see the parking garage under construction next to the Hyatt House. Looks like no movement for the apartment site. You can also see Mirabella looming in the distance.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 11:49 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Really disappointing...The Salt River Tribe is proposing to develop two 3 story office buildings directly north of the Phoenix rising stadium. The plan shows a grid like street system assuming they are prepping to develop the larger stadium project at some point. I'll try and post some of the renderings this evening. It's disappointing because it's two three story office buildings surrounded by surfacing parking...retention basin fronting McClintock and it looks like it has no plans to integrate into a "neighborhood" for the future development. The project is called Solterra at Akimel 7.
The freeway office sprawl is a given. Fortunately because non-tribal residents can't live on Native land it will never become yet another "neighborhood" or in any high demand. This is just the typical corridor schlock that will deteriorate before the next big thing like any other and then what. Options are constrained on Native land that gives us that and not much more, forever.

On the other hand, I wonder what kind of commercial dystopia could materialize if the SRPMIC's farms were built up into something like a blend the San Francisco Peninsula's 101 corridor, the sports districts like Westgate or Inglewood, the Cities of Vernon or Industry in Southern California or West Phoenix's industrial sprawl, and finally, that rotten piece of unincorporated land in north Tempe...

Probably in my lifetime but I hope not.

Last edited by combusean; Jul 26, 2019 at 12:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:56 PM

Apartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
https://app.oxblue.com/open/mamorten...tthousetempeaz

You can see the parking garage under construction next to the Hyatt House. Looks like no movement for the apartment site. You can also see Mirabella looming in the distance.
Someone said on here a couple weeks ago that the apartment company canceled the project.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
So it looks like a hotel is being proposed for the last open parcel on the City owned land at 5th and Farmer (SE Corner along the tracks). Disappointed that it's only going to be a 5 story hotel with no retail...but it will be about the same height as those apartment blocks to the south...at least with this and the office buildings proposed on the northern end and the apartments expected to start on the southern end of Farmer, hopefully it starts taking shape into a new interesting urban street.
Rendering of the proposed hotel:

I'd prefer residences, but I'm not gonna complaint. I like the rendering. And while I agree it would be nice to maximize height in downtown-adjacent areas like this, I just don't think there's the appetite for it, neither with the City Council or the adjacent neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 5:37 PM

Latest rendering for the doomed 979 Playa del Norte lot with the low-hanging power lines:

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Latest rendering for the doomed 979 Playa del Norte lot with the low-hanging power lines:

Nice! Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBar View Post
For a few days the Westin site work had kind of stopped and the signs with the construction contractor's name were missing.(Earlier the contractor was SUNDT.) Now signs with a different construction contractor (BDC) name has appeared. (I don't have a picture of that. Will post one later.) The new signs have the same construction contractor (BDC) as the current construction contractor of "Collective". Since the two sites are adjacent and one wall of the underground part (almost) rests against "Collective" the same construction contractor (BDC) will make it easier to co-ordinate.
Following up on this, they are finally installing column rebar and there is an obstruction evaluation for a 282' crane for the Westin, so this one should begin growing out of the hole.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Following up on this, they are finally installing column rebar and there is an obstruction evaluation for a 282' crane for the Westin, so this one should begin growing out of the hole.
Crane City!! Whole peripheral of ASU is under construction on all sides/corners. What a cycle it has been. More to come too!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 5:55 PM

I missed that Tempe had done an RFP for the Pier 202 lots by the Pier. They are everyone negotiations with the sole bidder. Here's hoping.

https://roselawgroupreporter.com/201...2-development/

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
I missed that Tempe had done an RFP for the Pier 202 lots by the Pier. They are everyone negotiations with the sole bidder. Here's hoping.

https://roselawgroupreporter.com/201...2-development/
I am hoping the sole bidder one with experience building high profile developments here in phoenix. All too often you see some out of state big shot come in with big plans only to fall short and end up land banking for a decade.

I reviewed the RFP process when it first came out so I would think they have some local expertise.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
I am hoping the sole bidder one with experience building high profile developments here in phoenix. All too often you see some out of state big shot come in with big plans only to fall short and end up land banking for a decade.

I reviewed the RFP process when it first came out so I would think they have some local expertise.
Digging into the LLC of the bidder, South Pier Tempe Holdings, LLC, looks like it's a Seattle-area developer, MC Construction. Looks like they do a lot of single-family home construction, but their big signature project is in Ruston, on the Tacoma-side of the Puget Sound, and it's a similarly-situated waterfront project called Point Ruston:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.2987...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.pointruston.com/

We could do worse for the former Pier 202 sites than that kind of low-rise, mid-density new-urbanist stuff. But can't help but feel that we could also do better. We'll see what the proposal is.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:08 PM

[/IMG]

Metro101

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:10 PM

[/IMG]

Eastline

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:13 PM

[/IMG]

Apache Terrace Mix Use

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:15 PM

[/IMG]

Novus

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:17 PM

[/IMG]
Novus

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:20 PM

[/IMG]

The Collective

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 11:22 PM

[/IMG]

Westin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest