HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
True and valid point. However, the data is strongly suggesting that we only have 5-10 years to nearly eliminate fossil fuel consumption on a global scale, before we reach a tipping point where climate change will occur more rapidly than a majority of species alive will be able to evolve and adapt to it. We have been aware of this since the mid to late 1970's. We're passing the 40 year mark for our learning curve and the 50 year mark may well be to little, to late. If the scientifically validated data isn't enough, what will be enough? Nothing except the facts can persuade my opinion, yet the facts are not persuading everyone's opinions? How about personal observations? Most of us have been alive long enough to have observed the changes in the climate. Yet this is not persuading everyone's opinions? What will it take to get everyone onboard? Is it greed that is blinding us? There are billions of dollars of oil left in the ground to convert into wealth. Is it just to hard to let it all go?
I think greed is huge, but I also think (I can’t speak for the worlds view but at least in America...) there are too many political influences out there convincing people that it’s no big deal...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
True and valid point. However, the data is strongly suggesting that we only have 5-10 years to nearly eliminate fossil fuel consumption on a global scale, before we reach a tipping point where climate change will occur more rapidly than a majority of species alive will be able to evolve and adapt to it. We have been aware of this since the mid to late 1970's. We're passing the 40 year mark for our learning curve and the 50 year mark may well be to little, to late. If the scientifically validated data isn't enough, what will be enough? Nothing except the facts can persuade my opinion, yet the facts are not persuading everyone's opinions? How about personal observations? Most of us have been alive long enough to have observed the changes in the climate. Yet this is not persuading everyone's opinions? What will it take to get everyone onboard? Is it greed that is blinding us? There are billions of dollars of oil left in the ground to convert into wealth. Is it just to hard to let it all go?
From my understanding, and I read as much on this topic as I can get my hands on, including Energy Skeptic blog and Our Finite World blog, there are very real practical obstacles to a transition from liquid fuels including but not limited to cost, EROI, precious metal availability, energy storage, etc etc

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 8:29 PM
Never Dell

We could do a million things without using new tech at all -- as individuals and as a country. Living closer to work, getting back to the gas mileage trajectory we were on recently, not driving 100 miles every weekend, having less stuff, whatever.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
A couple of development related items:

The building permit has been submitted for the Hyatt Centric Hotel at 18th and Curtis - 14 stories and 263 rooms.

A new concept plan submittal for Belleview Station - the site is directly north of the platform:
You mean 18th & Champa? I believe that is the small parking lot across from the Residence Inn.

Belleview Station is one of the more impressive recent TOD’s in Denver. There was literally nothing there 5 years ago. Now it has two office buildings and another U/C (soon to be HQ for 2 F500 companies Western Union and Newmont Mining), several apartment buildings, senior living and a number of good restaurants clustered along Newport Ave. In addition to this office proposal there are also plans for a high rise apartment tower and hotel along Chenango.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
We could do a million things without using new tech at all -- as individuals and as a country. Living closer to work, getting back to the gas mileage trajectory we were on recently, not driving 100 miles every weekend, having less stuff, whatever.
this driving 100 miles every weekend probably applies to coloradans as much as anybody. nobody back east is doing that. maybe we should close the mountains.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldurhamer View Post
this driving 100 miles every weekend probably applies to coloradans as much as anybody. nobody back east is doing that. maybe we should close the mountains.
100%. I can ride my bike to work everyday but on the weekends my goal is to mountain bike, and I'm going to drive my car far distances to do that.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:26 PM

And another one for the 38th and Blake Station... This one at 17-stories.

https://businessden.com/wp-content/u...19/06/c2-2.jpg

Not sure why the image isn't rendering

https://businessden.com/2019/07/01/m...oject-planned/

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:28 PM

McWhinney pays $6.5M for 38th and Blake site; 17-story project planned

https://businessden.com/2019/07/01/m...bf2a-148090113

I'm having a hard time keeping track of everything going on near 38th and Blake

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwill04 View Post

Sorry for the double post. Seems that I was a couple minutes behind. I'm excited to see that area in two to three years

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Sorry for the double post. Seems that I was a couple minutes behind. I'm excited to see that area in two to three years
Same. It has the potential to be another Union Station in terms of density and speed in which it develops if all of these projects move forward.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Same. It has the potential to be another Union Station in terms of density and speed in which it develops if all of these projects move forward.
You both beat me to posting the article! lol.......

Those poor folks over at DenverInfill.......

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 4:20 PM

Although current funding projections for not inspiring much confidence in this arena, it would be great to see that L line extension completed sooner rather than later to enhance CBD connectivity with the 38th and Blake station.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:

Nice looking project!

Last edited by CherryCreek; Jul 1, 2019 at 7:31 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Nice looking project!

[IMG]<src="https://businessden.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/c2-2.jpg" width="741" height="405">[/IMG]
not sure why you ended up with src-" before the https but let's try this:

Source

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
not sure why you ended up with src-" before the https but let's try this:

Source
Thanks! I suppose in some ways its another "container ship" type building, though a reasonably good looking one. I think this type of building in this setting - right across from the train station, is better placed then the exact same building along a major urban corridor such as Welton. Nonetheless, I wish they could half the width and double the height!

Last edited by CherryCreek; Jul 1, 2019 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
Thanks! I suppose in some ways its another "container ship" type building, though a reasonably good looking one. I think this type of building in this setting - right across from the train station, is better placed then the exact same building along a major urban corridor such as Welton. Nonetheless, I wish they could half the width and double the height!
Wasn't it about a month ago that rds70 gave us his rendering on this? Does that then mean that in about a month we should get a development announcement for Kenect Denver?

Next - Did anybody else notice the cool retro look on the Delaware Lofts at Denver Infill with respect to the parking garage? Presumably due to escalating construction costs I wonder if we'll see more of these retro looks?

Last - I see where the mid-year 'confidence report' of Colorado business leaders dropped including a "bearish" outlook. I was trying to remember if that's the indicator that happens right before economic collapse?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Although current funding projections for not inspiring much confidence in this arena, it would be great to see that L line extension completed sooner rather than later to enhance CBD connectivity with the 38th and Blake station.
It’s becoming increasingly needed as 38th & Blake becomes the epicenter of the new RiNo business district. It also would tie into the increased density along the Welton corridor.

Really interested in what happens at 36th & Downing with the mixed-use development planned there anchored by a grocery store.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:20 AM

Connecting all the Right Dots

I've read about, am familiar with the Urban Land Conservancy; they've been around since 2003 and their strategy is to buy and land bank "parcels of land in Metro Denver to preserve the affordability of future developments for long term community benefit. One big emphasis has been affordable housing.

Once FasTracks was approved which goes back to 2004, ULC started seeking parcels nearby to proposed transit stations. One parcel they acquired was near 38th and Blake Street. If you go back a decade or so, that's when you could still buy dirt when it was 'dirt cheap'. ULC's intent was to partner with someone who would build affordable housing and IIRC they originally struct an arrangement with Zocalo. Then nothing happened and a couple of years went by.

Then McWhinney was attached to the site referenced above for a 17-story apartment. I just assumed this would be affordable housing but the script had changed. You might recall McWhinney building the RiDE at RiNo of micro units that I happen to feature recently as a market rate answer to more affordable living. It's the apartments that caused a Sam Hill rant and question the definition of affordable.

ULC saw a different opportunity than originally intended. Due to the rapid appreciation of land values they cut a deal with McWhinney for some additional 'affordable' units and sold the land at a below but closer to market rate. ULC sold this site for $6.5 million; having purchased the land in 2011 for $1.7 million they banked a nice profit which will enable them to continue their public mission. This significant injection of new capital became an even better option to building designated affordable housing.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:59 AM

A Celebratory Anniversary

As U.S. expansion notches record, recovery may have only just begun
JUNE 30, 2019 By Howard Schneider - Reuters
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A now record-setting run of U.S. economic growth enters its 121st month on Monday, sustained by a decade of low interest rates and massive Federal Reserve intervention that helped put 22 million people back to work.

But the real economic recovery may only be in its infancy... It was only last year that U.S. gross domestic product caught up with estimates of its potential, surpassing where Congressional Budget Office analysts feel it would have been if the housing bubble hadn’t burst in 2007, investment bank Lehman Brothers hadn’t failed the following year, and the world had not cratered into a deep recession.
I say party like it's 1999 and order more of RyanD's favorite Luffing-jib cranes.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
It's the apartments that caused a Sam Hill rant and question the definition of affordable.
Hmmmm. I don't remember this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West